Bad Lot Of Reloder 19?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Anyone heard any reports of bad lots of Reloder 19? I went today with my standard load of 57.0 gr and a 140 AB in the 280 Rem. Velocity over 5 shots was 2732-2774 and the group was about 2.5".. I shot 5 across the magnetospeed to check speed and removed it for the 4 shot group..This normally produces 1/2 MOA and just under 3000 fps..At home I verified the charge with another dig scale and a beam scale and its spot on..I shot a few 120 TTSX's across the magnetospeed and they were right where they normally are, so the magnetospeed is working fine. I even measured the remaining rounds to verify and took some down and both the charge and COAL were spot on..I'm left with wondering if I have a bad lot of 19..This is a new bottle I just picked up this morning, and I'm out of my previous lot.

I have not heard anything about a bad lot of RL-19 recently, but there is frequently a bit of variability between lots, for any brand of powder. I suggest you bump your charges up a bit to see if you approach a satisfactory resolution to your problem. There’s nothing wrong with pouring a bit more fuel to the load, just do it in relatively small .3gr-.5gr increments keeping an eye out for pressure issues along the way. Understand that between some lots, you may never achieve identical velocity results or even identical accuracy results. There are plenty of newer technology alternatives to RL-19 that may help minimize this issue for you as well. I rarely buy less than 8 lbs of any powder at a time for these very reasons. Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakehammer":28oajiwp said:
I have not heard anything about a bad lot of RL-19 recently, but there is frequently a bit of variability between lots, for any brand of powder. I suggest you bump your charges up a bit to see if you approach a satisfactory resolution to your problem. Understand that between some lots, you may never achieve identical velocity results or even identical accuracy results. There are plenty of newer technology alternatives to RL-19 that may help minimize this issue for you as well. I rarely buy less than 8 lbs of any powder at a time for these very reasons. Good luck!!!!

Yea, I've seen the lot to lot variations before, but not 250 fps in variation before. Generally when I find a "Keeper" I'll buy 8 pounders, but all they had was 1-1 lb bottle in the store.

That is significant I agree. Is your brass the same? Different cases, different volume, different pressures, etc. You know the deal.

drakehammer":2bzt2f5u said:
That is significant I agree. Is your brass the same? Different cases, different volume, different pressures, etc. You know the deal.

Yep, everything is the same..Hornady brass fired in my rifle, neck sized with collet dies. And still using the same lot of primers. My friend has some 19 he bought about a year ago, I'm going to get a little from him and try again..I've called around and nobody has any, without driving 80 miles.

Over the years I have been pretty disappointed with my lot-to-lot variations on reloader 19. My last batch was awfully slow too almost a twin to reloader 22..... I do not think I will waste my time with anymore reloader 19 development.

Back