ballistic tips again...

boolit

Handloader
Oct 21, 2010
I sectioned a bullet with a file and don't really see the jacket thickness incresing enough to control expansion comapred to an AccuBond or Partition. How do you guys fair in the feild with these bullets?

They do what they are designed to do; they will not perform as advertised at impact velocities exceeding ~3000 fps. The are meant to be used on thin-skinned game.

I think it depends are what you want to do with them. Like Mike said, they are designed for deer and the bigger calibers are sturdier. I will try and section a few of the ones I have to show the difference. I can't imagine a better deer bullet if you are keeping them within their speed range. Scotty

i use them in my wife's 260. the 120 gr. kills deer on the spot and offer good penetration at the low velocity.( 2750 fps) internal damage is impressive.
i switched to these after using the 140 corelokt and having problem with them ( under expension and pencil hole thru the vital)

I just hunt whitetail... about 3000 fps.

I think I'll be good to go... thanks guys. Sounds like the BT will be good.

The BT is perfect for WT deer, just stay off the shoulders.

JD338

JD338":39dv8iaf said:

JD338

Sounds like great advice JD... only a broad side shot isn't always availible. Knowing me the BT will shoot great in my rifle.
The AB and Partition do fair. Although I don't have 130 AB's..... I have 130 Partitions.. I need to develope more test loads.
Seems like a month anad a half isn't enough time. I have RL22, H4831, H414, Varget,benchmark, IMR...4064,4895,4320,3031,4831,4350...

JD338":3mwif0by said:

JD338

Are you saying that this bullet WILL fail, if I nail a deer on it's shoulder? Has it happened to you or a friend?

Just read this from Midways site....

Russell McMurry of Lexington, SC Date posted: 10/26/2003

My brother loads my ammo for me and I'm shooting these bullets and grouping 1/2" with 4 shots at 100 yards. I shot a nice 8 pointer tonight at my hunting club through both shoulders ON PURPOSE to continue the point that I nor my brother have EVER seen a ballistic tip fragment or blow up. Tonight’s kill was, as usual a complete pass through and the buck only made it about 40 yards before he expired. The shot distance was 100 yards. I have killed almost every deer during gun season with the Nosler Ballistic Tip and have NEVER had a problem of any kind. So my brother and I strongly disagree that bullet performance is 'dismal' like some other hunters have posted. For over 12 years now, we have never been able to figure out why their bullets aren't performing like ours are. Excellent bullet, excellent accuracy, excellent performance, even when we hit bone.

But on the other hand...

Larry Pitts of Henryetta, OK Date posted: 11/17/2005

I have used these bullets in .270 Win. and now in .270WSM. I have no interest in using any other bullet for deer hunting. Some of the early production had a little thinner jackets and did tend to come apart upon striking bone but still produced spectacular kills. Later production have thicker jackets and hold together well. ( Is this true?) Very good accuracy and deep penetration with wide wound channel, ideal for whitetails and mulies

Roger Wood of Jefferson City, MODate posted: 12/17/2007This bullet is accurate and easy to load but I am going to give up on it. I have only used it on white tail deer. This season I loaded it down to about 2950 fps and found the performance to be the same as in the past. Shots on game have been from 105 to 165 yds and every bullet has fragmented and caused excessive meat loss. Luckily I got good shots all but one, which minimized the loss to ribs and in one case a small portion of the off side shoulder. The not so lucky shot was one I should not have taken at a running buck at 165 yds. The placement was a high and I lost both tenderloins and almost half of the back meat. This bullet will certainly kill, but I'm going back to one of the more solidly constructed choices. I simply don't understand the statements about bullet integrity made by others but my experience on several deer has been of a very large varmint bullet.

Depending on the caliber weight and impact velocity, you may end up with a lot of meat damage.
What caliber and weight are you shooting?

JD338

I have killed over 100 whitetails with BTs, never a problem. All size deer at various ranges. And in a variety of calibers.Rick.

boolit":18fx58bx said:
.270Win. 130 grain.

Great combo for deer. Keep your shots behind the shoulder for min meat loss and the deer will go 4 feet straight down!

JD338

Usually do...... Knowing me a biggin' will come pokin out without a clean shot.

There was a time were I used the 100 NBT from a 25-06 for everything. No problems at all.

POP":1mvgh127 said:
There was a time were I used the 100 NBT from a 25-06 for everything. No problems at all.

It's still that time here POP... 100 NBTs out of the .25-06 at pert'near everything.

Well here too....I just do not have a 25-06 on hand...at least until the next 5 days! :mrgreen:

No matter the caliber or bullet weight bullet placement is the key to success. I pass on any iffy shots. Rather talk about the one I saw than the one I shot and couldn't find.Rick.

The perfect shot doesn't have to be in order to make that shot. There are other alternatives, such as neck, throat shots.

The perfect shot doesn't have to be in order to make that shot. There are other alternatives, such as neck, throat shots.

The perfect shot may not present itself, but the shot should be ethical and have the probability of success. Each hunter is responsible to treat the game with respect. While a spine shot will indeed kill game, anchoring it immediately, the spine is a small area to hit. There is significant risk that a bullet will pass under or over the spine, damaging the trachea or esophagus. Damage to the trachea will eventually kill an animal, and damage to the esophagus, while lethal, can require a long time before the animal succumbs. Throat and neck shots are among the poorest choices for shooting an animal. It can mean a long tracking job.

Back