Barn Find.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Sorta, kinda. 3 rifles that were not stored in a good way at all. Damp room above an open basement. Lots of moisture.

My innate curiosity about tearing things apart and seeing how they work pays off sometimes when I run into stuff like this.

Remington 7600 243. Factory engraved receiver with the bears on left side, whitetail bucks on the right. Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x40/with 2 mags. Stored with the action open and was locked up in the open position. Already have it completely broke down. Cleaned up very nicely.

Rem 7600 30-06. Nikon 3-9x50. Will sell this scope as it doesn't interest me. Missing the mag. This one appears to function fine, but I will still tear it completely apart and clean everything up.

Winchester XTR M94 30-30. I know little to nothing about these but I do know this is one of the nicer ones with checkering. Appears fine on the outside, that light spot at the front of the reveiver is a glare, not bluing missing....small amount of rust at the very end of the bore. But the hammer doesn't go all the way front. I'm assuming from corrosion on the lever release tab inside, but I don't know. This one will be the most complicated by far to tear apart.

Bought these rifles too cheap, and said so at the time. But I didn't know what I was getting into. The recipient doesn't know this yet but if the 7600's don't throw me any surprises and the M94 works out okay, I'll go back and pay more, or give the M94 back, cleaned up and operating properly.

Nice find ST. Those rifles are dandy's for the deer woods.

JD338

Doubt I'll hunt with them JD, except maybe the 94 if I end up keeping it and liking it. It will lose those mounts and likely wear a different scope. I will however have to shoot them all when I'm done! :grin:

More or less bought them because they're all desirable rifles in today's world and I wasn't afraid to tear them apart, and could buy them cheap.

Don't think the 7600's are gonna be a problem, I started with the worst one and it cleaned up real nice.

Glad I was able to rescue them. They appear to be just starting some issues due to moisture. Another yr and they would've been pretty far along. Some other guns in that room that didn't fare so well.

I think that 94 is an angle eject. Probably good value there. Have to pull that scope off though, that’s sacrilege even though it looks like an AE. Haha.

gbflyer":1o1zj3ky said:
I think that 94 is an angle eject. Probably good value there. Have to pull that scope off though, that’s sacrilege even though it looks like an AE. Haha.

Yeah it's an AE. Agree with you on the scope. Not about high rise mounts especially on a lever, and for sure not with a 3-9x40. Some habits are hard to kick with some guys. Much lower mounts and a smaller scope will be in the future. Or no scope.

It's actually a pretty good looking rifle with some nice wood on it. Will be a while but when I get her all clean and slicked up I'll put up some better pics of it.

Thanks all. I know ahead of time the M94 is gonna be tricky. He was a genius engineer, but figuring out John Browning designs can leave the frontal lobe of your brain smoking from over exertion.

Will likely attempt that when I'm not distracted by hunting season, etc. These will be spic and span clean and as good as they can get when I'm done. That's part of the reward in the work for me.

I have a really good video about disassembly/reassembly of the model 92. There are some differences with the 94 for sure. Point being that if you find a good tutorial it really isn’t a big deal. I found the most important part was having good screw drivers that really fit well. So many Winchesters get buggered up when someone goes at it with the one size fits all Stanley from Home Depot.

Hope you’re able to post some before and after. Looks like a rewarding project.

Interesting fine. Even more is your honesty to go back and offer more for these rifles or re-gift. Hope they all cleanup and function well. That 7600 caught my eye. Dan.

Jeepers Shade- you did it again! A nose for finding stuff is an understatement. Why those receivers aren't all rusty is a wonder to me if the action was rusted stuck open....! Very cool, and your intent to "make better" on the deal is commendable. CL

cloverleaf":3tsbaymh said:
Jeepers Shade- you did it again! A nose for finding stuff is an understatement. Why those receivers aren't all rusty is a wonder to me if the action was rusted stuck open....! Very cool, and your intent to "make better" on the deal is commendable. CL

I would guess from wiping down with oil at the obvious places when put away. When stored in damp conditions like these were, that seeps into places you would've never thought of. On the 243 there was a little rust on both sides just behind the muzzle, and a couple spots on top of the receiver near the scope mounts. They all cleaned up nicely.

Far as I knew I'd be tearing that apart to discover the whole trigger group was rusted up as well as the firing pin. Didn't know what I'd find inside. Thankfully it wasn't.

The 06 is in about the same shape exterior wise. Couple rust spots just behind the muzzle. Didn't get to that one yet.

I paid a rip off price for these 3 rifles, and I know that. But 2 were non functioning as they sat and that was my don't know what I'm getting into, just in case price. If they all pan out like it's looking, I can do much better and still have a good deal.

gbflyer":2aunldbg said:
I have a really good video about disassembly/reassembly of the model 92. There are some differences with the 94 for sure. Point being that if you find a good tutorial it really isn’t a big deal. I found the most important part was having good screw drivers that really fit well. So many Winchesters get buggered up when someone goes at it with the one size fits all Stanley from Home Depot.

Hope you’re able to post some before and after. Looks like a rewarding project.

I completely disassembled the M71 348 I have that was my Dad's. Another John Browning design. Couldn't find nothing on that. Nothing. :shock: There were some things about it that were a brain fryer going back together for sure.

Why I figured this 94 wasn't gonna be easy either. But if there is a step by step tutorial out there that will certainly change things.

Oh my Damn! Jeeze, you always find some gooooood stuff! That 243 and 30-06 are awesome. Man, you done good. The M94 was just a cherry on top ST!

What a great score!

SJB358":2x9bg2v4 said:
Oh my Damn! Jeeze, you always find some gooooood stuff! That 243 and 30-06 are awesome. Man, you done good. The M94 was just a cherry on top ST!

What a great score!

Thanks. I also got 9 boxes of factory ammo with them, and both the hard cases the 7600's came in. If you knew what I paid for all that you'd call me a cheat. I offered what I was willing to pay for 3 rifles I wasn't looking for, and looking at some of the other rifles in that room made me cautious of a worst case scenario.

I got 7 hrs so far into the 243 and 30-06 getting them back to as good as I can get them on the wood and all metal, inside and out. The 06 isn't quite done yet. So far no major surprises, just elbow grease and time. I'm kinda looking forward to being able to go back and surprise with more money and still come away with a very good score.

Man oh man...that XTR is crying out for someone to scrape that wart off the top and put a nice receiver sight on it.

And then go thump something.

HodgemanAK":296zko8e said:
Man oh man...that XTR is crying out for someone to scrape that wart off the top and put a nice receiver sight on it.

And then go thump something.

I was thinking a flip up tang mounted sight would give it a classic look. But something like a Williams fool proof would also be an improvement. Or just stick with the factory irons for that matter.

But at this point all of that is far from the heart. First thing is to get it tore apart and functioning properly.

Back