Barrel break in.

I used to spend an entire day doing it on every new barrel! Shoot clean, shoot, clean thirty times!!!!

Now I just clean after every range trip. I've figured out that a new barrel deserves new brass, new brass has to be formed (fired) and sized before the load becomes stable.
By the time I've fired all my virgin brass and cleaned the rifle a dozen times I can guarantee the barrel has been broken in.

Never bought into this. Never done it for over 400 rifles.
Same. Not even close to the 400 rifles part, but used, new, I treat them the same. Never once started down the "break in" road.

Start out with a clean barrel, and clean as necessary, and based on what I'm doing with it.

I never did it before. Was wondering if it's worth it. Guess not. LOL

Never bought into this. Never done it for over 400 rifles.
OPPOSE ATF Nominee David Chipman - Firearms Policy Coalition

I've done it and not done it... can't really see any difference. Of course, shooting them and cleaning them is using them and breaking them in simultaneously. Maybe a guy who can shoot in the .2s with a benchers gun might benefit...but I'm a "minute of moose" kind of guy.

I think a "break in" procedure is a waste of ammo and mental energy.

I give the barrel a good cleaning right out of the box . I used to do the shoot 1 and clean for 3 times , then shoot 3 and clean for 3 times , then shoot 5 and clean for 3 times . then just shoot as you want . after reading Bartlein barrels method I do that now .

after doing this , I will get right into developing a load . I also have fired brass to work with .

I often read developing a load on a new barrel is not a good idea until a certain number of rounds are fired through it . if your not doing a barrel break in , what are you doing to get the rounds through it ?

Took it to the range and ran a boresnake through it for 5 rounds. Then shot it to adjust the scope. No load development just a minimum charge of h4831. Shot one 3 shot group measures 1/2".

Did a barrel break in once years ago on my sons 270. It's one of the worse fouling rifles I've ever seen. Guess it didn't help or I did it wrong. Personally, I think it depends on the quality of the barrel. Dan.

Done it both ways...
Shoot and clean as per recommended barrel break in, and just shot and cleaned as necessary.
Haven't seen a real difference...but as mentioned by others above...I am a hunter first and am not a benchrest competition shooter...so it has worked for me.

Believe it or not... only ever had one brand new barrel in - nope take that back - two brand new barrels in my life. Both rimfires. As far as other rifles... My uncle told me once, "dont be afraid of buying used rifles, most peple dont evr shoot them enough to wear them out". Not sure that applies to break in per se. other some one else had "already done it (or not) However, I have had several rifles that were way more accurate than I can hold. Good cleaning- yes- Many of them benefited from that effort but break in- no. CL

I've only bought 2 new guns. The rest were used. I only use them for hunting.

I look at it this way - it sure can't hurt. I will normally do a barrel break-in on a new custom barrel. It's a good way to initially fireform some new brass and to get the barrel seasoned in the process. Many accomplished reloaders claim that a new barrel will continually speed up for the first 100 rounds, give or take. That being the case, you can't start tuning loads while the barrel is changing its early characteristics.

"MOST" custom barrel manufacturers do recommend that you break-in their barrels.

Over on The Firing Line forum there is a sticky called The wisdom of Gale McMillan and his opinion on barrel break in. It's a bit long but well worth reading. FWIW, I'm inclined to agree with his way of thinking. Not sure if the link will wok so if it doesn't, you can go to the forum and in in The Art of the Rifle room.
I've never done a barrel break in and after reading his article probably never will.
Paul B.

Edited to add: It seems the original article has disappeared. All that seems to be left are the comments. Some useful info there and some quotes by Mr. McMillan.
PB

Last edited:
Did a barrel break in once years ago on my sons 270. It's one of the worse fouling rifles I've ever seen. Guess it didn't help or I did it wrong. Personally, I think it depends on the quality of the barrel. Dan.
In a barrel like that I'd use Tubb Final finish. If that don't break-in a rough barrel I don't know what will.

In a barrel like that I'd use Tubb Final finish. If that don't break-in a rough barrel I don't know what will.
I did use the Tubb Final finish process and reported it here last year. It helped some but not the improvement that I had hoped for. I'm satisfied with the groups it gives just wish it didn't foul so much. A minor inconvenience, I guess. Dan.

My preference is to clean it good then go shoot it a lot. If I’m using cup and core bullets I may never clean the barrel again. If it’s copper I clean every twenty rounds or so.

Vince

Back