Berger VLD bullets

edge":3idvcz9g said:
Now if only all of this were NOT in a thread about the Berger VLD and I'd be with you 100%.

edge.

Sorry, but I don't believe you, I don't think you would be with us a 100% on the Nosler bullet being the best for all around use if this were not a thread on the Berger. If so, then all that you doggedly argued in favor of the Berger was not what you really believe - which is it, you can't have it both ways??????

3b24f8d0.jpg

USMC89 showed me a 130 Berger from his 6.5 Lapua this Fall when I passed through Billings. I wanna say it was from an antelope at 400 yards. The bullet didn't open at all. It just tumbled, resulting in a dead antelope. He had the bent Berger in his pocket. I was a little shocked as I have come to think of the Berger as a easy expanding bullet that opens with little resistance. All the BC in the world can't make up for bullet performance. Again, not knocking them, cause when they work, they seem to be extremely deadly. Just doesn't seem consistent enough in my book.

bullet":16knsgkr said:
Sorry, but I don't believe you,

SNIP.

I am about to cry now :wink:

I don't shoot Bergers, and never have!
I am currently using Custom Competitions as my go to bullet.
I have used SMK's, SST's, and Accubonds.

Accubonds won't work for me under all conditions so I am not using them.

My problem with you is that when someone asks about a Berger you get your panties in a wad.
Every bullet has failed in some way at one time or another.
Yes it is a Nosler forum, but bashing other manufacturers is close minded...IMO.

edge.

Now we find out that you have so much experience in the field on game to comment on Berger bullets because you don't use them!!!???? :shock: You truly are hopeless and I don't wear panties :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bullet, cut back on the pharmaceuticals.

You will see that I NEVER argued for them, just that fragile bullets may be better at lower velocities where a tougher bullet may not work! You just had to bash other bullets!
I did not bash any bullet, that is your purview!

edge.

Edge, Everybody was being polite until you starting pushing Berger ahead of what people know works and now roll out the insults. Then you come back and say that you don't have field experience with this bullet after bashing us for being close minded? You have lost your credibility!

Oldtrader3":3xil47w5 said:
Edge, Everybody was being polite until you starting pushing Berger ahead of what people know works and now roll out the insults. Then you come back and say that you don't have field experience with this bullet after bashing us for being close minded? You have lost your credibility!

You seem to be either mistaken or are lying!
I never pushed the Berger, and CLEARLY stated I was shooting NOSLERs FROM THE BEGINING!

You either can't read or lie which is it?

edge.

Here is my VERY first post on this topic!

I have been shooting the Nosler Custom Competition 8mm 200 grain bullet with good results on whitetails.
With target bullets you do need to pick your shots, avoid big bones at close range and try to hit bone at long distance.

I like the AB at close range but 1800 fps for reliable expansion along with their somewhat lower BC's limit my range a bit more than I would like.

edge.

Ok .

How about we all use what we want and know what has worked for us in the past.

I can personally get by on Bergers up to the size of antelope, no bigger. Took two of them 210 grain 300 rum at 367yds and 140 grain 264 WM at 277 yds.

Accubonds have worked very well for me in the past, way past their claimed 1800 fps minimum impact speeds.

Partitions are my first choice for up close and personal at shorter ranges, as are Barnes TTSX, Swift Trophy bonded etc.

Lets press on. :mrgreen:

I would like to comment on long range shooting. (some with Bergers)
Just a year and a half ago you could count me as someone who thought 300-400 was a "hail Mary" shot at game. Even though I had a laser RF with the reticles I had it was "Kentucky windage" to a degree.
Last year after many hours of research I made a 6.5-.284 Savage build as a project and scoped it with a 3-15x and dial up turrets. I spent as much time as the Wyoming wind allowed shooting Bergers, Accubonds, and Sciroccos to 700 yds. I have to admit to being astounded at the results. I cranked off 3 rounds at 700 one day (with the 6.5) while sighting in my .300 Win for elk hunting and had a 2 7/8" group.
What I learned was there is a huge investment in time and effort involved to pull this off, doing it off an internet chart is only starting point and a lot of shooting at the range is required.
I'm convinced that applying this to big game is situation dependent. With everything perfect in the field, good rest, low wind, undisturbed animal, accurate ranging etc., I would be confident at 700 or a little more with some more practice. But when the conditions are less than ideal, to be ethical I know I have to reduce my maximum range accordingly. This requires discipline that every shooter has to adhere to according to his own skill and equipment capability. This is not new, but with evolving advances, this distance can be extended from what we did a few short years ago. Right? Wrong? Ethical? Only you can answer that for yourself. When I was younger, we threw out a pop can and if you hit it with your 30-30 you were sighted in. Personally before starting to shoot at big game at these longer ranges I want to spend some time on coyotes and prairie dogs first.
Choosing bullets parallels this somewhat. Matching the bullet to the velocity and the size of critter is each hunters responsibility. Range really makes velocity a guessing game.
My new long range rifle dropped a nice whitetail this fall at the mind boggling range of 110 yards.
Had to range him after the shot, no way he was going to stick around very long. That's hunting for ya.

My new long range rifle dropped a nice whitetail this fall at the mind boggling range of 110 yards.
Had to range him after the shot, no way he was going to stick around very long. That's hunting for ya.

I had to read this twice. I swore I saw another zero there :shock:

Back