Berger VLD bullets

FOTIS":366i3ejn said:
I do not think the% of bashing is that high. The ones that are bashing them is because the VLD's are unpredictable.

SNIP.

However if a bullet only does well 50 or 60 % of the time then I will call an ugly duckling as I see it.

:roll: :roll:

I think that you just proved my point!

Where did you get those statistics?

IMO, bullet failure from all manufacturers is WAY overstated. I always hear that a bullet fails when someone fails to collect their animal, but it almost always comes from poor shot placement, IMO.

High shoulder shots at high velocity with fragile bullets is unwise as is using a harder style bullets at extended ranges.

edge.

I will post them as soon as the gale Wyoming winds relax a little.

Well I hate to be the first liar (I'm not really) but I've killed elk, antelope, and deer over 800yds. I've also killed caribou over 600yds and moose close to 600yds. I've also killed tons of rock chucks over 800yds. The elk I shot this years was just under 400yds and a friend shot his at 612yds. I personally draw the limit for me at 1000yds but I also practice to that distance often.

since your wanting to diss the accubonds, what do the bergers have over them?
this was with the lowly AccuBond 160 gr .284
1350.jpg

that was with an impact velocity of just under 1600 fps, exit was the size of a penny
RR

I will take your word for it because I know that you shoot a lot and own many rifles that you partially built yourself. You are one, you have you bones and can stand on them! A lot of the people on this forum appear to be seasoned hunters who take some responsibility for their actions. I just get fired up when an abortion like the Montana Warden show gets on national TV to be seen by 20 million people. Pretty soon these poachers will be runnning it on You-Tube for hits! This casts all of we hunters in a really bad light!

I look at the average member who comes to our gun club, with 1800 members, and I do not see more than maybe two dozen of the shooters who can shoot at this level and repeat it on command. I know that there are folks out there who can shoot. I see some every week but they aren't the ones who run into the range and shoot 30 shots a year in a pie plate at 25 yards with their barrel on a sandbag to sight in the day before deer season and yell, I'm ready to go hunting!

I can kill an elk at 500 yards too by experience and shooting ability but I won't because of other considerations. I guess with the season's having gone on for some months now, I just have hero shooter, hunting story burn out!

RR

I like that picture and your rig.

That is pretty good performance and expansion at that range. Where was the shot placement on that deer?

JD338

JD338":2s3o2g6l said:
RR

That is pretty good performance and expansion at that range. Where was the shot placement on that deer?

JD338
impact was behind the shoulder, exit was at the last rib, held center shoulder but windage was off almost 1/4 moa.
RR

Ridge_Runner":1p0a7cwk said:
JD338":1p0a7cwk said:
RR

JD338
impact was behind the shoulder, exit was at the last rib, held center shoulder but windage was off almost 1/4 moa.
RR

Thanks RR.

So even with out hitting any major bone, the 7mm 160 gr AB had minimal resistance at sub 1600 fps impact velocity and still expanded to the size of a penny. I think that says a lot about the AB. Pretty good performance in my book.

JD338

Oldtrader3":3t1vwb4w said:
I will take your word for it because I know that you shoot a lot and own many rifles that you partially built yourself. You are one, you have you bones and can stand on them! A lot of the people on this forum appear to be seasoned hunters who take some responsibility for their actions. I just get fired up when an abortion like the Montana Warden show gets on national TV to be seen by 20 million people. Pretty soon these poachers will be runnning it on You-Tube for hits! This casts all of we hunters in a really bad light!

I look at the average member who comes to our gun club, with 1800 members, and I do not see more than maybe two dozen of the shooters who can shoot at this level and repeat it on command. I know that there are folks out there who can shoot. I see some every week but they aren't the ones who run into the range and shoot 30 shots a year in a pie plate at 25 yards with their barrel on a sandbag to sight in the day before deer season and yell, I'm ready to go hunting!

I can kill an elk at 500 yards too by experience and shooting ability but I won't because of other considerations. I guess with the season's having gone on for some months now, I just have hero shooter, hunting story burn out!

I saw that show too and those people I wouldn't consider hunters. I can't believe they didn't get the book thrown at them.

I don't go looking for long shots generally but I'm not afraid to take them either when that is all that is presented. I tend to put my limit at around 1000yds not because I can't shoot further but because the time of flight starts to get long, it's even harder to judge wind the further it is, and most of the time it's not hard to get closer. Basically it gets way easier to make a mistake the further the shot and I'm not willing to take that risk just for my ego. A poor shot at long range is more likely to result in a lost elk compared to deer or antelope in my opinion. So I try harder to get closer to elk.

BTW I do all of my own gunsmithing not just parts of it. I will try and take pictures when I build my next rifle so people can see the whole process. Well the barrel fitting anyway. It's a relatively simple process but it does take time to run the chamber reamer in.

IdahoCTD, I see now that you do. I was a machine design engineer and automation engineer for a lot of years and physically helped build and debug (including lathe and mill work) my machine designs for customers or plants. In retirement, I no longer have the shop facilites or machine tools to do much but certainly understand the drill of it. I still do some home-smithing and stockwork on my and my kids stuff.

RR, that is a great picture. I know a lot of people spend the time and effort learning to shoot and practice enough to do that. I used to shoot at long range constantly for practice. As I stated, I have never shot anything deer sized or larger at more than 425 yards, just personal limits.

I am not trying to aggravate those who do, just slow those who are dreaming a little too hard.

These cop shows have an agenda and it is very anti-gun and very anti-hunting. These cop shows are produced by the same mainstream media that produces most TV shows and the more slob hunters and (low grade-knuckle dragging) gun offenders they can show on National TV, the easier it will be for Obama-Feinstein and Company to severely stack the Supreme Court and suspend the Second Amendment if they are reelected this year. Obama has promised he will enact UN Agenda 21 in this country and I believe that he will try. So does the NRA, BTW.

I think the advent of laser rangefinders has driven this long range craze we see today. Before that we had to use old WWII military optical rangefinders that were expensive and damn near as big and just as heavy as a gun. I still have two of them, both made by Zeiss. When lasers were first brought out I bought the best one on the market. It was made by a company out of Colorado that made the laser speed guns for the cops. It was suppose to be good to 2200m and I've ranged stuff out to about 1800yds with it. It looked just like the cop lasers but had a scope mounted to the top of it. When people didn't know how far the animals were they were less likely to take a risky shot. Now that they know how far it is they become instant "snipers" without practice. The sad thing is there are probably more wounded animals today because of it.

That is my point, exactly. Technology being used for a purpose that it was not intended for. I have seen too many hunters get untracked with elk and do strange stuff, like one who worked his bolt four times, held the cartridge down and dry cycled the firing pin four times and swore he shot and missed! He had not fired a shot! Or people who with a broadside shot hit the middle of the animal (paunch) and either never saw the elk again or had a 1-1/2 day tracking job and a mess. Just lots of examples seen over a long life and we all have our moments.

My dad, who was an excellent shot and could wipe me any day of the week on small game especially flying ruffed grouse, but would take 3-4 shots at running whitetail at 30 yards and never did kill one (that I am aware of) but he could kill moose with that rifle with one shot, explain that one!

OK, you guys convinced me!

No other bullet will work but a Nosler. No one that ever used a Nosler ever lost an animal and they shoot like laser beams out to infinity with zero wind drift and expand darn near zero fps, cool.

Now if only all of this were NOT in a thread about the Berger VLD and I'd be with you 100%.

edge.

edge":ad3bot31 said:

No other bullet will work but a Nosler. No one that ever used a Nosler ever lost an animal and they shoot like laser beams out to infinity with zero wind drift and expand darn near zero fps, cool.

Now if only all of this were NOT in a thread about the Berger VLD and I'd be with you 100%.

edge.

Glad to have you on board buddy! You made a great choice.

edge":37rq1qf2 said:

edge.

I can see your willingness for openess and considering other options now. This is, after all the NOSLER site and I would bet that a lot of people here have been the Berger route and tried their billets over the years because many of the people here are open to change, looking for optimal performance and are always receptive to something new and better. That does not mean that we throw away what we know works in the meantime.

Back