Best reloading dies

I do have an assortment of dies also and may have a set of Herters and I know I have a set of Texan 30-06 dies, Hornady and Dillon. RCBS dominates the majority and then Redding is what I have been buying lately and just bought for the 338Win.

BretN and TMH, I have Lee dies for my 7-08 and 223, they work well, plus Lee has great customer service just like RCBS.

Thanks DrMike of your input.

TD, where did you purchase your Redding dies for you 338?

My favorite dies, and arguably the best, are from L.E. Wilson, Cashmere Washington.

They don't fit a standard press. Have no threads. Must be used in an arbor press, and they only neck-size & seat. However they've been used to win national championships. In my case, I only handload three cartridges using Wilson dies: .204 Ruger, .25-06, and the .308 Winchester. They're really quite good.

http://www.lewilson.com/

Regards, Guy

NWBlacktail":1hiw8wsy said:
I use mostly RCBS. I have one set of Redding Competition dies, and they are very nice.

One thing about the Redding comp die sets. Redding needs to fire the designer of the box they come in! Once you set-up the die, they won't fit in that box again. lame.... :mrgreen:
+1000

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm with Scotty! I've seen the biggest difference using Forster dies in my 300 RUM. Need to get some for the 30-06 and 35 Whelen at some point.

Don

Kouros1":2jybm2a9 said:
NWBlacktail":2jybm2a9 said:
I use mostly RCBS. I have one set of Redding Competition dies, and they are very nice.

One thing about the Redding comp die sets. Redding needs to fire the designer of the box they come in! Once you set-up the die, they won't fit in that box again. lame.... :mrgreen:
+1000

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

this box will hold the redding micrometer dies while assembled .

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/81896 ... ge-box-red

I have redding , redding bushing , Lyman , RCBS , pacific , 1 Lee collet die set , 1 Hornady die set . they all work well , especially for hunting ammo . I just don't care for the Hornady set . I do like the redding micrometer dies. they just makes it so easy to adjust seating depth when loading different bullets . the Lee collet die is also a nice die . I use it with a redding body die .

I have loaded with RCBS dies, since the late 50's early 60's. I don't know whether or not, they are the best but most of my serious rifles shoot 1/2 MOA. I have never had any issue with them

I looked at the Forster dies but can't justify the price I have made good hunting ammo with all the brands I have, the Reddings are a little easier to work with and the customer service is very good.
I stuck a piece of brass in my 35Whelen sizing die and bubba sized the expander ball knocking it out of the die with a punch and they replaced it free of charge. I do have a die the threads cracked on and I need to send it back for repairs or replacement. I think the set screw that locks the adjustment ring is the culprit of this. I do like the old style split locking ring better that RCBS once used.

Lee for all the pistol calibers, as well as 30/30, & 223.

In rifles beyond previously mentioned, I have a mix of about all excluding Foster. Hornady, RCBS, and one set of Redding, most of which were received in trades bought used or on sale.

I shoot service rifle HP and have worn out one FL Lee resizing die. All my match & varmint 223 ammo is loaded with Lee equipment.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

When I started reloading I have used solely RCBS, and now I just use Redding. They have worked good for me. Easy to adjust. Except that the seater dies won't fit in the box once its set up.

I was strictly a RCBS user for 40 years and I still use the Rock Crusher Supreme for seating, but in the last 5 or 6 years I have replaced everything to Forster I love my Co-ax for resizing :wink:.
Don I read where you stated that you have switched to Forster (y) just letting you know that they do not have the selection in dies that some of the other companies do. Last time I checked they do not make dies for the 35 Whelen :( or my 280AI.
Another company that I have heard very good reports from is Wilson.

Blessings,
Dan

I've had great luck with RCBS, Lee, and hornady. I have to say though I love the 4 die sets from lee to reload my revolvers with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use RCBS mainly. Also have a couple of Redding comp/micrometer seating dies.
The RCBS f/l dies I set up very carefully each time & they give extremely low case neck run out @ .0005" usually. Anything greater I attribute to brass thickness variations.
The seating dies from both are pretty good & with a bit of care, reasonably consistent. Very accurate micro marks for adjusting seating correctly on both.
I just don't bother neck sizing at all now.

To me die selection has been "interesting" I have over the years collected different dies, and brand for same cal. trying to match the re-sized cases to the chamber size in the rifle, as they not all give the same dimension. I some times think it is a hit/miss luck and not a specific brand of dies. Because I shoot some what unusual cal. I have lately ordered from CH, which can just about make up dies for any cal., and custom make for your rifle chamber if so necessary, Other vice I use RCBS, Redding, Bonanza/Forester, Hornady all in a miss/match. gunnar

Looks like RCBS dies are pretty good.
002_zpszn6pcn1e.jpg

This one is over 40 yrs old and has sized more than a few thousand cases.
Billy

Back