Best Varmit rifle/Caliber out there

bsick1

Beginner
Jul 12, 2005
Ok All, I asked this question over on a few other of Nosler's forums, Just Want to make sure I get every last opinion out there. (there are some VERY Knowledgeable people over there! Thankyou!!) I'm gonna buy a new Varmit rifle (actually for my wife) I want to buy a factory rifle that will perform out of the box without huge dollars of inprovements. Being it is for the wife, I'm sure you all know, the less I spend on her, the more for me :grin: :grin: Here in western NY, We have rolling hills covered with Alfalfa and full of chucks. There is usually a slight breeze (0 to 10 mph) and seldom a shot over 300 yds. , most in the 100 - 200 range. My 25-06 is a little hot for her, so anything from .243 down is in the running. Here are my top caliber choices right now, but with good reasoning, could be changed.
22-250
220 swift
243 win
22wssm
17 Rem

manufacturers
Savage
Tikka
Remington
Winchester
Ruger
Marlin
Others?
other things to consider. SS, Twist rate, Wood vs composite.

First of all, you ommitted one of the most appropiate and popular cartridges used for varmint hunting, the 223 Rem. The .223 is more than up to the task of taking groundhogs at the ranges that you mentioned. Using a heavier cartridge wiil only shorten barrel life, increase noise, increase recoil and waste powder. :roll:

I've been using my .221FB at those ranges with excellent results and it is a small-fry compared to the .223. IMO, go with the time tested and proven .223.

As for the rifle; I'd pick one of the Remington Varmint rifles. Getting a good shooter is pot luck in a factory rifle but it doesn't need to shoot like a laser to take hogs at 200yds or so. Besides that, every gunsmith in the country works on Remingtons. You can easily add the bells & whistles as you need or want them. Tons of aftermarket accessories available for you to consider too.

Well, now you have another opinion to make your decision more difficult. :lol:

Well, if your wife is anything like my wife, all the stuff you mentioned isn't very important. For my wife the number one criteria is, "how good does it look?" :grin:

I'm only half kidding. I don't know what your wife's interest is, but at my house all the technical stuff doesn't mean squat to her. Having a gun she is proud of and looks good to her will get her to the range and to the field more often. I found out the hard way that what I liked and what she liked were a bit different. For Instance, I have beautiful H&S Precision stocks on most of my hunting guns, she hates them, she likes pretty shinny carved up walnut. We do both agree on matte black for the scope though.

I agree with charlie, go with the 223. Easy to buy, easy to reload, easy recoil, lot's of bullets, and it works.

I did leave out the .223 on purpose. About a month ago it was my first choice because of price. I then started to look a little more to the traditional High speeders and got caught up in that circle. I wanted to see it it would float back to the top. It did on several forums...Tell me, What twist rate should I go for? I think savage offeres a 1:9 only. Who owns a T3? Savages are shooters, I hear. Rem. 700 I got a few, Love 'em, but I am looking for bang for the buck.

Based on your post and a couple of the responses here, that is a no-brainer. I would highly suggest the Remington 700VLS. It is a little heavy, but for shooting chucks, who cares?

Those rifles shoot very well and are generally pretty as well. A woman likes pretty things. My mother for instance, thinks that my dad's new rifles with the glass stocks are ugly while a couple of mine with laminated wood stocks are ok with her.

For caliber, it would be darned hard to beat the old standby 22-250. Period!

About the only thing the 700VLS needs to be a great rifle is a trigger job or the addition of a good aftermarket trigger.

There you go!

R F

I would avoid a Remington rifle. They have a poor safety reputation with accidental discharges.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... /308108203

If the wife does not have a deer rifle then the 243 with light loads would be good for chucks. The 55 gr and 58 gr bullets are excellent.

If she has one already then a 223 or even a Swift would be good. Keep in mind that part of recoil is really the noise and the 223 makes less.

A varmint rifle for your wife. Rrriigghtttt. Good one. Now the real question here is your budget because that can potentially eliminate a whole lot of options, and also could have a serious impact on caliber choice, too. If you have any budgetary constraints, or need for multipurpose applications? (Does it need to be capable of deer hunting as well?) Is it for walking about and carried, or is it primarily for shooting off a rest of some kind?
If you are interested in bang for the buck, the Savage rifles are very accurate and cost effective, both in sporter and heavy barrel configurations. For a cheap sporter dual purpose, the Stevens 200 in .243 would serve well, but no Savage could be considered a classic beauty. For a budget pretty rifle, consider a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa 1500 with wood stock.
For caliber, I too would opt for the .223 Remington for a wonderful efficient cartridge. While the Savage comes with a 1 in 9" twist, I would prefer a 1 in 12" to give better performance from the lighter 40 to 50 gr bullets. (IMO the best bullet weights for the smaller case .22 centerfires) Of course the Savage would do a better job of stabilizing the heavier .22 bullets for longer range shooting, but for what you describe, I think a 50 gr Ballistic Tip at 3400 fps out the muzzle would work great. I also assume you will be handloading for the rifle, but if not, there are decent factory ammo offerings for the .223 and are available at lower cost than the 22-250, .220 swift or .204 Ruger.
Now if you have no budgetary restrictions, then the sky is the limit. Pick whatever rifle is most attractive and feels the best. I still like the .223 Remington just because it has reasonable performance and allows you to actually see where your bullets strike (provided you shoot from a rest). The .22-250 and up have just enough recoil to prevent the shooter from spotting for himself (or herself). Again, without budgetary constraints, you can go wild. Go for a .22-250, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift or .204 Ruger. Plan on replacing the barrel every couple of years (every year if you elect to go on prairie dog safaris) And of course with no budgetary restrictions, you would have no need for any "dual purpose" capable rifles, since you can have a different rifle for each critter you intend to hunt. Maybe a new Sako 75 hunter for deer in .260 Rem, and a Sako 75 Varmint in .204 Ruger, throw on a couple of Zeiss or Leupold VX-III scopes and you are out a paltry 4 grand or so. The groundhogs will be just as dead with a Savage in .223, but those Sakos are pretty!
Seriously, the recommendations depend on your particular situation, which only you really know. For your wife, really. :wink:

Any of the Savage varmit rifles in 223 or 22-250. Best accuracy for the money. I've never played with a Savage varmit that wouldn't go at least 5/8 inch with pet loads. Most went under 1/2 inch.

Brad

Well.... you know I'll have to test drive the rifle first... and make sure that it continues to shoot well over the years. As for the type of hunting we do... In our neck of the woods, rifles are for Varmits only. We can only shotgun deer. (go figure, Our county has the highest , or nearly highest whitetail population per acre in the Northeast) We do a little walking about, Maybe a mile or two, but love to set up on a knoll overlooking the dips where they love to dig in. A Bipod is usually all we use for rests unless we get lucky enough to drive to the best vantage point, which is rare.
Budget, I am on a budget, but wood is perferred. A heavy barrelled savage is on the top of the list, but I do have a major concern bout the 1 to 9 twist... Is there a better rifle out there, accuracy for dollar and a more approperiate (sp) twist. Does the Weatherby .223 have a different chamber than the Rem. .223? I guess the only place that this is of concern is the reloading dies. I know little about the Stevens, and I did see a new Rem 700 for under 525.00 the other day. But again, it is hard to beat the Savage package deal at 439.99 at dick's sporting goods...
I am still shopping around.
I did notice that the Savage model 12"s plastic stock does not seem stiff enough to support a bipod. I, as well as my wife do not really like the looks of plastic. Little is prettier than American Walnut! Even the plain Savage Wood stock is more appealing than even expensive plastic. Understand that Chucking in western NY is a fair weather sport. The Chucks like warm sunny summer afternoons, not rain and snow, so if the conditions are harsh, I'm reloading (although Stainless with Walnut sure is my favorite combo)

I'm sure that you want to buy your lovely wife a varmint rifle, but you forgot one thing. You might end up getting to shoot it if she gets bored with chuck hunting. Buy her a nice rifle, something that both of you will enjoy.
My suggestion would be the 6mm PPC by Saco. Great rifle, moderate price, and it looks good! Ruger made a run of 6PPC's in the early '90s, you might be able to find one used at a gun shop, or online.
The cartrige spits a 65gr bullet out at about 3100fps and is extreeeeemly accurate (my PPC shoots consistant 0.425" - 5sht. groups at 100 yds.), and with light recoil especially from a heavy barrel.

Remember; "only accurate rifles are interesting"

6mm PPC by Saco. Great rifle, moderate price,
Actually it is Sako, but great rifle, yes, moderate price? Well, maybe for a used Ruger if you get lucky, but the actual Sako is pretty spendy. And have you priced the dies? How about brass? It is NOT easily formed form any other case, and boy are Norma and RWS proud of that particular caliber.
I found a place where you can buy it for a mere $133.95 per 100. That means, inluding shipping, it is about a buck fifty per case for empty brass.... I guess you could order Lapua in .220 Russian from Midway and try to neck it up.It is only $60 per 100 plus shipping. Not sure how easy it is to neck up or how long the reformed brass would last. Obviously you can buy 300 rounds of loaded .223 ammo (Black Hills Shooters Supply 50 gr Vmax, remanufactured brass), or 400 rounds of Winchester new brass USA 45 gr JHP) for the price of 100 empty cases for the 6 PPC.
For what you describe, I still like the .223 Remington. In the 700 VLS, if it fits your budget, or a Savage heavy barrel if looks aren't important but accuracy is. Mild enough recoil so you can spot your own shots. Cheap to feed, very effective for what you are planning.

Ignore the folks talking about guns firing when the safety is switched! This happens when shadetree gunsmiths play with triggers (or fire and their life). Don't look past Rem Varminter .22-250. This will minimize the effects of the wind compared with the obvious second choice, .223. It would be nice if you could get a slow twist to shoot the 68+gr bullets, but the 52 gr AMAX/SMK loaded to 3700-4000 will vaporize your 300 yd and less targets.

With some 55 gr FMJs loaded just to form brass to my chamber for neck sizing, my 22-250 has shot sub-MOA groups out to 535 yards. The most impressive group to me was my younger brother's group. He placed 5 rounds in 4.9" (3 shots were <1") in a 10+ MPH variable crosswind. Oh and it was his first time to fire a rifle past 100 yards.

I agree with you guys, 22-250 is the way to go.
I have a M700 VLS for vatmints and predetors. Nosler 50 gr BT's do a fantastic job on everything. ALways a 1shot kill and the bullet isn't bad on coyote. Exit holes are the size of a nickel through the ribs.

Regards,

JD338

I have two favorites that I use for woodchuck and would hate to have to pick between them, a .22-250 and .222Rem. Mag. Both sport Hart SS varmint barrels and shoot in the .2s" and .3s". Mainly I shoot Nosler 50 and 55gr. Bal. Tips. Both [erform very well. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

For chuck hunting, 22-250 or the Swift would get my vote. About double the range of a .223, accuracy is just as good with pet loads. Shots are not usually fast and furious as to P-dogin, thats why I would pick one of these. For P-dogs, .222 Rem, or .223 Rem is hard to beat for barrel heat and life.

Hi All,

I was just wondering why the ole .222 Remington is not suggested anymore? it would seem ideal for this application :roll: I would have thought a wod stocked Tikka would be ideal and unless they have dropped it recently Tikka chambered the .222 in their rifles as it's still very popular in Europe. Accurate and mild manered what more could one ask for? :grin:

I suggested it. I have one in a Rem 700 ADL. It has a wood stock, 24" sporter barrel. I have a Leupold VX3, 2.5-8 and it shoots like a house a fire with 40g VLC's at 3700fps. Will shoot under .25" all day long. The reason why no one suggests it because no companies that I am aware of chamber it anymore. I bought mine used from an older guy that gave up shooting. He said he hadn't shot it for over 15 years. I think it was made in the early 80's. I know I love mine and would not sell it for anything. I just cant wait to shoot the barrel out and put a fat target barrel on it and really see what it does.

I agree about the .222Rem. It'll go down as a classic. I have other varmint rifles that I take more often to the woodchuck fields, but for the pure joy of shooting and accuracy it's hard to top the old triple deuce. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

If cost is the primary consideration, go with any of the Savage Varmint models. For a little more money, you can get a Tikka Sporter.
Hard to argue caliber, because we then enter the realm of "religion/politics". No one's mind is ever changed when argueing those topics. My own personal selection, if I could only own one, would be 22-250. I own three, to include .223, 22-250 and .243Win. If I am going to shoot within the limits that you lined out and could only take one of my rifles, I'd opt for the Tikka Sporter in .223Rem.

Try a Savage in 204 Ruger. I shot 22-250's,223's,and 204's. If your wife likes no recoil and a rifle that shoots as flat as a 22-250,get the 204. The recoil is so little you can spot your shots through the scope. It's hard to explane untill you shoot a 204, but the recoil is less than a 223 Rem. Try the 39 gr blitzking and Rel 10x.

Back