Best Varmit rifle/Caliber out there

loads of Great info , if your wife shoots a lot then get her something in the 22-250 range if not the 223 will do what needs doing, as will the 222 remington. in what rifle? its pretty much a toss-up, take her shopping for her rifle , let her get the feel of different stocks etc... tell her cost does matter in rifles as well as with clothing no pun intended, give her free rain but protect her from ignorant aggressive sales people, keep us informed on this out come!!!! Women are fantastic shoots , tell them THAT!!!!! guy''s .... regards too all jjmp

I suggest the .223 Remington in a rifle with 1 in 7 twist (if possile) or the 204 Ruger, with the latter outperforming the 22-250, 222 Remington, 220 Swift and etc...

If your wife is going to be using the rifle you might give some thought to its weight. My Remigton VLS, while a very good shooting varmint rifle weights about 12lbs. My custom .22-250 runs about 13lbs. Neither is very appropriate for a woman to lug around woodchuck fields unless you have a golf cart to tote it in. In recent years I'm starting to swing back the other way, towards portability. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Brithunter wrote: "I was just wondering why the ole .222 Remington is not suggested anymore?...."

When Eugene Stoner developed the AR15, which became the US M16, in the 1950s, he used the .222Magnum. The cartridge worked very well but the US Military dickered with it, wanting something more and the military 5.56mm/.223Rem was born. The .223Rem pretty much killed the .222Mag, because very near to being identical and the .223Rem was produced in much higher numbers, causing prices to drop and make it very attractive. I think that the .222Rem simply declined along with its' Magnum brother, in the face of competition from the .223Rem.
Like many older cartridges that are "discovered" by firearms journalists, I believe that the .222Rem is poised for a comeback!

ANything the 223 does, the 222 will do it with better accuracy and only lose 100fps. Why the military didn't adopt the 222 is beyond me. Mike Walker is a genious. It ruled the BR community for 20 years, I can see why. I have shot a couple .1 groups with it, 3 shots are 1 rounded bug hole. Several loads group under .25" at 100 yards. All this coming from a sporter weight rifle. I dont like 223 simply for the fact that everyone else likes it. I usualy like to be a little different :grin:

If I could only have one "Varmint" caliber it would probably be the 22-250, but I really like the .223 Rem for Prairie Dogs

texas shooter wrote: "If I could only have one "Varmint" caliber ...."

While the .223Rem and 22-250 seem to still reign supreme for varminting. The .20cal seems to be making headway. I have not fired a .17cal centerfire, but I am suspect as to how that light bullet can buck wind in areas where prairie dogs are taken?
Unless the .222 cartridge sees a great resurgence of interest, it will languish in the back water, used by those who are dedicated to the .222 and reload too. I have noticed that when I get a used rifle in .222 to sell, it goes quickly.

I've got a Rem 700 Sendero in 25-06. I don't think any of the calibers you suggested comes close out beyond 500 yards.

Michael Courtney

Agreeing with several of the responders, 22-250 and the Swift are great choices. I would like to add the 243 WSSM to the list. I can push a 58 grain moly at 4000 fps using 46 grains of H4895 AND get sub MOA out of a 22" lightweight barrel. Not much recoil, either. For your KY hogs at a max of 300 yds, you could slow it down some while reducing recoil even more if you wanted.

Michael wrote: "I've got a Rem 700 Sendero in 25-06. I don't think any of the calibers you suggested comes close out beyond 500 yards. "

You must go after really huge prairie dogs! I have been criticized for overkill on prairie dogs, when I have used a bull barreled .243Win!
Varmint Hunter Magazine offers a trophy patch for anyone taking a prairie dog a 500 yds., with witnesses. Wind will generally cause 500+ shots on prairie dogs to be very difficult to perform in any consistant manner. This in any prairie dog shooting that I have done, from Montana to Kansas. If wind is fairly constant, one can walk rounds in, providing the dog stays up and allows a few chances at nailing him.
Groundhog shooting on the east coast can be quite different on a really calm day. Still air and larger target really does slant the odds in favor of the shooter. No?

Chalk up another vote for the 700VLS in 22-250. I really am a 220 Swift guy, but own both and would take the 22-250 for ease of obtaining a variety of factory loadings if I needed to use them [Heaven forbid!!] Regards, Eagleye.

bsick1":2tctfgqg said:
Ok All, I asked this question over on a few other of Nosler's forums, Just Want to make sure I get every last opinion out there. (there are some VERY Knowledgeable people over there! Thankyou!!) I'm gonna buy a new Varmit rifle (actually for my wife) I want to buy a factory rifle that will perform out of the box without huge dollars of inprovements. Being it is for the wife, I'm sure you all know, the less I spend on her, the more for me :grin: :grin: Here in western NY, We have rolling hills covered with Alfalfa and full of chucks. There is usually a slight breeze (0 to 10 mph) and seldom a shot over 300 yds. , most in the 100 - 200 range. My 25-06 is a little hot for her, so anything from .243 down is in the running. Here are my top caliber choices right now, but with good reasoning, could be changed.
22-250
220 swift
243 win
22wssm
17 Rem

manufacturers
Savage
Tikka
Remington
Winchester
Ruger
Marlin
Others?
other things to consider. SS, Twist rate, Wood vs composite.

Might be considered nit picky but........

17 caliber is a 177" diameter bullet - cartidges are few
20 caliber is a .204" diameter bullet - the 204 Ruger is the only cartride I know of
22 caliber is a .224" diameter bullet - cartridges are many
24 caliber is a .243" diameter bullet - cartridges are many
25 caliber is a .257" diameter bullet - cartridges are not plentiful but sufficient

Do you reload? If yes, I would take a serious look at a 221 Remington Fireball (22 caliber). Light recoil, beautiful rifles, good ballistics, and just rare enough to hold and increase its value.

bsick1":3f4c129s said:
Ok All, I asked this question over on a few other of Nosler's forums, Just Want to make sure I get every last opinion out there. (there are some VERY Knowledgeable people over there! Thankyou!!) I'm gonna buy a new Varmit rifle (actually for my wife) I want to buy a factory rifle that will perform out of the box without huge dollars of inprovements. Being it is for the wife, I'm sure you all know, the less I spend on her, the more for me :grin: :grin: Here in western NY, We have rolling hills covered with Alfalfa and full of chucks. There is usually a slight breeze (0 to 10 mph) and seldom a shot over 300 yds. , most in the 100 - 200 range. My 25-06 is a little hot for her, so anything from .243 down is in the running. Here are my top caliber choices right now, but with good reasoning, could be changed.
22-250
220 swift
243 win
22wssm
17 Rem

manufacturers
Savage
Tikka
Remington
Winchester
Ruger
Marlin
Others?

Buy a Savage 12 FV in 223 to cmpliment your 25-06 and be done!

If this is your only varmint rifle between you I would start with the 223. Some of the others make way more noise and the guns report is quite annoying to others in particular in the summer time.

The Savage 12 that I had was very heavy. Just a 22" or 24" sporter weight barrel would be just fine.

Good luck.

Savage99 did write: "The Savage 12 that I had was very heavy. Just a 22" or 24" sporter weight barrel would be just fine. "

Of course a "sporter weight barrel" will serve to shoot whistle pigs, but then you must contend with too much heat in the barrel and fluxuating heat changing your point of impact, as that light barrel heats and cools rapidly. Varmints aways seem to appear in bunches and it is very hard to use discipline in not allowing a lightweight barrel to overheat when the targets are coming fast and we want to continue to bring them under fire. In those situations you can't beat a heavy varmint barrel for varmint shooting.

why not include the 204 mine is working just as well as my 22-250 at ranges up to 300 yards

bsick1":1pgshdzy said:
22-250
220 swift
243 win
22wssm
17 Rem

manufacturers
Savage
Tikka
Remington
Winchester
Ruger
Marlin
Others?

Whatever you do forget the 223 WSSM. It is trash man. 90% or better of all the people I know are experiencing huge difficulty with accuracy and throat erosion!

POP did write: "Whatever you do forget the 223 WSSM. It is trash man..."

It has also been reported that in hand loading, one can easily experience painful finger pinches when trying to feed those tiny cases into the die.
I have been convinced that the penchant for shorter has gone beyond good sense.

No bull! I have buddies with Winchester Coyotes (semi-heavy barrels here) that should and will shoot moa on demand with many other calibers. Same guns in 223 wssm and the guys are struggling to get 1.5 moa or less. :shock:

Back