Big North Carolina Bear

Curtis Pittman

Beginner
Nov 5, 2009
Yesterday was the opener for the North Carolina bear season. This bear was killed about 100 miles from my home and weighed in at 760 pounds!
noelhbear09a.jpg

That is a huge bear!!! He's been eating good.

That would be one heck of a critter to haul out from a deep, nasty canyon... Hopefully they could just drive the ol' pickup (and front end loader) over to him...

Are soybeans why they get so big there? Must be something for 'em...

I didn't kill him but thought some of you might be interested in seeing him. He is a great bear! The world record Black Bear weighing 880 pounds was killed about 40 miles from my home 11 years ago.

The bear here have access to plenty of corn, wheat and soybeans. They are also famous for raiding dead holes and dumpsters at area poultry and hog farms.

Thanks for posting the picture, Curtis!!

There are some big bear in NC and I really hope to hunt them one day. I just have no idea about any quality/reputable bear outfitters in NC.

That is an awesome bear. Wow, most guys would be happy to kill a grizzly that size. I know I saw some really big bears on the Camp Lejeune Ranges while training. Don't think I ever saw something that size, but they do get pretty big. Scotty

Very, Very nice bear, I am so happy for you and your face shows that is true. Good job, what rifle and cartridge as well as bullet did you take that bear if you don't mind me asking.

That is a monster. A friend of mine took one 2 years ago...just under 600lbs. With his thompson contender pistol in 45-70. Full size standing mount. Quite impressive.

Long

What a hog! Big bear, you must have some good genetics and a lot of feed to grow big bears like that. He is world class for sure.

JD338

Back