Binculars

brianwyo":1houl68c said:
JD338":1houl68c said:
You fellas are right, Meopta makes the Cabela's Euro binoculars. They are made with Meopta second grade glass.

JD338
Meopta second grade glass looks real good to me! Meopta binoculars are awesome in my book.

Brian,

Did you look through my Meopta's last fall?

JD338

JD338":2lltm5nh said:
brianwyo":2lltm5nh said:
JD338":2lltm5nh said:
You fellas are right, Meopta makes the Cabela's Euro binoculars. They are made with Meopta second grade glass.

JD338
Meopta second grade glass looks real good to me! Meopta binoculars are awesome in my book.

Brian,

Did you look through my Meopta's last fall?

JD338

Jim,

I didn't even notice the meopta binoculars, I was too busy drooling over your 280 Ackley. I now have a stainless Model 70 in 270 that needs a new barrel. Hmmmm I wonder what to do with it? I have a great idea but I am too busy stocking up on ammo, bullets, primers and such. Last year I spent a week with the Cabelas euro and my Swarovski at my house. I prowled around my place in the dark and could not say one is brighter than the other. Thank god I don't have neighbors or they would have called me in for being a peeping tom. Brian

brianwyo":1lj0hxh8 said:
Jim,

I didn't even notice the meopta binoculars, I was too busy drooling over your 280 Ackley. I now have a stainless Model 70 in 270 that needs a new barrel. Hmmmm I wonder what to do with it? I have a great idea but I am too busy stocking up on ammo, bullets, primers and such. Last year I spent a week with the Cabelas euro and my Swarovski at my house. I prowled around my place in the dark and could not say one is brighter than the other. Thank god I don't have neighbors or they would have called me in for being a peeping tom. Brian

I here great things about the Cabelas Euro bino's...

Not sure if there are any rules around resurrecting old posts, and if I'm breaking any, I apologize. I do have another question though.

That is: 7/8x or 10x? I find that even after adjusting my current roof prism binoculars, eye strain is noticeable. So far I've attributed this to the 10x magnification and defaulted to 8x in my search for potential replacements. However, I'm wondering if the better glass would actually solve the problem, and I could get by comfortably with 10x...

What do you guys use??

There's no rules against re-opening an old thread, if the thought/question is relevant. Noslerreloading is pretty laid back about stuff like this. Now, reopening 50 old threads a day would likely get a dirty look or twelve, but one is not going to be a problem.

To answer your question, I use a pair of Bushnell Legend 10x42s, with no noticeable eye strain, even when glassing through the woods or on top of the mountain in the open for 30min or an hour at a time. I do occasionally have to readjust the diopter due to the binos not being perfectly equally focused across the entire focal range. The dioptered lens focuses ever so slightly quicker than the left eye lens, and thus from close focus out to infinite focus, I sometimes find a slight adjustment necessary. It may be a few bumps and bangs these binos have had, and then again it may be their overall quality, or it may just be the obsessive-compulsive user. I guess we could say, in that last instance, it's a nut behind the lens...

But in all seriousness, I'd see about borrowing some binos from your hunting friends if you can, or see about renting a few pairs from a local birding store or something. It might help you figure out what you want. As well, it sort of depends on what 10x you currently have. If they are a pair of $300+ 10x, it might be the magnification, but it might just be the specific binoculars you have. If they're $50 10x, it's not the magnification.

Of course, to offer just one more counterpoint to the discussion, I don't think you'll see anything with 10x that you won't see with 8x. I have 10 because when I went to get them, 8s were not available, and I have zero patience for crap like that. So I got the "in stock" 10s and have been happy ever since. I'll likely augment my gear with another pair (maybe 8s to help justify it!) just to see about reducing some flare when I have to view into the direction of the sun, as in several key stands on my hunting lease at daybreak and dusk.

I use a pair of Zeiss T* 10x42 binoculars (Victory's) and have never had any eye strain in the ten years that I have owned and used them. I also use them for bird watching which is worse than hunting for eye strain without issue.

Hegland":1jb0mrk5 said:
Not sure if there are any rules around resurrecting old posts, and if I'm breaking any, I apologize. I do have another question though.

That is: 7/8x or 10x? I find that even after adjusting my current roof prism binoculars, eye strain is noticeable. So far I've attributed this to the 10x magnification and defaulted to 8x in my search for potential replacements. However, I'm wondering if the better glass would actually solve the problem, and I could get by comfortably with 10x...

What do you guys use??

If I were to buy another pair of bino's, 8X42's would be my choice. I have 10X Zeiss Victory's, but they aren't as useful in the timber as they are in the wide open. Just my opinion though, but they both work, but the 8X's would work better for me.

I think you guys are hitting on a key point, and that is environment. Where I notice the strain the most is in close timber for whitetails, and/or really low-light (night) conditions.

Dub, I have now a pair of green-ring 10x45s that Leupold imported. Great during the day, and for viewing long distances, but in the above scenarios I seem to get tired. Thus the search for the next step. And Charlie, I think you're probably right in that magnification in and of itself doesn't necessarily equal eye strain.

Still, I keep coming back to the 8x Trinovids. Now, to find $1500 lying around...

Thanks again for all the pointers. I'm grateful for everything I've learned on this board.

I read this again and saw the argument between 8x and 10 glass. My only comment is: when I lived in Georgia and hunted in the mountains there, I used 8x glass and it worked great. Then when I moved to Utah and hunted in Utah and Wyoming and started hunting at 8,000 to 11,000 feet and I wondered why I could not see what I wanted to with those 8x gasses, at 300+ yards. That is when I switched to 10x and I have been a happy camper since.

Hegland":12vbs1db said:
Still, I keep coming back to the 8x Trinovids. Now, to find $1500 lying around...

The Trinovids present excellent glass, that's for sure.

Tell me about the Leica's Swaro's Kahles Zeiss and Stieners. I need to get myself a nice set of binos before this fall. Looking at 42-50 mm obj. I can get the Stieners or Kahles for around a grand just wondering what your guys opinion is on these. I don't know what my budget is yet but I'm not skimping out I want the best glass I can get.

Those you name are all superb, Jake. You wouldn't be displeased with any of them, I should think. I have owned Zeiss and Leica, and used Swarovski. All were easy on the eyes and give me excellent resolution and clarity, permitting me to see what others often missed.

Jake, I have a the 10x42mm Zeiss Victory RF's and they are excellent bino's, clear, rugged and the RF feature is pretty nice to have. I am not sure I am good enough to spot the difference between Swaro, Zeiss and Leica glass, but I do know it is all great. I truly think Leica is the best stuff out there for the money.

One thing I know for sure is a quality set of binoculars has been the best addition I have ever made to my hunting kit. They are my most used tool and I don't know how I got along without them before buying them.

That said I have swarovski slc 10x42. I really like the Leica also when I bought seven years ago. I went with swarovski based on ergonomics and feel. I didn't care for the zeiss but that is just me. If I had to buy again I would stay with swarovski but go EL because of the additional weight savings. I am 100% sold on swarovski based on my experience.

I will say remember stretch your budget if you can. I bought my slc's for 1200 and could have had EL's for 1800. Now slc's are 1800. They are only getting more expensive every day. Two things for hunting I won't skimp on and that is binoculars and boots(danner) the tools use the most.

Jake, have you looked at Kahles binoculars? If I did not already have the Zeiss Victory's, I would be all over the Kahles 8-42 or 10-42 binoculars, built in Austria and priced at about $1000. They are excellent optics for a reasonable price and they are first class.

Charlie,

Never seen a pair but Bear Basin has them and for $1000 if they are good as those of you who own there scopes are I think they may be a huge bargin. That's the part thats holding me back is I think it's tough to fork out that kinda money for something you have never touched. A couple local dealers carry Swaros and Zeiss so I have had the opportunity to look at them.

Second, I'm also thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the ones with a built in rangefinder they only add a couple of ounces to the weight and you then have one unit. Which is better Swaro, Zeiss, Leica? It's kinda begging the question Ford, Dodge, Chevy.

ldg397,

I agree I have a Z6 on my 280AI, amazing glass. Everytime I shoot that rifle I feel like a little kid in a candy store! Seeing deer at 200 yards two hours after sunset with no moon is absolutely impressive!

nvbroncrider":1ole52bz said:
Charlie,

Never seen a pair but Bear Basin has them and for $1000 if they are good as those of you who own there scopes are I think they may be a huge bargin. That's the part thats holding me back is I think it's tough to fork out that kinda money for something you have never touched. A couple local dealers carry Swaros and Zeiss so I have had the opportunity to look at them.

Second, I'm also thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the ones with a built in rangefinder they only add a couple of ounces to the weight and you then have one unit. Which is better Swaro, Zeiss, Leica? It's kinda begging the question Ford, Dodge, Chevy.

ldg397,

I agree I have a Z6 on my 280AI, amazing glass. Everytime I shoot that rifle I feel like a little kid in a candy store! Seeing deer at 200 yards two hours after sunset with no moon is absolutely impressive!

Jake, I run the Victory 10x45's RF's and I will NEVER be without them. It is just too nice to have the bino and RF all in one unit. When weight and speed count, you cannot beat them. I will say I am not partial to Swaro/Zeiss/Leica, but would get whichever pair I could afford. I think all three of them are going to give you awesome service.

nvbroncrider":ptvni4c1 said:
I'm also thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the ones with a built in rangefinder they only add a couple of ounces to the weight and you then have one unit. Which is better Swaro, Zeiss, Leica? It's kinda begging the question Ford, Dodge, Chevy.

The glass in each of these units is excellent. You wouldn't be displeased with the glass in any one of them. Swarovski and Zeiss have the controls for the right hand, which is an advantage if you are right handed. The new Leica RF has switched the control to the right hand. Mine, an older pair, are for the left hand. In terms of quality, each will deliver years of service with clarity and resolution.

Oldtrader3":jlyv512t said:
I read this again and saw the argument between 8x and 10 glass. My only comment is: when I lived in Georgia and hunted in the mountains there, I used 8x glass and it worked great. Then when I moved to Utah and hunted in Utah and Wyoming and started hunting at 8,000 to 11,000 feet and I wondered why I could not see what I wanted to with those 8x gasses, at 300+ yards. That is when I switched to 10x and I have been a happy camper since.

These are the exact thoughts that made me switch from my Leupolds to my Meopta Meostar HD's referred to earlier. An elk hunt and then a Texas open country deer hunt sold me on the need to upgrade. When you can't tell if it's a rock, bush or deer there's a problem.

Not to belabor the issue, but before you buy the Swarovskis or the Zeisses I'd seriously recommend a comparison with the Meopta HDs. There is a reason these Meoptas are so highly rated.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... ars-review

If you use Cabelas, they are the Euro HD binoculars.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104217480

I will second, Patrick. Meopta and Kahles have always been the value binoculars but with excellent optics, optical alignment and built to last. You should look at one or both, if you can, before spending the extra money.

I keep mentioning Kahles for two reasons: they are 48% owned by Swarovski and are very close optically. Secondly, Swarovski and Kahles parted ways as an operating partnership about 2010 and not having Swarovski resources, sales, marketing and US based service has hurt Kahles sales but not their quality. Kahles scopes sell for around $1600 and up. Because of the break with Swarovski, the binoculars have not had the innovation for three years now and that is why they are so cheap but the quality of Swarovski is still there. SWFA carries Kahles.

Back