Blackhorn 209 Powder

Wow, who would've guessed that components for more primitive weapons would get to that kind of money. Got a new flintlock I haven't fired yet, I'm assuming the powder for that isn't so ridiculous.

I have older neighbors that have both the knowledge and the ability to make their own. I don't know the rules concerning such things, and I don't ask. :whistle::D

When we were having black powder matches at our range, we could order 25lbs. of Goex have it dropped on the porch cheaper than buying Pyrodex from Walmart. Haven't bought any of either for a while and Goex went out of business. Hopefully the new owner will have it up and running soon. Dan.

My wife and i took a little trip to KY this week and I found some 209 powder at a gun shop for 55.00 they had about 6 so I bought 1. Dan.

High dollar stuff for sure but I do like the less fouling it provides over 777. It's not like I'm a high-volume muzzle loader shooter so I'd pick up a jug of it when I find some. Dan.
I wished I grabbed a big jug when I could have years ago! I love the stuff!

Just go with Pyrodex. Your buddies will know by the white mushroom cloud looming in the distance that you shot, and you can follow a nice black streak on the ground and tree trunks all the way to the point of impact! ;);)

It's difficult to justify using a muzzleloader at $170/pound for the powder.
Approximately $1.70 per shot just for the powder, plus the bullet, sabot, etc.

I realize that's still cheap compared to the overall price of almost any hunt, but when MI now allows "any legal weapon" in most areas during muzzleloader season...it's easy to grab a centerfire instead.

I use BH209 in my 50cal Encore rifle. But now that 1lb cost $140 plus $20 to ship and $20 for hazmat, the $180lb is not a viable option. The Barnes bullets I use are fairly pricey too and the 209mag primers are just hard to locate. When I'm out of components I'll probably sell the rifle. I enjoy shooting and hunting with the ML but you've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Just plain ol' shooting is becoming a rich man's sport.

I use BH209 in my 50cal Encore rifle. But now that 1lb cost $140 plus $20 to ship and $20 for hazmat, the $180lb is not a viable option. The Barnes bullets I use are fairly pricey too and the 209mag primers are just hard to locate. When I'm out of components I'll probably sell the rifle. I enjoy shooting and hunting with the ML but you've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Sadly, a position that an increasing number of shooters are going to face.

It's great stuff, cleans up easy, hardly no smoke, no issues with a crud ring, no swabbing the bore and highly energetic.

Both of these are very true.
BH209 is much nicer to use than the traditional black powder, but they may price themselves out of the market. You'll have to find it at a local store to consider using it.

I understand the cost verses the use but personally I don't shoot my inline as much as I do centerfire rifles. Think of it as shooting a big bore that costs more than a smaller cartridge. When and if BH209 isn't available for what I'm willing to pay, I will revert to TTT7 as before. I'm not going to quit for as long as I'm able to enjoy it. Just my 2 cents. Dan.

I understand the cost verses the use but personally I don't shoot my inline as much as I do centerfire rifles. Think of it as shooting a big bore that costs more than a smaller cartridge. When and if BH209 isn't available for what I'm willing to pay, I will revert to TTT7 as before. I'm not going to quit for as long as I'm able to enjoy it. Just my 2 cents. Dan.
Point well taken. (y)

Both of these are very true.
BH209 is much nicer to use than the traditional black powder, but they may price themselves out of the market. You'll have to find it at a local store to consider using it.
Im set on BH209 for a while. I still have 2 bottles that I snagged a couple years ago at a Wally World end of hunting season clearance sale. I got both bottles for 14 dollars a piece, that's right, 14 per bottle. LOL

I received an email from Brownells. They have Blackhorn 209 in stock for $81.99 for an 8oz bottle. I nearly dropped my phone once I read the price.

Back