Bolt pistol

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So got a crazy hair up my butt and for shits and giggles i want to build one. Had a scrap of wood so even thought about doing the stock myself for a true one off custom. Some good learning curve for the inlet but got a barreled action into the prototype. Took off too much material in a couple places, but decided to continue with the inlet so i could see what other issues might come up. Going to keep this square and use as a template.
Anyway the 700 action and stock barrel, cardboard set to show where a 16" and 14" barrel would be, I'm leaning towards a 14" + brake. Heavy barrel and probably in a 6mm BR with a ramage nut. Looking forward to the project, its been fun so far.

Attachments

• 20220220_124948.jpg
    20220220_124948.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220220_124915.jpg
    20220220_124915.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 24
There is a federal law against converting a rifle to a handgun, which may apply in this case:

"

Can I lawfully make a rifle into a pistol without registering that firearm?​

No. A firearm that was originally a rifle would be classified as a “weapon made from a rifle” if it has either a barrel less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches. If an individual wishes to make an NFA firearm, they must first submit ATF Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm), pay a $200.00 making tax, and receive approval of the application from ATF before converting the firearm.
[18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3); 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(3)-(4)]"

FYI, Guy

Wow! It would easy to become a criminal. Not that one has to try with the myriad of laws on the books. The heads up could save a lot of grief.

There is a federal law against converting a rifle to a handgun, which may apply in this case:

"

Can I lawfully make a rifle into a pistol without registering that firearm?​

No. A firearm that was originally a rifle would be classified as a “weapon made from a rifle” if it has either a barrel less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches. If an individual wishes to make an NFA firearm, they must first submit ATF Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm), pay a $200.00 making tax, and receive approval of the application from ATF before converting the firearm.
[18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3); 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(3)-(4)]"

FYI, Guy
Guy,
I have looking into it a bit, and my understanding is if I order just a new bare/virgin action is comes as an "other" on the ATF 4473, neither pistol or rifle. Therefor I would not be converting it, but I will double check, as Dr. says, I don't want to be a criminal . I know I can't just cut this barreled action down I am just using it for fitment. I found a couple articles on rifleshooter.com that explained it.

Last edited:
Good looking out! I should have explained myself better off the get go. Someone could have read it and not known the legal ramifications of using a action that was previously a rifle.

BTW, that seems to be a pretty decent chunk of wood you're working with. Am interested in seeing further on this project.

Regards, Guy

Wow that looks nifty! I was actually thinking of making something like that myself eventually, probably in .243. And thanks for the heads up on the laws Guy. A ridiculous restriction in my opinion, but hey, I think law abiding citizens should be able to own whatever they choose since the criminals we are defending ourselves from don't seem to have any problem using restricted weapons against us, so whatever. 🤷‍♂️

Pardon me for getting political above. I didn't mean to be discordant, I was blowing off a bit of steam in the wrong place that day.

Here you can see where i took off too much material. I am still messing with the grip shape to find what fits. I am back home full time the end of the month, and with days getting longer and the weather getting nice I'm hoping get something put together.
Oh and the wood is a scrap piece of wenge from the neighbor and there is enough left to make a final stock when i figure it all out.

Attachments

• 99550.jpeg
    99550.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 99551.jpeg
    99551.jpeg
    829.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
As long as the barrel is 16" or longer and the overall length is 26" you are good to go.

If it is a Non-Designated action, there is no barrel or OAL requirements.
Looks like you are getting there!

Ok here it is. Oiled the stock and let it set for a week while we drove across the country, ordered a Leopold vx3 2.5-8 x 32 handgun scope today for it.
I'm excited to shoot it, and very pleased with how it turned out.
Final part's list:
6mm BR Norma
Defiance Ruckus Tactical action
14" 1-8 twist McGowen #5 barrel
Timney Elite Hunter trigger
Timber Creek Heart Breaker Brake
Sapele wood stock and brass trigger guard, Handmade by Me

It's been a really fun project

Attachments

• 20220718_201603.jpg
    20220718_201603.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11