Bow buck number two !

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Been waiting since October 1st for the weather and my work schedule to synch up.
Can only hunt weekends and for some reason since the season opened in Ok on Oct 1 every weekend we've had N or NE winds.
That just won't work with where I set up my bow stand.
FINALLY got a break and yesterday AM the wind switched to SE so off I went.
Got to my stand and bumped a buck and doe out at 6:15 as I was getting in.
Had forgotten my headlamp so I climbed up in the dark and got settled in.
Wasn't 5 minutes later I heard a deer walking around under me.
Saw a deer jump into back corner of the feeder pen around 6:20.
I heard another deer walking up to the feeder, looked down and it was right at the base of my ladder stand looking at the deer in the feeder pen.
It jumped and and I could see their outlines moving around and hear corn crunching.
Next thing I know, I hear antlers rattling together ; they are sparring with one another so knew I had two bucks in the pen, but no idea if they were shooters.

At 6:40 I thought I heard another deer coming in from my right. I slowly turned my head and looked and there was a doe standing 10 feet from the ladder looking at the bucks under the feeder. She jumps in the pen and in about 2 secs later jumps out and trots away.
As I was watching her exit I happened to look where she was headed and saw another deer's face about 200 yards NNW of me .
Still too dark to get a positive ID but I knew I was a deer. This deer was directly downwind of me and I never dreamed it would make it all the way to the stand without smelling me, so I kinda half way ignored it. But I couldn't completely for I kept expecting it to blow, stomp it's hooves and alert the bucks in the feeder pen. Looks like a doe in the dim light though.

Fast forward, 7:05 AM.
The two bucks are still in the feeder.
The third deer is now 40 yards away with it's head down.
It steps into view as it raises it's head. Nope not a doe. It's one of the deer on the list of shooters.
He comes up to the feeder and starts raking the daylights out of a Bois d'arc tree with his antlers.
Finally he jumps into the feeder pen.
At 7:10 I shot him.
Broadside at 16 yards.
He jumped at the string and ran off about 30 yards then stopped and started wagging his tail like a dog.
I'm horrified thinking " How the hell did you miss that shot ? "
He just calmly walked away, pausing a couple of time to wag his tail.
At about 60 yards I see him wag his tail and then lay down .
I thought WTH ?

The longest 20 minutes of my life later I found out I had double lunged him.
October is off to a great start.

Nice job Howard. You are stacking them up in TX with your bow.

JD338

Congratulations, Howard. That is, indeed, a fine start to October. Deer surely do react funny at times to a sharp arrow passing through the boiler. Fine looking deer, at that. (y)

Nice Howard! Stack em like cord wood!

Deer do act funny that is for sure. I remember my first bow buck... way back in 1995. I took a 20 yard shot right at last light. He jumped once... started wagging his tail, looked around and tipped over..

I had shot high and severed the femoral artery. Blood covered every leaf for 20 feet around him.

Great Buck Howard!!

Nice!!! Congrats! I've never hunted in a stand. After losing two arrows in stalk hunting.... I'm reconsidering my strategy. I've taken a few shots off my deck in the backyard, but do you aim low or pin them, aim at the distant side of the deer?

Congrats! I wish I hunted a state where I could shoot more than one buck with my bow in a year!

Very nice buck and one I'd be proud to take.
Congratulations sir.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wyo7200":3kojktsq said:
Nice!!! Congrats! I've never hunted in a stand. After losing two arrows in stalk hunting.... I'm reconsidering my strategy. I've taken a few shots off my deck in the backyard, but do you aim low or pin them, aim at the distant side of the deer?

Sight your bow in at 20, 30, 40 etc.
Shooting out of an elevated stand you have to draw and anchor just like you're shooting on level ground. Once anchored bend at the waist to lower sight pin where you want arrow to go .
DO NOT LOWER YOUR BOW ARM, you'll shoot over them every time.
Aim for the exit hole on the opposite side of the deer which is 1/4 up body right on top of offside leg.
You'll take out both lungs and the heart.

Back