BR2 vs CCI 200 ?

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
Do I need to re work a load if I switch to BR2 ?
The current load is at 56 gr of Imr4350. for 3006 .

Thanks.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

165 gr Nosler BT

The brisance differential should not differ greatly, if at all. Nevertheless, because it is a different component, you are always well advised to drop down at least minimally in charge weight to ensure there are no surprises. I would likely drop back at least a grain or so and ensure that accuracy potential and velocities didn't change dramatically.

Thanks Dr. Mike !

When I do the math for dropping back 10%of 57 gr of powder , I get 56.9

Surely that can't be right

Never mind , it would be 51.3

At primer change I drop about 2 grains with charges under 60 grains and 3-4 on charges 60+ grains. Or about 3% on average......if want to be really safe drop 5%. But the below process will work either way.

i.e take my known velocity lets say current load is 60 grains at 3,000fps.

60gr @ 3,000 is making 50fps per grain (Velocity divided by charge weight)

Now with new primer check speed at say 58 grains and get new velocity of i.e 2929fps

2929 divided by 58 made 50.5fps per grain so NOW take original velocity of 3,000 divided by new fps per grain of 50.5 and will give me new charge weight to go with the new primer or

3000/50.5= 59.4 grains new load total to match original speed first attempt.

I go the same process when I switch lot # on powders............

MAinAR":2e8gvw7w said:
At primer change I drop about 2 grains with charges under 60 grains and 3-4 on charges 60+ grains. Or about 3% on average......if want to be really safe drop 5%. But the below process will work either way.

i.e take my known velocity lets say current load is 60 grains at 3,000fps.

60gr @ 3,000 is making 50fps per grain (Velocity divided by charge weight)

Now with new primer check speed at say 58 grains and get new velocity of i.e 2929fps

2929 divided by 58 made 50.5fps per grain so NOW take original velocity of 3,000 divided by new fps per grain of 50.5 and will give me new charge weight to go with the new primer or

3000/50.5= 59.4 grains new load total to match original speed first attempt.

I go the same process when I switch lot # on powders............
This is good to know, thank you !!!!!!

What percent is used to change bullets with the same grain weight ?
165 gr for another.

I just don't see as much change in different bullets of same weight if similar in design, but better safe than sorry so yes, I still do basically the same process when I change ANY component.

MAinAR":6p8yg7n9 said:
I just don't see as much change in different bullets of same weight if similar in design, but better safe than sorry so yes, I still do basically the same process when I change ANY component.
Thank you !

Of course Dr Mike is right...but I switch between CCI200s and BR 2s interchangeably. And your load is pretty mild.

joelkdouglas":3i0qi4c2 said:
Of course Dr Mike is right...but I switch between CCI200s and BR 2s interchangeably. And your load is pretty mild.
Thanks !

joelkdouglas":1bpsadla said:

Me too. They seem to be pretty much the same thing, except I get better 300 - 600 yard groups out of my .308 when I use the BR primers.

Guy

I have read that the difference between BR 2 and regular 200's is who worked on them on the assembly line. I switch between BR's and regulars without changes and have for many years.

Bullets on the other hand do require some rework IME.

Back