brass quality - hunting rifle

I have been fooling around with 110 Accubonds and W-W, plus R-P cases, trying to find a load that will shoot the 110 AB's accurately in my .257 Roberts. So today, I took some 110 AccuBond Nosler factory loads to the range and tried them out at 100 yards in the heat! The best groups that I had worked up with the other brass and this bullet shot around 2 inches at 100 yards.

I think that this final group today answered my questions about what brass to use for the 110 AccuBond, Nosler! Not only do they shoot the most accurately but they are the fastest as well (3140 fps)!

Target27-16-13_zpsdd42c643.jpg

Don't overlook PRVI Partizan if you're shooting a common caliber or one of the military metrics previously supplied only by Norma. I've found it to be on-par with the better European stuff, far better than anything made by Remchester.

Works very similarly to Lapua brass. Nicely annealed, good concentricity. It is bulk packed mass produced brass so you'll want to neck size it and chamfer. Really shoots well in my Swiss and Swede rifles.

Great tip on the PRVI brass going to try and find some 264 WM brass which is listed on their website. The W-W brass I have leaves a lot to be desired in this caliber unfortunately.

OT3,
I feel you on the factory 110 Accubonds in .257 Bob! My wife's petite little Kimber 84M puts them into under an inch! Better than when I was trying to handload for it. I found a good deal and picked up five boxes. I intend to set up the seating die on one of the factory cartridges before they run out and play a little with powder charges. Obviously, my seating them out a little farther than the factory didn't help my cause much. NM antelope, here we come!
Also, the quality of Nosler brass blew me away when I bought some for my Legacy in .300 Win. The weight tolerances, flash holes, and mouth chamfer are top notch. To me, time is money and my rifle sure seems to like their brass.
Joe

I began to convert to Nosler brass. Just got some for my 264 mag.

Me too Joe! I have a standard action and magazine box in my FN Browning for the .257 Roberts and can set them to 2.920 COAL or longer even but the long handloads have not yielded groups under 2.0 inches. I have tried IMR 4350 and Hybrid 100V with longer length to no avail with this rifle. Next is IMR 7828 SSC and fooling with COAL starting at the Nosler factory length. Maybe that will work?

I do not know what powder Nosler uses but I am getting 3140 fps mean velocity with their factory loads? Pretty fast for a short .257 Roberts load? I only have two boxes of Nosler 110 gr AB loads left! All other bullets (85 BT's and 100 PT's) shoot way under MOA with long COAL but not the 110 AB's.

FOTIS":3mcpu10e said:
I began to convert to Nosler brass. Just got some for my 264 mag.

I have used the Nosler 264 Win brass and it certainly is much better than the W-W brass I have.

I need some for my 7mm08 but have not been unable to find any Nosler brass for almost a year now. Sure be glad when they finally put out some more. My M48 is a tack driver but with Nosler brass it is a one slightly exaggerate hole maker.

I was using both Norma and Nosler brass in my .340 Weatherby and could find no measurable differences in weight or dimensions. In some calibers, I am pretty sure that Nosler uses Norma brass.

gerry":1vo8h9n2 said:
sask boy":1vo8h9n2 said:
Hey gerry, where can you find Norma brass north of the 49th?
I have looked for but never seem to be able to get my hands on any :(

Blessings,
Dan

Sent you a pm Dan, these guys supply Norma, Lapua and Nosler brass.

http://www.rpsinternational.com/2013_No ... ft_feb.pdf

I too will have to look for the Norma brass. I have some older Norma brass which is going well over 12 reloads and still acts and looks like new. It has been the best that I have tried so far. All my hunting loads are loaded in what I have left of Norma. I have never tried Nosler brass, but have looked at it and have been thoroughly impressed by what I saw. I might have to give it a try in the 30-06 and .308 and see what it is like.

I'd like to know who makes .300 Win Mag brass for Black Hills.

I managed to acquire 100 rounds of Black Hills brass for my .300 Win Mags and just ordered 100 Rounds of Nosler .338 Win Mag brass. I'm chomping at the bit to try the .338 Model 70 I acquired.

Could any of you guys tell me why there is such a price difference between similar calibers/cases with the Nosler custom brass? For instance Midway has 338RUM brass for 58 bucks for 25 but 300RUM is 75 bucks for 50 or 300WSM is 60 bucks for 25 and 300 SAUM is 70 bucks for 50. Just curious why some calibers come in quantity of 25 and similar calibers come in 50.

Maybe the demand for the bullet or popularity? No idea, just thinking aloud.

remmy1187":1dr4342z said:
Could any of you guys tell me why there is such a price difference between similar calibers/cases with the Nosler custom brass? For instance Midway has 338RUM brass for 58 bucks for 25 but 300RUM is 75 bucks for 50 or 300WSM is 60 bucks for 25 and 300 SAUM is 70 bucks for 50. Just curious why some calibers come in quantity of 25 and similar calibers come in 50.

Supply and demand. Elementary economics.

Funny thing about brass. I love good brass. The Norma/Weatherby brass I'm using with my 270 and 300 is very nice, and very easy to load. Comparatively, the Rem/Win brass I'm using in other rifles is not nearly the initial quality. But, for my rifles, I get good accuracy and consistency out to 400-500yds (my personal limit) with my 'bees and also with my other rifles. In fact, my two consistently most accurate rifles are my 270Wby and my 30-06 Colt Light Rifle. The 'bee is using Norma headstamped brass, and the Colt cycles Remington cases. I can't for the life of me figure out how to justify spending the money on Nosler brass for my rifles except in the 'bees, where regular brass options are also similarly priced.

Don't get me wrong, I like quality, but I can't justify the difference in cost when I get good results from Rem/Win in most of my guns. YMMV, of course.

As for the cost differences, remember that in some cases (the WSMs) there are additional royalties to pay. We then have to pay not only for the royalties but also for the cost to maintain compliance and process that information to send off the checks.

Back