Bullet overall length - measurement off lands

Browning

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
Hi All,

As a fairly novice reloader I have always set my bullet lengths to a recommended length.

I've been advised that .005" to .010" off the lands would help with accuracy.

How do you guys know when you're actually touching the lands so you can back off .005" or .010" ?

I know there are some tools you can use.

Another way is to vertically cut the neck of an empty case, so that the bullet will be held "softly". Then you chamber this dummy round and close the bolt.
This way the bullet will be pushed against the lands.
Open then the bolt and measure it. You should have Head space=0 for that particular bullet.
Then you work your way back as much as you like.

I personally do it by working on the top screw of the die (bullet seater).
I loose the screw and slowly work my way down (1/4 to 1/2 turn each time) until i can just close the bolt.

Hope it helps.

:wink:

Stoney Point tool with modified case. Blue Jay's method will work fine but you should color the bullet with a magic marker so you can tell if the bullet was pulled part the way out the case on extraction. Then seat a bullet in a dummy case and try it in your rifle. I use 4/0 steel wool to mark the bullet, easier to see land marks.Rick.

Like the others have said, fast and easy way is with a fireformed case. Deform the mouth slightly and insert your perfered bullet. CArefully chamber the "dummy" roound and carefully remove from the chamber.
Take the overall measurement. You might want to do this a few time to ensure you have the correct measurement.
Adjust your seating die to desired length and you are good to go.

JD338

I have tried it several ways and prefer to use the Stoney Point. But with my Sako's and the Browning Stainless Stalker (that I just traded off for another Sako) I tried just loading to the Nosler recommended OAL and all my rifles shoot 3/4" or less. I think it may not be uncommon for short action rifles to be able to shoot a longer OAL in the chamber than the magazine will allow. At least it was that way in my Sako 308 and the Browning in 7m-08. The Browning consistently shot 1/2 or less groups. I won't mess around with adjusting OAL unless the recommended length does not cut it.

Long

browning you can also seat your bullet 50 thousants to 60 thousants long and color your bullet with a felt tip marker the lands or rifleing will imprint on your bluuet if you can reach them , keep seating same bullets deeper till you get where you want to be ,you can color same bullet many times, this process is explained in some loading manuals, always DOUBLE CHECK your work!!!!! , NEVER reload when your tired,....jjmp

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I'll start with jjmp method today and take it from there.

p.s. What a great forum !!!

I've done it a number of ways. too. They are all slow and have to be done countless times to make sure you have it right. Then you still have to depend on an OAL measurement to set up your seating die. The Stoney Point (or similar) comparator is the only way to go. With this tool you are always measuring to the bullet ogive (the point on the curve of the bullet that first contacts the lands) and that is the measurement you want to use to figure your DFL (distance from lands) and set your seating die to. The tool is reasonably priced and it will last forever. The first thing I do when I buy a new brand/style of bullet in a given caliber, is take the measurement to the ogive and record it. Then, whenever I get around to loading it, I just subtract the amount I want for the DFL, and set up my die. Once you have a SP comparator (and head space bushings if desired) you will never look back.

Blaine

OCK,

The max OAL is based on SAAMI standards that give the maximum length that will fit in the magazine of every rifle out there (or at least 99% of them). You can measure your own magazine and determine what the OAL is for YOUR gun. If you are single feeding, then the OAL is limited only by your chamber size.

Blaine

I think it is also handy to know that 1/4 turn on RCBS seating dies changes seating depth by .009". 1/2 turn would be .018", and one full turn would be .036". Don't know about other brand seating dies, but I suspect they use the same thread pitch, therefore the same change in a turn of the seating screw.

If you think about it a bit you'll discover you're only measuring to the lands anyway. That's the widest part of the bullet and you're not going any further unless you really force it. Length beyong the lands maximum doesn't matter since it's open space beyond that so you're not touching anything anyway. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

cal sibley":1ddnwrjp said:
If you think about it a bit you'll discover you're only measuring to the lands anyway. That's the widest part of the bullet and you're not going any further unless you really force it. Length beyond the lands maximum doesn't matter since it's open space beyond that so you're not touching anything anyway. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal, it only matters as it pertains to max OAL that the magazine will allow. Even though the part of the bullet beyond the ogive just sticks into the barrel without affecting anything in the chamber, it might push the OAL past what the rifles magazine will allow.

Blaine

Browning":1gp0knd2 said:
Hi All,

I've been advised that .005" to .010" off the lands would help with accuracy.

Not always so. You're gonna have to experiment.

Ditto last reply. Expect to experiment. I like to start with the longest round that will smoothly feed through the gun's action (assuming that its not much over SAAMI max OAL). Then I work back in increments of .005" until I find the right spot. Generally I have to adjust back some, but usually no more than .050" or so.

Back