Bullet preference for 45 ACP

rquack

Beginner
Nov 9, 2005
I've been considering the purchase of a .45 ACP 1911 and an XDs recently. Although the acquisition hasn't yet occurred, I've been starting to accumulate the necessary tooling and supplies to build ammo for this cartridge. But never having shot a larger caliber handgun, I have no idea of what bullet weights these guns might like best: 185 gr, 200 gr or 230 grain.

As availability is a bit of a problem in the current marketplace, and as a standard practice [even before our current marketplace situation], I like to buy in bulk when I find a source of available satisfactory product. So... If you were to buy a couple thousand bullets for your .45, what bullet weight do you find to work most reliably and accurately in your pistol? And what powder have you found that works best? Also, as I'm a bit recoil shy, is there a substantial difference in recoil between the 185, 200 and 235 grain loads?

I've shot a .45 only about 3-4 rounds, unknown bullet weight, during an informal "show and tell" gun trade at a local club a few years ago. The recoil was modest and easily controlled in the 4" barreled 1911. But the experience created a desire that has been smoldering for a time now and will likely soon result in the purchase of a couple of new pistols.

Gee, how I long for the good old days when you could go into your local gun shop and buy a hundred of each bullet weight, a couple recommended powders and then assemble some test loads. I haven't seen single boxes of pistol bullets on the shelf in many months..... Obviously this is good for business, for the manufacturers and the retailers, ... but it makes our retail purchasing a bit more difficult than before. As when you see it, you need to get it, lest it be gone and next availability is a large question mark.

As always, thanks for your generous assistance.

rquack

I am shooting the traditional 230 gr RN, in front of a mild load of Win 231. I have been using Laser Cast bullets. I also have several hundred 185 gr Noslers. I have shot the 44 mag ,and find the 45 auto much more manageable. There are numerous excellent 45's out there to be had.

I love Missouri Bullet Co 200swc in brinnell 18. I have shot a coupl thousand through the Kimber with no issue. I load Bullseye for mine.

I've been loading 185s over W231 for my weekly practice sessions. I can tell you there is a definite difference between those and full-tilt 230s. Which makes me wonder if I should in fact be practicing with 230s, even if they're lighter powder charges...

I use Precision Delta 230g FMJ and Accurate #5. I have had outstanding accuracy results with a USP 45 and a Colt 1911.

I think you'll find the .45 ACP in a 1911 is going to be accurate with all the common bullet weights. I cast a 200 grain RNFP that delivers sub 1" groups at 25 yards with 5.2 grains of W231.

I do recommend the faster range of powders for top accuracy; Bullseye, W231/HP38, Titegroup, Red Dot, Clays, WST, 700x, and the like.

I shoot several .45 caliber handguns based on the 1911 system from an almost strictly stock Colt Combat Commander (My CCW piece most of the time) to a full blown accuracy gun based on a Caspian frame with Colt Golt cup slide. Better shots that I have shot that one and 2 to 2.5" at 50 yards is normal depending on the bullet. For 99 perceent of the time, I shoot a cast bullet. The only thing done to any of my guns has been a polishing out of the feed ramp and throat. All but the Commander have had trigger jobs and other than the throating, I did change out the grip safety for one with a beavertail type. I have the scars from where the hammer ate up the web of my hand. I also have a SIG P220 and it's a very accurate gun, sometimes even outshootig my target gun.
For a commercial cast bullet,when I don't have time to do a run of my own, I go to Slash K here in Tucson. I can phone in an order and pick it up when it's ready. Sometimes it's same day and sometimes not. My preference is for the Hensley & Gibbs #68 which is the 200 gr. SWC. The one that Slash K sells is, if not from an H&G mold a very good clone. http://slashk.org/ If you go to the site, click on the picture of the cast bullets, then on .45 caliber. The bullets I bought from them have been very accurate in all my .45's.
I do have the mold for that bullet and the metal to cast up a lot of bullets. Lately, I just have not had the time. :( I have been using the 200 gr. SWC because lead is getting hard to get around here, almost like impossible. My stepson works for a car dealership and was selling me used wheelweights from their tire shop until the boss found out Seems like they'e supposed to sell only to licensed recylers and the recylcers say that the EPA rules forbid selling lead to us peons. :x We have a few wildcat tire shops here in town and even they won't sell used weights because they reuse them.
IIRC, the original load for the 1911 was 5.0 gr. of Bullseye and a 230 gr. FMJ bullet. Bullseye back then was made by Hercules and a 5.0 gr. load with 230 gr. cast bulet very closely duplicated that original load. Today, Bullseye is made by Alliant and I believe the burning rate is different, even if Alliant says it's not. I haven't used Bullseye in the .45 in years since my supply of it made by Hercules ran out. Gads, but that's been a while. I was given a can of Bullseye and a can of W231 as well from a guy in my Hunter Ed class. They've been sitting on the shelf as I use W321 only in my target loads for the .38 Spl. My load with the 200 gr. SWC is 5.0 gr. of Unique and it functions in all my guns just fine.
One thing is very inportant, more so in my opinion than how hard a bullet is and that is the bullet size. In fact, a too hard bullet of the wrong size will lead like hell. A friend of mine wanted me to load up some ammo for his .357 mag. Revolvers are a bit more complex in reloading because you not only need the groove diameter but the bore size of each cylinder throat. Once I determined that I made up his loads which had bullets only 8 on the BHN scale. He thought they would lead his bore badly and I told him if they do, bring it back and I'll do the job of getting the lead out. :lol: :lol: He did not brin it back. FWIW, a diameter of .453" seems to work just fine in my guns. I pefer my bullets sized .002" larger than groove diameter but some guns will shoot better at .001" over. As long as the sizing keeps the bullet from leading the barrel or only minimally at best you shouldn't have any problems.
If I can be of any more help, just holler.
Paul B.

Wow! Thanks for all of the help and experience.

Sounds like all bullets weights function fine; I'll probably go with the 200 gr in an effort to provide a bit more contact with the bullet to the lands of the barrel.

It also sounds like many people are shooting cast lead bullets.

Is there any advantage to shooting a jacketed bullet?? Aside from the obvious leading issue [which doesn't sound to be too big a deal] does the jacketed bullet provide any advantage?? As I'm looking forward to the day when my young grandson will be loading and unloading these bullets with me, does a jacketed bullet provide any safety benefit from minimized lead exposure?? Or am I REALLY over-thinking all of this stuff?

rquack

With the .45 ACP handloads, I've found NO advantage to using jacketed bullets instead of quality cast bullets.

Be sure you and your grandson wash your hands thoroughly after handloading or shooting. Even with FMJ bullets, lead and other chemicals get on the shooters hands.

Guy

Back