Bullet recommendations for Antelope

exitwound.jpg

...while your 150gr. .30-06 load is probably marginally adequate, you're going "Antelope Hunting", & everyone knows that antelope are shot w/ ".25 calibers"...

...if you'll step right over here to the "Rifles Forum", I'm certain you'll get all the information, suggestions, & opinions you'll ever need to find "Your Perfect QuarterBore"... :mrgreen: :lol: :p

...while your 150gr. .30-06 load is probably marginally adequate, you're going "Antelope Hunting", & everyone knows that antelope are shot w/ ".25 calibers"...

Touché! Well done, Gene. Well done.

Dang - the photos are GREAT - and I'm REALLY looking forward to hunting pronghorn this year.

First time, and I'm 55 doggone years old! I remember wanting to hunt them when I was only 15 - and here I am, finally about to do it. Maybe I should take that old .30-06 I had when I was 15... That might be kind of cool. If I do, I'll just use the good old 165's that have worked so well for me over the years.

Pronghorn - a uniquely American game species. Thanks for posting all the info & photos guys.

Guy Miner":25uyy4yl said:
Dang - the photos are GREAT - and I'm REALLY looking forward to hunting pronghorn this year.

First time, and I'm 55 doggone years old! I remember wanting to hunt them when I was only 15 - and here I am, finally about to do it. Maybe I should take that old .30-06 I had when I was 15... That might be kind of cool. If I do, I'll just use the good old 165's that have worked so well for me over the years.

Pronghorn - a uniquely American game species. Thanks for posting all the info & photos guys.

You're a lot luckier than I was. I didn't get a chance to hunt antelope until I was 71. My bitrthday is in August and the New Mexico hunt was also in August, just a few days after my birthday. I got a very nice head on the wall and some good eating steaks, roasts and burgers. 8) I think you'll enjoy the hunt.
Paul B.

P1380361.jpg

The one my (then) 8 yo and I shot in '10 was with a 100 gr Interlock from my .257 AI doing about 3250 fps. As Gene suggested, quarterbores RULE!!!!!!!!

There is absolutely no reason that 150 NAB load won't work as well as anything else. If you're concerned about range I would suggest that you multiply the fun and get into a serious shooting regimen wherein you "reach out and touch someone," challenging yourself (make sure to miss a few times every trip!) each time you're out. That is what my son and I did all summer... he manned the LRF & binoculars, and we role played the hunt so we knew exactly what we'd do when the opportunity came. I was proficient and confident out to 350 with a good seated rest, and I knew I could stretch that another 100 if I could go prone. That was fantastic for the confidence level, and like I said it increased the fun/anticipation of the experience working together like that.

Good luck!

Those are some great photos fellas!

Guy,

I shot my antelope way back in '82 with a 30-06 and 150 gr PT's.
That combo worked very well for me.

JD338

trsmith18":2w44fdco said:
NR,

I am planning my first MT hunt for antelope this fall and I am looking for recommendations on an ideal bullet. I will be using my .30-06 so there seems to be a large range of bullets avaible to choose from...the reason I love this caliber.

I have been using handloaded 150gr Accubonds the past three years on deer, with devastating results. My main concern is that the potential distances of the targets (antelope) could be much farther (200+ yards) as opposed the deer I have shot have all been under 100 yards.

So taking into account bullet construction (AB, BT, PT, ET), weight and BC which bullet have you had great success with on antelope?

Any back up recommendations in case we encounter an unfriendly bear?

Thanks as always

2010, 262 yards, .30-06, 150g AccuBond. Dead before it hit the ground. I’d have taken the shot at 500 yards.

IMG_11412.JPG

Any questions?

Coyote Hunter":2fpuq79t said:
trsmith18":2fpuq79t said:
NR,

I am planning my first MT hunt for antelope this fall and I am looking for recommendations on an ideal bullet. I will be using my .30-06 so there seems to be a large range of bullets avaible to choose from...the reason I love this caliber.

I have been using handloaded 150gr Accubonds the past three years on deer, with devastating results. My main concern is that the potential distances of the targets (antelope) could be much farther (200+ yards) as opposed the deer I have shot have all been under 100 yards.

So taking into account bullet construction (AB, BT, PT, ET), weight and BC which bullet have you had great success with on antelope?

Any back up recommendations in case we encounter an unfriendly bear?

Thanks as always

2010, 262 yards, .30-06, 150g AccuBond. Dead before it hit the ground. I’d have taken the shot at 500 yards.

IMG_11412.JPG

Any questions?

Thats a great elk buddy! Love to see pics of dead elk!

150's or 165's in your 30-06 would be terrific. Partitions, Accubonds, or E-tips!! You don't need no stinking quarter bore! :p :mrgreen: Now if you happen to have a 6mm Remington laying around, you have a true antelope getting superstar! :grin:

It is so hard to beat the 30-06. I wish you the best luck on your hunt. Take good care of the meat and cool it quickly. Antelope are fantastic eating!!
David

6mm Remington at over 400 yards!
011-2.jpg

25-06 Remington at 30 yards. Now how the heck did this get in here! I suppose a 25-06 would work also. :p
002-9.jpg

6mm Remington - my son Jeff's first antelope & big-game animal period!
IMG_1405.jpg

Must eat, always eating!
IMG_1412.jpg

Antelope sunrise! Hopefully you will see a morning or two as grand as this one! It is beautiful country out there!
IMG_1409.jpg

E-tip - AccuBond - Partition Pick your poison!
E-tipAccubondPartition.jpg

Old & slow does it also! 45-70
001-15.jpg

Proof in the pudding that the old 30-06 & 165 gr. Partition works. :shock:
IMG_1660.jpg

Well I am sure the AB would work for you if thats the way you want to do it? A bonded bullet probably isnt really in the formula; to kill an antelope?? As deep penatration isnt really a major concern to hunt them. I have shot two at the same time; one standing behind the other one, killed the first one instantly, and wounded the second one, with an 06 shooting 165gr solid base nosler, so they are not hard to shoot thru; even with bullets that normally open up on a 250lb animal. If you want to transfer alot of the energy from your 06 into the game; I would use a bullet with a very thin jacket or one that has a reputation for very fast expension and most certainly "Not one that is known for deep penatration". I would say in hunting them, they rated right with a Dall Sheep for easy to kill, and a .243 is about the perfect round for them, with 100gr bullets going 3000fps. Again it isnt the specie as much as just the body weight . It just doesnt require that much gun to knock them silly . Now with that said, if you dont hit them correctly then ANY animal is likely to limp off on three legs or hunch up and stumble away when gut shot. It's up to the hunter; to make sure that doesnt happen. If I had to shoot Antelope with an 06 I would drop all the way down to about 125gr and NOT worry about a premium bullet of any kind . I am sure you would see an instant kill if you hit them correctly .If Bears are going to become a consirn then you may want to have a few 200gr Partitions in your pocket to handle that situation? Good Luck on your hunt I hope it all works out for ya. :wink:

If I were to pick a bullet it would most likely be a light weight one in either the Ballistic tip or SST design and would expect an instant kill from either the .243 or the .270 with massive destruction inside the animal. I would NOT use a premium heavy jacketed bullet or Partition or bonded type at all . In a 30/06 one of the lightest projectiles your gun will stabilize would be the best overall choice I would imagine one of the finest choices for Antelope with a 30/06 could be the Nosler 125 grain Balistic Tip bullet for shots under 300 yards would be awesome for game that size. IMHO.

I know a guy who shot two young antelope with one 150 Gr corelokts out of a 30-30. AB's would work but not required IMHO. You've lots of good advice (and pics) here. Like I said load for the 30-06 and go hunting. CL

Thanks for everyone's advice. I doesn't seem like there's a bad choice with the 30-06, but some maybe overkill. I will see how my new rig like the 150gr AB over 57.5gr H4350 and adjust if needed from there!

Living in Wyoming we get to Antelope hunt every year. Been hunting them for 25 years.
Always get 1 or 2 a year. Shot them with about everything between a .243 Win to a .338 Win Mag. It really does not matter. I prefer Ballistic Tips on Antelope. Accuracy is all that matters. If you shoot the leg off one you can chase them into the next county. Accuracy is where its at!

I think this will be my antelope load this fall.
280 AI with a 140 gr BT
280AI140grBT210.jpg

JD338

trsmith18 I have just one more suggestion and it is what I have always done for antelope hunting. Make yourself a cheat-sheet to tape on your stock. Do actual shooting and not just calculations of distances maybe out as far as 500 yards (if you are trophy hunting) in 50 yard intervals past maybe the 250 or 300 yard mark. Then do wind calculation for 10 mph and 20 mph for the same distances. The winds can make you completely miss an antelope at 300 yards.

Be sure to use a good rangefinder and anemometer (I use a Leica rangefinder and a Caldwell anemometer).

You're going to have fun!

ridgewalker":3gmyu49d said:
trsmith18 I have just one more suggestion and it is what I have always done for antelope hunting. Make yourself a cheat-sheet to tape on your stock. Do actual shooting and not just calculations of distances maybe out as far as 500 yards (if you are trophy hunting) in 50 yard intervals past maybe the 250 or 300 yard mark. Then do wind calculation for 10 mph and 20 mph for the same distances. The winds can make you completely miss an antelope at 300 yards.

Be sure to use a good rangefinder and anemometer (I use a Leica rangefinder and a Caldwell anemometer).

Thanks for the advice, I have been loking into a couple rangefinders.

trsmith18":3errrn62 said:
ridgewalker":3errrn62 said:

Thanks for the advice, I have been loking into a couple rangefinders.

Look at the Swaro 8x30 Laser Guide. It will be tha last range finder you will ever buy.
I lasered a tree line at just under 1800 yds, 1760 yds is 1 mile.
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/prod ... nstruments

JD338

Attachments

• _thumb_500_500_Optronik_Laser_Guide_Laser_Guide_8x30[34].jpg
    _thumb_500_500_Optronik_Laser_Guide_Laser_Guide_8x30[34].jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 617
JD338":2afhk2i5 said:
Look at the Swaro 8x30 Laser Guide. It will be tha last range finder you will ever buy.

Yeah - especially once my lovely bride kills me after she finds out what it cost! I'd love to own one, though.

Back