Bullet recommendations for Antelope

trsmith18

Beginner
Jan 27, 2010
NR,

I am planning my first MT hunt for antelope this fall and I am looking for recommendations on an ideal bullet. I will be using my .30-06 so there seems to be a large range of bullets avaible to choose from...the reason I love this caliber.

I have been using handloaded 150gr Accubonds the past three years on deer, with devastating results. My main concern is that the potential distances of the targets (antelope) could be much farther (200+ yards) as opposed the deer I have shot have all been under 100 yards.

So taking into account bullet construction (AB, BT, PT, ET), weight and BC which bullet have you had great success with on antelope?

Any back up recommendations in case we encounter an unfriendly bear?

Thanks as always

The bears in Montana are all friendly, so no serious concern there. :mrgreen: Actually, you will be well equipped with the 150 AccuBond. If you are shooting it well and it has performed well for you heretofore, you will have no difficulty with antelope. If you wanted to use a Ballistic Tip, you would find that it performed just as well for you on antelope.

I have taking them with bullets ranging from 85 grain to 330 grain. They all work well. They are frail creatures and not all that robust.
In 30-06 we have used 125 150 165 and 180 gr.

Whatever works well in your rifle.

I would think a 168 BT would be pretty good in the 30-06. Fairly high BC'ed bullet and it seems most 30-06's can push them close to 2900. That would be a pretty nice shooting combo. Heck, I would think just about anything you load in a 30-06 would do em in quick like.

If the 150 gr AB shoots well, I would just stay with that load. If you want to play, look at the 168 gr BT. The higher BC will give you less wind drift at long range.

JD338

Yes I agree with the others. Just stay with the 150 AccuBond if it shoots well in your rifle.

I have seen quite a few bears in Montana, but can't say I have seen any when actually out hunting speed goats there. I don't think they are too common out in the wide open sage country. Down in the brushy coulees and the forested ridges yes. :)

I can't speak to the 150gr AB, but I can tell you that my 30-06 loves the 168gr BT and H4350. I'm getting right at 2900fps (Scotty is so smart...) and here's what three shots looked like during load workup:

d13a33c9.jpg

I did nothing more than 8 clicks to the left and recheck them another day, and got the same group, just centered above the bullseye. At just over 180yds, I dropped a small white-tail doe in December of last year. I cannot complain at all. Either the 150 or the 168 will work just fine, I suspect.

dubyam":25je31av said:
I can't speak to the 150gr AB, but I can tell you that my 30-06 loves the 168gr BT and H4350. I'm getting right at 2900fps (Scotty is so smart...) and here's what three shots looked like during load workup:

d13a33c9.jpg

I did nothing more than 8 clicks to the left and recheck them another day, and got the same group, just centered above the bullseye. At just over 180yds, I dropped a small white-tail doe in December of last year. I cannot complain at all. Either the 150 or the 168 will work just fine, I suspect.

That is the kind of group that should bring a smile to anyones face.

thanks for the recommendations...i will see how accuracy is as I extend my range with the 150 AB...i fI dont like ill work up some 165/168gr. Thanks

Antelope are very easy to kill, so terminal performance is not an issue. You could kill them with a .223 and a 50gr bullet. The real issue(s) are accuracy and wind. It is often quite windy where antelope roam. Assuming you can find an accurate load, I'd opt for a 178gr A-Max bullet. High BC and generally very accurate. They also expand at extreme ranges on thin skin animals if that became necessary.

My experience with shooting antelope and watching friends shoot antelope says that the 150 or 165 gr .30-06 bullet AB, PT or BT will work fine. Our group normally has used rifles from .257 Roberts, 100 gr to .270 Win, 130 grain bullets with good success in Wyoming on antelope.

"antelope are not hard to kill" true enough. "Very easy to kill" maybe dosent give them enough credit. (I Know what you meant, no offense please) They can put on some distace with lead in there guts or with three legs make no mistake. Shoot the one thats the most accurate for you. A 22-250 has killed many a goat with a bullet in the right place. IMHO Have fun on your hunt. CL

I have to rework my loads anyway, as I should be receiving my new rifle back from the smith anyday now so switching bullets at this stage isnt an issue cause i'd have to do it anyway.

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far...any pics? They are always inspiring!

Ok, you asked for some pics.....

My cousins son and her last buck- Wyoming 2009
Brianwkarlasbuck209.jpg

A "wronghorn" buck that he shot that same hunt. Note that he curls forward rather than back or to the center.
Brianswronghornbuck109.jpg

An old pic of Dad and I with my first goat (yes I know he was just a baby). The Fox inbetween us was almost bigger :oops: :) Butte Co SD Mnay many good times chasing goats in SD.
MeandDadpronghornbw.jpg

And Dad and I many years later with my big one taken around Douglas WYO.
PRONGHORN063b.jpg

Mountclose.jpg

Find a good BT and load up the 30-06. Jack O'connor wrote some good stuff on antelope hunting and judging horn size. Worth a read IMHO. Oh, the bullet on both of mine was a .25 cal. 100 Gr BT at about 2800 MV. CL (again)_

brian2011buck.jpg

annabrian2010.jpg

2011-10-01075319.jpg

2011-10-01102004.jpg

2011-09-26154143.jpg

2011-09-26124925.jpg

IMAG0047-1.jpg

SV102089.jpg

SV102095.jpg

These are from me my kids and the people I took out on my honey hole.

Got tons more but you get the idea. :mrgreen:

I haven't played with the 30-06 in years but when I did, most of the California Blacktail and Mule Deer I shot were taken with a 30-06 and the 150 gr. Sierra. They didn't call the, Pro-hunters back then. I also used that bullet in a .308 Win. and one deer was taken at 426 paces although most shots were nowhere near that far out.
I only mention the deer as I've only taken one antelope and on that hunt I used a .270 with the 150 gr. Sierra Game King.
I can say though tht the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter worked quite well on some very heavy Mule deer and was more than adequate on what was the second longest shot I ever had to take on a game animal, and using the .308 to boot.
I se no reason why your current load shouldn't work just fine.
Paul B.

I've taken around 30 in my hunting using everything from 85 gr .243 (450 yards) up to and including 180 NP from .300 Win Mag (15 yards).
As someone said already where ever antelope are the wind blows. If you can hit them in the boiler room, you have your antelope.
A 30-06 is great. Use the most accurate load you can come up with that shoots the flattest. Usually a 165-180 grain. These also have a much better shape (ballistic coefficient) for wind than anything smaller. You have about an 8" diameter quick kill zone. Outside of that they will eventually die, but not as humanely which is what you want. If you can hit that in a 20+ mph wind at 500 yards, they are yours. If at only 150 yards just do your part and hunt don't just shoot.
It's a great time because you get to see lots of antelope. I always take new big game hunters on an antelope hunt so they get to at least see a lot of game. This is very unlike elk where you may see 1 in a week of hunting hard and you have to constantly be ready to judge and take the game or pass.
Enjoy your hunt! :)

Back