Rifle Twist Rate ?

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
I keep seeing people saying they need faster twist rate on standard rifle calibers. My question is what is wrong with the old standard twist rates. I’m 61 and my average shot on a deer with a High Powered Rifle has been a little over 200 yards and Antelope just over 300 yards. The longest shot an Antelope at just over 500 yards. Longest shot on a Coyote just over 400 yards running and he was unlucky.
Praire Dogs all under 400 yards why not shoot farther I like to have a higher Hit rate, if I miss a couple I just get closer.
So what I am saying is how many are really shooting beyond what the standard twist rate can do. Are you really shooting Big Game consistently beyond 500 yards ? I find my self using the lower end of magnification way more often than the top magnification. Also a lot of time hunting the wind is so strong it just not worth it to stretch the range and wound a Big Game Animal. States I have hunted Big Game AK, MT,ID,WY,CO,SD,IA

The faster twist rate is need to shoot those long sexy bullets being offered today. Second the new monos are long for their weight needing a faster twist to stabilize. Example 250gr A-tips in my 30-378 would keyhole , so I’m running a 8 twist to keep the stable.

The faster twist rate is need to shoot those long sexy bullets being offered today. Second the new monos are long for their weight needing a faster twist to stabilize. Example 250gr A-tips in my 30-378 would keyhole , so I’m running a 8 twist to keep the stable.
+1

JD338

+2

Can you imagine a 22 Creedmoor with a 14 twist? (a' la 220 swift)
Here is mine with 95 grain Sierras and a 1:7 twist.

1zjX9zX.jpg

Huge long range ballistic advantage vs say a 50 grain at 3950 or so.

Lazer range finders have lead to changing needs of shooters. We no longer rely on speed to extend ranges of our rifles. New bullets take advantage of better performance properties. You’re in luck, a faster twist will still shoot your old standby bullets out of your favorite cartridges, It’s just more versatile all around.

Lazer range finders have lead to changing needs of shooters. We no longer rely on speed to extend ranges of our rifles. New bullets take advantage of better performance properties. You’re in luck, a faster twist will still shoot your old standby bullets out of your favorite cartridges, It’s just more versatile all around.
Well spoken!

I understand you can shoot the longer bullets thing but I just don’t see the average hunter capable of using all the range of rifles in standard twist rates Hunting and No FOTIS is not your average hunter or shooter ! :)
See what one of the Best Shooter‘s say’s his range for hunting is. Just FYI he Won in South Africa

Last edited:
I think most of the high-BC bullets fired from fast-twist barrels are sent downrange at steel or paper targets rather than at big game.

Long-range shooting has become quite popular, and guys want guns & ammo that can do that sort of thing.

In fact, a few years ago I found a great deal on a new "Ruger Precision Rifle" in 6mm Creedmoor and snapped it up. It has a 1:7 or 1:7.7 twist rate (not sure, the new ones are shown as 1:7, but I think my earlier version might be not quite that fast). So far I've only shot Hornady 108 grain ELD-Match bullets from it which require at least a 1:8 twist barrel, according to Hornady.

It is the biggest, heaviest, ugliest rifle I own... But it sure shoots good! :) I have no intention of ever hunting with it, unless maybe as a long-range varmint sniper.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
While I understand what most are saying, I am in the same camp as 1100...
In over 37 years of hunting, my average shot distance is just 137 yards and the old rate of twist used in most of the cartridges I own and hunt with is sufficient for normal bullets. And with that flat based bullets work just fine.
Yes, my favourite hunting bullet is a boat tail, and I do practice out to 500 yards, but it just ensures that I am able and confident on the majority of distances I do hunt game at, within my own self-imposed limits.
Other than that, as I own, shoot and hunt with a number of lever actions (12), faster twist rates are not a concern.
Yes, there advantages for shooting longer distances, and I agree hitting steel at longer distances is fun...but my range is still limited to 500 yards, so if I want practice out further, I have to find boulders in hillsides out in the mountains.
The only rifles I have or am working on that will have the faster rates of twist will be my 6.5 CM and PRC. I have not checked the twist rate on my 7MM STW, but I know that it works fine!

I guess one example that comes to mind would be the 264 win. With the argument why buy a 6.5PRC or 6.5RPM, the 264 has more velocity? the 6.5s are spec'd with a 1-8 twist, a 264 is 1-10 and maybe a 9, and is too slow to shoot a 143 eldx or similar. So if you want to build a 264 that will "out shoot" the newer 6.5s you get a faster twist, or it is better to compare apple's to apple's.

Another example would.be the newer 257 bullets that have came out that need a much faster twist then the 25-06, 257wby or roberts ever had

I have 2 22-250, both with 14 twist. One is M70 CRF, (part of a collection) one is Ruger M77 Hawkeye bought for fun. I just wish back when I bought them I knew about twist rate. I would ahve looked for faster twist, so I could extend the range of bullets I can shoot. Now I am limited to 55 grains, not that I ever need more, just love to have the choice.

One of my most frustrating specialty pistol is a used H-S Precision HSP, I bought used in 22-250. it has a 12T.
It shoots awesome, but it is so limited in distance.
Take the measurement and subtract caliber = AWESOME!
Just a 3-shot group at 100, shooting off a Harris bi-pod and a small field bag.
50 grain V-Max is so limiting for shooting pd's in wind at distances I enjoy.
I0QyNcyl.jpg

Bang on.

I just dropped off a 1-7.5 Krieger .277, M70 action and a McM Compact EDGE. I can use the 100-170+ bullets that are out there.

faster twists on modern bullets are a no brainer for me. We used slower twist in the old days cause bullets didn’t balance as well. Rarely do we have those issues anymore.

RPMS definitely don’t hurt bullet performance either.

One of my most frustrating specialty pistol is a used H-S Precision HSP, I bought used in 22-250. it has a 12T.
It shoots awesome, but it is so limited in distance.
Take the measurement and subtract caliber = AWESOME!
Just a 3-shot group at 100, shooting off a Harris bi-pod and a small field bag.
50 grain V-Max is so limiting for shooting pd's in wind at distances I enjoy.
I0QyNcyl.jpg
Ya that looks real frustrating😂

I have 2 22-250, both with 14 twist. One is M70 CRF, (part of a collection) one is Ruger M77 Hawkeye bought for fun. I just wish back when I bought them I knew about twist rate. I would ahve looked for faster twist, so I could extend the range of bullets I can shoot. Now I am limited to 55 grains, not that I ever need more, just love to have the choice.
I have a Tikka 22-250 with an 8 twist. It shoots 77g TMK, 70g RDF and 63g Absolute Hammers all in bug hole groups. The Hammers are monos and need an 8.25 twist to stabilize, they great coyote medicine.

Back