Bullet seating?

Michael C. Smith

Beginner
May 24, 2016
What is the least amount of bullet I can have seated in the neck and still have enough neck tension and be safe?I can go out to 3.00 in this 6.5 creedmoor and still feed from the magizne. Not sure if it will touch the lands their or not. I am going to try to measure that tonight. These berger 135 classic hunter are giving me fits! Thought I would go as long as I could get them and then work back. So I was trying to get a idea from y'all on minimum amount of bullet in the neck of the case so if I could touch the lands I could work from there. I have tried two different powders 2 primers and there recommend coal of 2.800 and 2.825. Haven't shot but one group under a inch and can't duplicate that. It is shooting some very erratic groups 2 touching then one may be 3in out and anothe worse. I know the gun Will shoot and scope is good. Shot a group with the 130 gamekings today that was great. Shot a 1/2 3 Shot group Friday after sighting In the new scope that I can cover with a dime. So I need to try something different with the berger. So I thought I would go as long as possible them work back. . What are yall thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think there is a write up on the Berger website about some people getting better accuracy seating much deeper. Out to I believe .130" off the lands. I have not tried any of the bergers in my Creedmoor yet, but hopefully you will get it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked it up and said to try bullet jumps from .010, 0.50, 0.090, and 0.130". If feeding from the magazine on a hunting rifle. In case you extract a shell on a hunt and it sticks in the lands if you had it jammed. Hope that may help some. Plan to try them out myself one day.

Cleveland48":1nrentz4 said:
I just looked it up and said to try bullet jumps from .010, 0.50, 0.090, and 0.130". If feeding from the magazine on a hunting rifle. In case you extract a shell on a hunt and it sticks in the lands if you had it jammed. Hope that may help some. Plan to try them out myself one day.

I would start at the longest length you can safely seat a bullet about 1 caliber into the neck, feed from the magazine or .010 and follow the rest of the increments. I think you'll find something that wants to shoot working like that.

The old rule of thumb (maybe thumbs were bigger a few years ago) is that a bullet needed a seating depth equal to at least one caliber for reliable neck tension.

DrMike":2tpby6vt said:
The old rule of thumb (maybe thumbs were bigger a few years ago) is that a bullet needed a seating depth equal to at least one caliber for reliable neck tension.
So you're saying one caliber meaning .264?

Michael C. Smith":onz08z7n said:
DrMike":onz08z7n said:
So you're saying one caliber meaning .264?

Correct. This would be considered to be a minimum under normal circumstances. Perhaps in a competition where bullets might be chambered and then ejected before firing, less seating depth in the neck could be acceptable. For field work, one caliber is the minimum seating depth into the neck.

Back