can anyone help identify a mauser style rifle

craiger40

Beginner
Aug 19, 2006
Fellas,

I am researching a mauser style rifle for a friend and would appreciate some help. The rifle has no markings on the top of the reciever. It has a big R and a smaller p4 on the barrel at the chamber and nothing else on the barrel but the serial number. I just for abvious reason cannot divulge the serial number in its whole but if a portion was required it could be made available. I have used all my usual resources and keep coming up empty. I guess the original mauser was copied so closely that it is very hard without understanding the markings to identify each model. I would appreciate any help or direction with this rifle.

Craig

A picture would say 1000 words.
Is there any markings on the bolt, floor plate, stock, ect..?
Lots of older Mauser style rifles have been sporterized and have scopes on them. If that is the case take the scope and bases off to see if there is any additional markings.
Post some pics!

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57 ... CF4576.jpg
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57 ... CF4572.jpg
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57 ... CF4574.jpg
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57 ... CF4573.jpg
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57 ... CF4571.jpg

This rifle doesn't have any of the usual markings as war type Mausers. It does have the cut out on the receiver that looks like a military style. It doesn't have any other markings anywhere on this rifle. It seems to be missing both the sight fixtures and the magazine cutoff switch. The rifle also doesn't have any markings under the scope mounts. I wish my friend had taken better care of the rifle but he isn't much of a gun person and this rifle as others had just fallen to him. I was able to get some info that might help the receiver ring is 1.3" or small ring mauser type. The serial # is 8953 on both the receiver and stock?

I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pictures. If you copy and paste the links on a browser you can see the pictures. If someone can help me or do it for me and post them here it would be greatly appreciated

Looks to be a M94,95, or 96 Mauser. Is it 6.5 or 7mm? Have you had it out of the stock? I'm guessing there may be some markings on the side of the receiver that has the bolt release/ejector piece, that may be burried under the wood. It almost looks like a 94 carbine to me. Does it have a brass dial looking thing for range on the side of the butt stock?

Sorry but there are no markings anywhere else and no brass holdover button neither this thing is just impossible to put together. anything else that could help?

I'm probably wrong, but it looks like a Chilean or Brazilian mauser.

the saftey is missing, the bolt handle has been badly hacked to clear scope, the stock appears to be a k98 type but the pictures are poor. might be a swedish mauser a real bad one. i would not shoot it with the bolt in that condition. if the barrel is 18.5" 23.5" 29.5" with a thread protector on end it could give a hint. along with the bore size possible are 6.5mm 7mm 8mm

My dad's M95 Chilean Mauser says "Modelo Chileno Manufactoro Lowe Berlin" or something close to that on the left side of the receiver without opening the safe right now. It looks very similiar, however there are so many variations of Mausers, it's very hard to tell exactly since yours apparently has no markings of any kind. The lettering on mine is very deeply engraved so someone must have went to a lot of effort to polish it out I'm guessing.

In the 60's and 70's there were a couple of shops that would mill off all the writing on the recievers as part of the sporterization process. It kind of looks like someone had that done, and then decided to forge the bolt them selves, and never got around to putting a new stock/barrel on it. This kind of fits the pattern of the missing saftey as well....

The first step I would take is to slug the barrel to determine the caliber size. Maybe even simply checking the i.d. of the muzzle would be a good start. But it is still important to have it headspaced to determine what cartridge it takes and if the headspace is safely set. As another poster mentioned, you should take care of the safety and check the bolt out real good for function before firing also. You can easily aquire/install a beuhler or dayton traister aftermarket safety and set it up to flip down on the right side of the cocking piece rather than the left as the military design and is much easier to operate in a hunting situation.

Without any markings, I'm at a loss for advice on determining what model/manufacturer your Mauser rifle is.

Oh, another thing you can have modified is making the bolt cock on open rather than close as I'm pretty sure yours is now.

Kimber is one of those companies A_S mentioned that made some modern style mods to some mauser actions. There are a couple others, but the names aren't ringing a bell right now.

Well, there is a real good all book out there on Mausers, has virtually every one ever made in it...Can't remember the name at the moment, Only problem is the book probably cost more then your gun.

According to your picture and specs...it is a M95 Spanish action Mauser. This is per the book: "The Mauser Bolt Actions" Your picture is on page 11.

trays7940,

Well done, i do agree all the pictures and such seem to confirm it is a Spanish mauser. Now i believe i should let my friend know and talk him into a restoration. Since this rifle is hacked up pretty badly he may be better off just buying a new one, there are a few on the Guns America site.

usually there is a marking there where the front scope base is.

I agree it looks like a 93/95/96 serious of mauser

Back