Canadians, IMR Enduron powders?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
After trying several of the IMR Enduron powders I was impressed by the line, particularly IMR 8133 for the 7mm Rem Mag. Great accuracy and velocity. Then poof! They were discontinued. I was told that it was because Hodgdon could't get a steady supply of them.

I believe that they were made in Canada...

Are the IMR Enduron powders still available in Canada, perhaps under a different name?

Thanks!

After trying several of the IMR Enduron powders I was impressed by the line, particularly IMR 8133 for the 7mm Rem Mag. Great accuracy and velocity. Then poof! They were discontinued. I was told that it was because Hodgdon could't get a steady supply of them.

I believe that they were made in Canada...

Are the IMR Enduron powders still available in Canada, perhaps under a different name?

Thanks!
That's kind of like the Norma powders, looks like they won't be coming over anymore.

I can’t remember where I saw this but Enduron was discontinued because it was showing corrosion in its own containers. Maybe more on line about this if a fellow wanted to spend the time-

Quick search I found threads about Enduron powder problems on this very website and on “the firing line” without much effort

When I rebarreled my 338 RUM, I tried IMR 8133. It shot awesome. I would have gone with it but I was sitting on 10+ lbs of Retumbo. So glad I stayed with Retumbo, even picked up another 8 pounder so I'm good for a while.
Too bad about the IMR Enduron powders.

JD338

I honestly thought I'd found THE magnum powder for me with IMR 8133... Ah well...

Guy

I honestly thought I'd found THE magnum powder for me with IMR 8133... Ah well...

Guy
I have heard it was really darned good in the 7 Rem! Never had a chance to grab any. Used a bit of the 7977 which seemed about like H1000.

Ya - this was the load I worked up for my sons Bergara 7mm Rem Mag: Stout dose of IMR 8133, 150's at just shy of 3200 fps, and pretty sweet accuracy:
PUcI3uQh.jpg

Ya - this was the load I worked up for my sons Bergara 7mm Rem Mag: Stout dose of IMR 8133, 150's at just shy of 3200 fps, and pretty sweet accuracy:
PUcI3uQh.jpg
That's impressive performance Guy. It's nipping at the heels of Scotty's 7mm MSM.

JD338

Jim - the first time I worked up a 7mm Rem Mag load with IMR 8133, I was using my Ruger No 1 with the 26" barrel. It's always produced good velocity for me and handles max loads easily.

I had several charge weights to test and my eyebrows kept going up at the chronograph numbers. Even checked with another chronograph... Ya, give that 8133 room to accelerate the bullet and wow! The Bergara wasn't as fast, but still impressive.

So - now I seek yet another favorite powder for the 7mm Rem Mag since IMR 8133 isn't available anymore. My favorite powders for the 7mm RM started with H870 a long time ago, then the supply of that old sooty powder ran out. Turned to RL-22 for a long time, great results. But... I haven't seen any RL-22 in a long doggone time. I thought this IMR 8133 was the new powder for my 7mm RM's... Nope, need something else. Retumbo shows good promise so far.

Guy

H870 was a favourite propellant for 175 grain pills in my 7RM. Then, like Guy, I switched to RL22. I suppose I could turn to H1000 or something else to keep the old war horse happy.:(

H870 was a favourite propellant for 175 grain pills in my 7RM. Then, like Guy, I switched to RL22. I suppose I could turn to H1000 or something else to keep the old war horse happy.:(
If I recall correctly, I thought you had previously stated that MagPro was the powder for the 7mm Rem Mag?
Perhaps Guy can find some to try?

Jim - the first time I worked up a 7mm Rem Mag load with IMR 8133, I was using my Ruger No 1 with the 26" barrel. It's always produced good velocity for me and handles max loads easily.

I had several charge weights to test and my eyebrows kept going up at the chronograph numbers. Even checked with another chronograph... Ya, give that 8133 room to accelerate the bullet and wow! The Bergara wasn't as fast, but still impressive.

So - now I seek yet another favorite powder for the 7mm Rem Mag since IMR 8133 isn't available anymore. My favorite powders for the 7mm RM started with H870 a long time ago, then the supply of that old sooty powder ran out. Turned to RL-22 for a long time, great results. But... I haven't seen any RL-22 in a long doggone time. I thought this IMR 8133 was the new powder for my 7mm RM's... Nope, need something else. Retumbo shows good promise so far.

Guy
I bet Retumbo would be a good one, especially with heavier bullets. The 168 ABLR would be a good one. Let me know if you need some bullets to try.

JD338

Guy
Might want to try Stabal HD or Magpro and see how those 7mm RM rifles like them.

IMR 7977 was a standout for me in the 270 Win, IMR 4451 was OK in the 260 Rem and IMR 4955 was very good in the 260 and 6.5x55. Looks like the remaining 4451 and 7977 will be burned up in the 260 and 6.8 Western. It's too bad they are gone since they worked well and were easier to get here in Canada than other powders.

Back