Cannelure Waffling

muskegman

Beginner
Mar 30, 2005
My first post here. I'm a regular at several other shooting/reloading/hunting forums.

First of all, I am a Partition kinda guy and use the B-Tip also.

So here's my question to the guys at Nosler:

How do you guys decide when and when not to put a cannelure on a bullet?

Here's my frustration - The older .338 250 partitions I had came with cannelures. Then the newer production ones came w/o them. I actually called Nosler on the phone and they said a cannelure was not needed. Now I usually don't crimp, but I have on some field loads in the past.

Now I have older .338 200 gr B-tips. They DON"T have a cannelure. Bought some new ones from Midway and now all of sudden they have cannelures?

What gives? Some bullets you drop it because you say it's not needed, then on others you add it? What's the rationale here?

MM

I have noted that several Nosler bullets come both ways. It's all about choices. If you want the groove, buy them, if not, buy the ones without. Most People load without. The 338 can be a hard kicking caliber, some believe crimping ensures the OAL stays the same in the magazine.

This is America, you can load whatever you wish. The real question is, what shoots best in your gun.......

The cann. is required for us to ship to Federal Ammunition. They are found usually on products that are rather large, 375+. The 338-200gr BT was put on in the last year to help with the push force of 340 and 338 Ultra Mag, also the 338 Lapua Mag.

There are very limited times where you might have a cann. on lighter bullets. We basically were back-ordered on products and weren't going to get back to them for awhile and had some storage for the ammo guys in stock, boxed them up and out the door they go. This rarely happens, unfortunatly you got some of them.

They are not needed in most cases, I apologize for your frustration. I don't have any 338-200 non cann in stock or I would trade ya for em. I can tell you that you shouldn't find any cann product from us unless it is needed in the larger cal. 375+. If you have any questions on what is cann. we can send you a catalog that will show what is cann.

Back