Can't Win This Year

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
The last day of WV rifle season was Saturday. I was determined to redeem myself after missing and easy shot on a buck earlier. I went with a buddy to a farm we have permission to hunt. It was pouring rain, so I decided to sit in an elevated box blind that overlooks a field. I watched several does come and go all day. We had to leave at 1:00 , so I decided to that if it was close to time to go, and hadn't seen a buck, I would use up a doe tag. about 12:50 4 does came in and I chose the biggest/fattest one out of the group, and decided when she cleared some bramble, I would take a shot. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement off to my right, a buck had been bedded down in this bramble and stood up when the does passed by. He had to have been there the entire time, there's no way he could have snuck across the pasture and get into that stuff without me seeing him. I repositioned myself for a shot and then the whole group busted out of there, my buddy had emerged from the woods on his way back to the truck, right on schedule, and one of them spotted him and they all took off. Nobody's fault, I guess maybe I should maybe I should have sent him a text to hang tight letting him know my plan. Oh well, there's still late muzzleloader and doe season.

Sometimes that's the way things work. Had that happen on a bear I stalked on day. After a loooooong stalk, he busted when he saw some friends coming down the cut line.

I feel your pain. Have both buck tags and 1 doe tags left. Maybe use the doe tag this week or late season after Christmas. Still had fun hunting with family and friends. Dan.
Yeah, it’s not so much of a disappointment as it is an aggravation . Just being out there and at camp is what I like most…Man, I do like the late season, especially when there’s snow on the ground. 😀

My body gets quite confused because we deer hunt in November in WV and freeze in temps anywhere from 15* and up, then go hog hunting in Alabama in T-shirts a few weeks later.

I believe the coldest temps in which I hunted would have been around -40C (-40F). The warmest I've hunted would be around +15C (~60F). The average temps are around 0C to -10C (32F to 14F). I don't enjoy hunting when the temps get higher. Fortunately, that window is rather brief here in the north. Can't say that I'm ecstatic about hunting when it is frigid, either. However, there were times that I just had to get out. Can't say that my body get confused; it just gets rebellious--and more so the older I get!

The last day of WV rifle season was Saturday. I was determined to redeem myself after missing and easy shot on a buck earlier. I went with a buddy to a farm we have permission to hunt. It was pouring rain, so I decided to sit in an elevated box blind that overlooks a field. I watched several does come and go all day. We had to leave at 1:00 , so I decided to that if it was close to time to go, and hadn't seen a buck, I would use up a doe tag. about 12:50 4 does came in and I chose the biggest/fattest one out of the group, and decided when she cleared some bramble, I would take a shot. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement off to my right, a buck had been bedded down in this bramble and stood up when the does passed by. He had to have been there the entire time, there's no way he could have snuck across the pasture and get into that stuff without me seeing him. I repositioned myself for a shot and then the whole group busted out of there, my buddy had emerged from the woods on his way back to the truck, right on schedule, and one of them spotted him and they all took off. Nobody's fault, I guess maybe I should maybe I should have sent him a text to hang tight letting him know my plan. Oh well, there's still late muzzleloader and doe season.
I feel this. Had a number of dry seasons myself, so all I can say is to keep at it and keep your head up.

Goes like that sometimes. I've had more just abouts and almosts than I care to think about over the years. When it happens it works out like it was planned.

But you get those other moments mixed in. Rarely archery hunt anymore, went the last evening this yr and sat through a short but heavy unexpected snow storm that came up turning a late fall archery woods instantly white. When it was over everything on the ground and limbs was covered and the woods couldn't of been more still and quiet. Within minutes I got to watch a buck slowly work his way out the flat below me. You couldn't of painted a prettier scene. Also seen a red fox come out through after that same snow storm. Didn't kill a thing but one of those hunts I will remember.

Goes like that sometimes. I've had more just abouts and almosts than I care to think about over the years. When it happens it works out like it was planned.

But you get those other moments mixed in. Rarely archery hunt anymore, went the last evening this yr and sat through a short but heavy unexpected snow storm that came up turning a late fall archery woods instantly white. When it was over everything on the ground and limbs was covered and the woods couldn't of been more still and quiet. Within minutes I got to watch a buck slowly work his way out the flat below me. You couldn't of painted a prettier scene. Also seen a red fox come out through after that same snow storm. Didn't kill a thing but one of those hunts I will remember.
Ah, the beauty of simply being there to see the world undisturbed by people. This is a treasure that cannot be purchased.

Back