Cartridges That Didn't Take

No mention of the sweetheart Swede or the Metric 06? I got a few of those oddballs.

6.5X55
7X57
.257 Bob
6-284
338-06AI

When loaded in modern actions to same pressures these all just stand out. I will eventually add a 8X57 and a 9.3X62. To show proof someone could post a QL of a 9.3 and 8 Mauser and compare them to an 325 WSM and a 35 Newton I think a guy might be surprised at the results. Same with the old Swede and a 260 Rem. It's hard for me to compare an apple and an orange.

nvbroncrider":32lm2yhn said:
No mention of the sweetheart Swede or the Metric 06? I got a few of those oddballs.

6.5X55
7X57
.257 Bob
6-284
338-06AI

When loaded in modern actions to same pressures these all just stand out. I will eventually add a 8X57 and a 9.3X62. To show proof someone could post a QL of a 9.3 and 8 Mauser and compare them to an 325 WSM and a 35 Newton I think a guy might be surprised at the results. Same with the old Swede and a 260 Rem. It's hard for me to compare an apple and an orange.

Easy on the Newton! It stands all by itself Jake!

I will run the numbers tomorrow Jake. But everything you mentioned are awesome in my eyes when ran in modern spec actions. The 7x57 is a complete sleeper if you ask me. Just a sweet heart and excellent performer. I know I'd love my own someday.

I think that you are right Scotty. The 7mm Mauser was first issued in 1896 along with some earlier Mauser and Mannlicher cartridges which have disappeared off the face of the earth many years ago. I suspect that the reason the 7mm Mauser almost died was the fact that is was chambered in soft steel older Mauser actions with pedestrian ballistics.

I think the success of the 7mm Mauser is in great part due to the .257 Roberts (Ned Roberts) and the 6mm Remington which were very popular wildcats way before they were commercialized. The wildcatter's had to get cases somewhere and probably did not want old balloon head Spanish, Berdan primed military stuff. Plus the 7mm Mauser was popular in Europe but so was the 8x68JS? Some famous American writers used the 7x57MM Mauser (Roberts, O'Conner and a few others) with great success and the .257 Roberts was very popular back before WWII, so the case design grabbed a solid foot hold in North America and bolstered success of the original cartridge, keeping it in the market.

Back