Cartridges That Didn't Take

It makes sense that many of these cartridges are appreciated on the Nosler forum. If you have many of these rifles in your safe, you need to be a hand loader to use them. "Obsolete" doesn't phase me in the least if I can figure out how to acquire brass.

With some of the new powders available (Superformance , Leverevolution and CFE 223) some of those obsolete and unpopular cartriges aren't so bad. I'm getting incredible velocities and accuracy out of the 30-06 and 308 based calibers not to mention the WSMs. I still think my 375 Ultramag is popular, just not among the elk.

Greg Nolan":280niah0 said:
With some of the new powders available (Superformance , Leverevolution and CFE 223) some of those obsolete and unpopular cartriges aren't so bad.

+1 MV of a 100 GR BT out of my obsolete 250-3000 is 3000 FPS. That makes it the equal of a 243 inside 300 yards IMHO. CL

I certainly do not worry about the ability of my .257 Roberts to take a deer as far away as I would care to shoot one. Getting 3140 fps out of the 110 AccuBond.

SJB358":1sa63adv said:
I'm more fascinated with the older cartridges these days than the newer. Some of those old German rounds are pretty interesting.

6.5mm x 68mm Schuler!

Greg Nolan":29cnzaj8 said:
With some of the new powders available (Superformance , Leverevolution and CFE 223) some of those obsolete and unpopular cartridges aren't so bad.

That is true! But the new ones also get much better.

Look at the 257 weatherby or the 270 WBY or the 7mm wby......

Super fast cartridges anyway you look at them. For the 257 bee 100 gr bullet at 3500 fps. This was designed back in the 40's. Why? because there were no slower powders. If Roy had modern powders like RL22..... 25.....33 Retumbo etc we would have the 25-300 WBY.

100 grain bullet at 4K and 110 AB at 3800-3900 fps.

See with progress everything gets better so yes the slower/older ones stay that way.

FOTIS":206i6rbh said:
SJB358":206i6rbh said:
I'm more fascinated with the older cartridges these days than the newer. Some of those old German rounds are pretty interesting.

6.5mm x 68mm Schuler!

Yep, that and the 8x68S.. Both of those are pretty interesting to me.. I have been looking at an 8mm in the future and think that would be a fun one to have.

I'm scratching that itch, Scotty. Won't gain a thing over my 325 WSM. Then, the 325 didn't provide any advantage over the much older 8X68S. :grin:

DrMike":15z6z2b1 said:
I'm scratching that itch, Scotty. Won't gain a thing over my 325 WSM. Then, the 325 didn't provide any advantage over the much older 8X68S. :grin:

I know your going to beat me to it, but it is more of a long range plan anyhow. It'll be nice to see how yours turns out.. Might save me a buck or two following your load work too! :lol:

DrMike":eeeui6k8 said:

The BEST way to improve a 325 WSM is to neck it up to .338 cal ! Now that would improve that metric 8mm ? thing greatly ! :grin: JMO LOL

Cheers :) RJ

What about the 400 H&H and the 505 Gibbs?
They might be popular in Africa but not state side.

JD338

I was thinking that maybe we could start a post titled "How come the 270 is so popular?" I am sure that topic would generate some discussion. Also might get me banned from the forum.?

Hmmmm. What is the oldest still commercially loaded caliber that is still chambered in a rifle today? Maybe the 45-70?

Elkman":oj1qg61d said:
I was thinking that maybe we could start a post titled "How come the 270 is so popular?" I am sure that topic would generate some discussion. Also might get me banned from the forum.?

Go for it Bill!
That would make for some good dialog. :mrgreen:

JD338

truck driver":3umq6adl said:
Hmmmm. What is the oldest still commercially loaded caliber that is still chambered in a rifle today? Maybe the 45-70?

TD,

I would agree.
The 30-30 might be in second place.

JD338

JD338":1e7ttb1o said:
truck driver":1e7ttb1o said:

TD,

I would agree.

JD338

44-40?

The oldest commercial cartridge being loaded today is likely a .22 Short made in the U.S. in 1857.

JD338":2xg12aat said:
truck driver":2xg12aat said:

TD,

I would agree.

JD338

The 8x57 and 7x57 might be sharing the same Second-place-stand as the .30WCF. :grin:

Back