Case cleaning...new stuff

A

Anonymous

I'm in the market for a new case cleaning method...

I'm familiar with the vibratory tumblers that have been around forever but there's a couple of new wrinkles for case cleaning- ultrasonic cleaners and wet tumblers with steel pin media.

Any pros/cons to consider?

I have two vibratory tumblers that hardly ever are used any more. I use the Thumler Tumbler almost exclusively.

Pros:
--the cases come out exceptionally clean and shiny
--cleaning can be accomplished with Dawn dishwashing liquid and Lemi Shine; hence, solutions are relatively inexpensive

Cons:
--it does take time to dry the cases. I purchased a Salton dehydrator at WalMart to dry my cases. It was inexpensive and works like a charm. If you want a case dryer (the same thing) expect to pay two or three times what the dehydrator costs.
--my wife is a bit perturbed at times as I place the tumbler in the bathtub. If I'm not careful, it will chip the enamel in the tub. :oops: (Don't ask how I know.)

I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner and disposed of it after about six months.

Pros:
--it does tackle heavily corroded cases

Cons:
--the process required up to four cycles before the cases were clean
--the cases were not at all shiny, but were rather quite dull
--the cleaning solutions were expensive unless you were willing to craft your own

Same comments and process as dr Mike. I went through the same curve.

Ultrasonic, small batches, corrosion.

I’m using the Lyman wet tumbler.

Used Cabelas points to pick it up for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knocking on wood here------ I have been using a Dillion 1000 vibrator cleaner with crushed walnut shell for ever and it does what I want. Should I need bright mirror shine I add a little polish to the shell and they come out bright. I get my crushed walnut shell from the pet shop. They sell it as lizard litter and is cheap. No water steel pins or anything else to worry with and every now and then I throw a used dryer sheet in to take care of any dust.
This worked for me when I was mass loading handgun ammo and now that I'm just a casual shooter I find it still works with no fuss or muss and it's paid for. :)o)

Hi Roger, that’s what I used to do. The dryer sheet really helps with the dust. I never figured out a cheap walnut shell source. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how are you guys using the dryer sheet ? are you putting it in with the walnut and letting it in there while it's in use ? I've never heard of this . I do have a dust problem .

jimbires":9jgj1a57 said:
how are you guys using the dryer sheet ? are you putting it in with the walnut and letting it in there while it's in use ? I've never heard of this . I do have a dust problem .

I save USED dryer sheets, the used ones seem to do better collecting the dust..Then I rip it into 4 pieces and just drop them in when I run a batch a brass, and dispose of them when I take the cases out. But lately I found that picking up a $2.00 foam AC filter from lowes and cutting it a little bigger than the cleaner and placing it on top then secure the lid down to hold it in place..This is the best dust control method I've found

hunter24605":1febnvvm said:
jimbires":1febnvvm said:

I save USED dryer sheets, the used ones seem to do better collecting the dust..Then I rip it into 4 pieces and just drop them in when I run a batch a brass, and dispose of them when I take the cases out. But lately I found that picking up a $2.00 foam AC filter from lowes and cutting it a little bigger than the cleaner and placing it on top then secure the lid down to hold it in place..This is the best dust control method I've found

sounds easy enough , thanks .

I have a Franklin Arsenal wet tumbler with the stainless steel pins. It is amazing how the brass comes out! It is spottless, shinny and bright inside and out, including primer pockets and flash holes.
IMHO, it's the only way to go if you want clean brass.

JD338

DrMike":1d7lisii said:
I have two vibratory tumblers that hardly ever are used any more. I use the Thumler Tumbler almost exclusively.

Pros:
--the cases come out exceptionally clean and shiny
--cleaning can be accomplished with Dawn dishwashing liquid and Lemi Shine; hence, solutions are relatively inexpensive

Cons:
--it does take time to dry the cases. I purchased a Salton dehydrator at WalMart to dry my cases. It was inexpensive and works like a charm. If you want a case dryer (the same thing) expect to pay two or three times what the dehydrator costs.
--my wife is a bit perturbed at times as I place the tumbler in the bathtub. If I'm not careful, it will chip the enamel in the tub. :oops: (Don't ask how I know.)

I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner and disposed of it after about six months.

Pros:
--it does tackle heavily corroded cases

Cons:
--the process required up to four cycles before the cases were clean
--the cases were not at all shiny, but were rather quite dull
--the cleaning solutions were expensive unless you were willing to craft your own

I use the Frankfort Arsenal SS wet media tumbler. All the good Mike mentioned. I will dry cases in the sun in the summer time or over a heater vent with a fan blowing in them in the winter. Perfect,y clean cases and more important, clean primer pockets.

how often do you guys use the SS pins for cleaning ?

when I find range brass , or I check case water capacity , I let the brass lay out in the sun , in the summer time . I have a box that's like a pizza box that I spread the brass out on then I just roll them around a few times . a nice sunny day dries brass fairly fast . during the winter I set my brass inside the cabinet of my outside wood stove . the stove temp is 160* - 180* . it doesn't take long in there to dry .

jimbires":om0s0vp1 said:
how often do you guys use the SS pins for cleaning ?

when I find range brass , or I check case water capacity , I let the brass lay out in the sun , in the summer time . I have a box that's like a pizza box that I spread the brass out on then I just roll them around a few times . a nice sunny day dries brass fairly fast . during the winter I set my brass inside the cabinet of my outside wood stove . the stove temp is 160* - 180* . it doesn't take long in there to dry .

Jim, I tumble with it fairly often, I’d say every other or maybe every 3rd firing.

I sometimes use a baking sheet and chuck them in the oven with the door open on 150.

are you guys using the special cleaner with your steel pins , are you using the home brew dawn , lemi shine mix ?

Same as DrMike ... went back to my Thumler Tumbler a few years back when my Dillon vibrating tumbler's motor died & Dillon would not warranty it ... I'm glad that the Dillon broke because I when I went back I tried the stainless steel media with Lemi Shine & never looked back.

It does everything DrMike said & more ... no complaints.

To dry the brass I dump them into a towel & place it in front of the pellet stove to dry; give it a shake once in a while.

mjcmichigan":22vagvyg said:
Lemishine and a little dawn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here. Just a tiny squirt and a shake of Lemi Shine.

After using vibratory polishers I opted for the Frankford Arsenal wet media tumbler and Frankford rotary media separator to remove the SS pins. This tumbler will polish more 9mm cases at one time than I care to reload at one setting at the progressive press. I have a stackable food dehydrator that will dry all of the brass in about the time it takes to tumble them. Dawn and Lemishine are cheap and efficient cleaners. Lots of shiny clean brass easily cleaned is win win any way you look at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

truck driver":1802rttq said:
Knocking on wood here------ I have been using a Dillion 1000 vibrator cleaner with crushed walnut shell for ever and it does what I want. Should I need bright mirror shine I add a little polish to the shell and they come out bright. I get my crushed walnut shell from the pet shop. They sell it as lizard litter and is cheap. No water steel pins or anything else to worry with and every now and then I throw a used dryer sheet in to take care of any dust.
This worked for me when I was mass loading handgun ammo and now that I'm just a casual shooter I find it still works with no fuss or muss and it's paid for. :)o)
lol... I've had my lyman since 1981. corn cob media and add a little polish. works great!

I've always wanted to change from dry media to the tumbler process but the capacity of the drums far exceeded my requirements. Nonetheless, I was prompted by this post to explore the issue on wet tumbling once again. To my surprise I noticed that Frankford Arsenal is soon offering a Tumbler Lite with a 3.3 liter capacity rather than their standard 7 liter. I found the unit on the Midway USA site and although the 3.3 liter unit is not yet available for sale, Midway says it's coming soon.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23885 ... mbler-lite.
I just might have to pick one up!

Back