case trimmers

reloader7mm

Beginner
Feb 17, 2009
What does everyone use for a case trimmer? I am torn between the 2400 Redding and the Hornady. I really like the mic adjustment of the Redding, but being 20 miles from Hornady and the price make it nice also. I don't need a powered one since I don't have alot of trimming to do at this point in time. Thanks

I have RCBS.
If I ever need extream high volumn, I am sending my brass to Joel. :mrgreen:

JD338

I use the RCBS, it's the older collet style but still works good. It's the one I use the most.
I also have a Lyman power case trimmer that works pretty good.
I had a Giraud case trimmer for my high volume 223 cases but sold it.....big mistake on my part

Wilson makes a terrific case trimmer. That's what I use.

trimmer.jpg

Regards, Guy

Are you guys using the RCBS tri pro? I have seen some videos on it and it does seem faster than most.

I use the Lee trimmers that you chuck in a cordless drill. It works really well and fast, but I think I am going to upgrade to the forster classic trimmer in the near future.

I have the Redding 2400 and the RCBS Case Trimer. Each has strengths. I do like the precision of the 2400 and the fact that I can note the setting for future trimming. However, it only takes a moment to set up the RCBS trimmer. The Wilson is a first rate set up. I have been favourably impressed with Sinclair's Case Trimmer, but as is true with most things Sinclair, it is a bit spendy.

The Lee trimmers have been getting me by till now but my fingers are not happy. The RCBS is looking good but i would get greedy and have to have the 3way cutter for it. And yes all things Sinclair are Spendy!!

I just finished trimming 400 .204 cases and 1500 22-250 cases over the last 2 weeks with the Hornady Lock-N-Load system. What a joy compared to what I used to have to do to prep brass for the varmint rifles :grin:

Jim - drive over and trim away :p After doing as much brass as I have over the last month, I don't want to see it for awhile.

How long did it take you to chuck up each piece of brass? That is one of my biggest concerns with the hornady.

Alot less time than it takes for each case in my old RCBS collet trimmer. Place the case in the shell holder, twist the lever, lower the case on the turning cutter, twist lever, remove case and repeat. I my situation it was many, many times. I had alot of 22-250 cases to do. I just did all the 204 brass to make sure it was uniform.

I use a Wilson case trimmer and love it. Very accurate, easy and fast. Not to mention I smile at the quality every time I use it. Additionally I had to "special order" a case holder for my 338 RUM, it was seven days from when the check was in the mail to when my new case holder was delivered!
I bought the package from Sinclair International.... great set up.

I use Lee trimmers and done by hand and/or drill when doing some volume. I'm not tech savvy and don't know much about the trimmers that require micro adjustment.

I am still using the RCBS Case Trimmer with the collet style lockdown. It works decent. Might not be super fast, but I don't really trim more than 40-50 at a spell. I know when I upgrade, I am going to look pretty seriously at the Hornady like 257 Ackley has. Scotty

I use hornady. once you set it up and lock it all case will be trimmed exactly the same. Quick to use too. can really fly thru this mondane process

Back