CCI magnum primers

Aug 2, 2005
OK Reloading gurus...

I ran out of CC lg rifle primers in the middle of reloading some .308 and 7mm08 ammo...

Can I use the CCI mag primers? I am using RE 15

Brisance is different. You will want to work up a load from a safe minimum. Changing from large rifle primers to large rifle magnum primers can increase pressure significantly, and assuredly will alter velocities.

Tom,

No, not with out working up a new load.
You might want to give Long a call. :wink:

JD338

I think that's a good call Tom. Better to be safe...

BTW - brought to mind a lesson I learned long ago, which is to buy large quantities of components I like. I usually get 1,000 - 5,000 primers at a time, 8 lbs of powder if it's something I'm going to use a lot (Varget, H4350 and Unique). And usually at least 250 bullets of any given kind if I like them, sometimes as many as a few thousand. Then I monitor those supplies and buy again before running low.

Not only does it keep me from getting caught short, but I keep the same lot number of powder, primers and bullets - all of which helps consistency.

Regards, Guy

Good idea Guy!
Lar came to the rescue tonight and put me on to a shop on the way to my Gunsmith that has a few bricks of primers... :)

CCI told me that they burn hotter than regular primers.

Like Dr.Mike said work up from start carefully.... and watch for pressure signs.

Back