Cloverleaf, .250-3000 article

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
CL, have been reading a pretty good article in the Aug-Sept issue of Handloader magazine, by Terry Wieland, on your wonderful .250-3000 cartridge. The article is really built around that cartridge in the Savage 99, but thought it might be of some interest to you.

Good discussion on bullet weights, rate of twist, velocities from different barrel lengths, etc.

Guy

I read that one too Guy. Very insightful especially about the twist rates and barrel lengths where those wonderful Savage 99 rifles are concerned. Basically, this is the best lever-gun/cartridge combo that Savage ever came up with in my opinion.

My father still carries an old 99-R to the hills for deer each fall loaded with the 87 grain Sierra at 3k muzzle velocity from the 24" barrel. I think there is nothing he would be afraid to shoot with that combo on this side of the pond anyways.

Dale

I've got an old Savage 99 in .22 High Power, with the tang sight. Pretty cool old rifle. I need to start handloading for it. Factory ammo is scarce.

Also mine has a spare barrel, in .... .410 shotgun!

It's a single shot with the shotgun barrel of course. I'd like a 99 in .300 Savage, or even .308 Win.

Guy

Suddenly my interest in Savage 99s is at an all time high. I think I'm gonna have to investigate.

Yeah, and I gotta get my mind off of it pretty pronto because I was immediately taken with the 99s in .358 Winchester and I didn't see any "inexpensive" ones. I'll just duck on outa here and leave this thread alone, for my sake and everyone else's!

:?

Carry on!

Yeah - the .358's command a premium price...

What a rifle...

Guy

Thanks Guy - laid up sick at the moment. On my tablet. Will check it out later. And add.... 22 HP would be way cool. CL

Dwh7271":2zyeo0zy said:
Well, you could find a shot out 308 99 and have it rebored. :)

I'd love a 250 Savage myself... Depending condition of the rifle and twist it might be fun to make an Ackley outta one as well.

cloverleaf":7pazkhfe said:
Thanks Guy - laid up sick at the moment. On my tablet. Will check it out later. And add.... 22 HP would be way cool. CL

Well heck, you get healthy doggone it. Hunting season approaches! (y)

I picked up a Savage 99 in 300 Savage last fall on my way to go black bear hunting. Some guy traded me his grandpa's deer gun from 1927 w/ 2 boxes of ammo and a scope mounted for a low end 1911 with nice grips. At camp my Uncle told me it was a takedown model which neither the previous owner or I knew. When i got home and finally got to shoot it the first test of handloads gave me 165 Partitions under an inch. So I stopped right there. Hopefully I'll get it pointed at some deer this year. I highly recommend trying one, it sure is easy to carry.

Harv6":2zeyvuyd said:
I picked up a Savage 99 in 300 Savage last fall on my way to go black bear hunting. Some guy traded me his grandpa's deer gun from 1927 w/ 2 boxes of ammo and a scope mounted for a low end 1911 with nice grips. At camp my Uncle told me it was a takedown model which neither the previous owner or I knew. When i got home and finally got to shoot it the first test of handloads gave me 165 Partitions under an inch. So I stopped right there. Hopefully I'll get it pointed at some deer this year. I highly recommend trying one, it sure is easy to carry.

Harv, if you get a chance please share that load. Wouldn't mind trying it in my M99 300 Savage.

Sure...

*165gr Partition
*Remington Brass (average 53.24 gr of water)
*Trimmed w/ Lee case length gauge
*CCI 200 (large rifle)
*42.5gr of Reloader 17 (What I used as a starting load)
*2.600" OAL

As mentioned... that was my starting load, and when I saw what it did I stopped because i didnt have but maybe 20-25 of those bullets left. My chronograph said it gave me 2315fps from the 24" barrel. I ran the numbers and its like a maxed out 30-30 but with a better b.c. than the Leverevolution stuff. At 200 yards its still got the minimum speed to open up a Partition. The way I hunt deer, I usually find them well inside that range.

Thank you Harv. Might have to give it a try. I like RL17. Been a great powder for me.

Back