COAL for 30-06 NAB bullet

ArmyCW

Beginner
Oct 29, 2008
I'm doing some loads for accuracy testing. Have a question about
the COAL for the NAB bullets what to set at?
I'm not changing anything but bullets in a load already tested to
1 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. tested load data is H4350 55 gr, WLR primer and
Hornady BTSP.... I've worked up in incremints of 1/2 grain to 57 for
next test at range, and wanted to try the NAB also. COAL for the Hornady 150 BTSP is 3.230
Any advice?

As long as the mag allows or 10 thou off the lands.

POP":2wa3jmq1 said:

Yes, I could do that but only ONE change at a time. So for the moment I'm only changing the bullet and keeping all other factors the same.
Thanks,
Kenny

Edit::: What I was wondering why the dies seat bullets differently with
manufacturer... Like the Hornady BTSP, or SST's and NAB all seat differently... I think cause the Ogive and shoulders are different..
So should all OAL be the same no matter what 150 grain bullet I use?

Edit:
So where do I find published data on Nolers 30 cal bullets for OAL?

ArmyCW":1e6xbid8 said:
POP":1e6xbid8 said:

Yes, I could do that but only ONE change at a time. So for the moment I'm only changing the bullet and keeping all other factors the same.
Thanks,
Kenny

Edit::: What I was wondering why the dies seat bullets differently with
manufacturer... Like the Hornady BTSP, or SST's and NAB all seat differently... I think cause the Ogive and shoulders are different..
So should all OAL be the same no matter what 150 grain bullet I use?

Edit:
So where do I find published data on Nolers 30 cal bullets for OAL?

Yes, every 150gn bullet will seat differently, you must adjust your seating to that particular bullet. As for load info, check out Nolser.com better yet here's the link. This isn't all of there info, you will need purchase a Nosler manual for that.
http://www.nosler.com/?p=15&b=30cal

You are correct. The seating die contacts the ogive of the bullet not the tip.
If you know how far of the lands your hornady bullets are seated you should be able to seat the AB the same using a comparator or the old fasioned way.

old #7":1lqvfk9v said:
If you know how far of the lands your hornady bullets are seated you should be able to seat the AB the same using a comparator or the old fasioned way.

Guess I'll have to buy a comparator. I did sent online email to Nosler via webmail to ask the question of OAL,
quoted from Nosler:
"We do not publish a specific length, on page 43 in Guide # 6 we tell how to determine the proper OAL for your rifle.
Also you may use other genaric OAL's for the same weigh bullet."

Sorry, I do find this reply a little disturbing. Best answer is use genaric OAL. Well, maximun genaric OAL for 30-06 cartridges is 84.84 mm or 3.340 inches....

ArmyCW":3xv8gie5 said:
old #7":3xv8gie5 said:

Guess I'll have to buy a comparator. I did sent online email to Nosler via webmail to ask the question of OAL,
quoted from Nosler:
"We do not publish a specific length, on page 43 in Guide # 6 we tell how to determine the proper OAL for your rifle.
Also you may use other genaric OAL's for the same weigh bullet."

Sorry, I do find this reply a little disturbing. Best answer is use genaric OAL. Well, maximun genaric OAL for 30-06 cartridges is 84.84 mm or 3.340 inches....

The reason why Nosler and all other publishers of reloading manuals give a "generic" COAL is because all rifles will have a different amount of freebore. Some rifles have none. The listed COAL is a SAMMI spec and will function in all modern fire arms.

Back