Crimp?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I roll-crimp my revolver rounds: 38, 357, 44 mag. I have also lightly roll-crimped cartridges for lever action rifles that have tubular magazines, the 30-30 and 45/70.

I use a taper crimp on the 45 ACP.

Don't recall ever crimping any of the cartridges for my various bolt action or single-shot rifles, not even the 375 H&H Model 70.

Do you crimp some or all of the cartridges you load? Which ones and why, or why not?

Thanks, Guy

Same as you I roll crimp the .38 taper the 9mm and 45 acp. Only rifle cartridge I crimp is the .35 rem shooting it in a Rem 760 pump. Haven't had any bullet setback issues just thought it would be better since carrying an extra loaded magazine while hunting with it. All bolt actions I don't crimp. Dan.

I don't crimp any rifle cartridges but use a taper crimp on all my hand gun cartridges.
The reasoning for taper crimping my pistol cartridges was to insure consistent bullet release when fired which made for better accuracy due to less deformation which was caused by the roll crimp.
Also when using lead bullets there would be less barrel leading caused by the roll crimp scraping lead from the bullet which was deposited in the barrel when fired.

Used to never even consider it except with cartridges typically used in rifles with tube magazines, but now I crimp normal rifle cartridges sometimes Guy. But you asked your questions of which ones, why, and why not, too early for me to give anymore than a non-proven opinion.

Discovered partially by accident a definitive difference in 1 particular gun, which gave me a goal of doing farther testing this summer of crimp vs non crimp with several different guns to try and answer the why and why not for myself. One of them I will be starting on next week.

I did on anything that was magazine fed and heavy recoiling Guy. Even my '06 when fed 220 FMJ so they didn't move in the magazine. That included a 375 H&H I use to have and the 458 LOTT, but in a single shot I suppose you wouldn't need to.

I've used the Lee Factory Crimp die for a variety of cartridges in bolt actions. I have little proof that the crimp contributed to greater consistency, but neither have I seen evidence that it doesn't so contribute. I've tried both ways for many years. I guess the jury is still out on a definitive answer for me.

I definitely crimp cartridges that will be fired in lever guns and/or in semi-auto rifles. Yes, I crimp for handguns.

DrMike":35ehgpab said:
I've used the Lee Factory Crimp die for a variety of cartridges in bolt actions. I have little proof that the crimp contributed to greater consistency, but neither have I seen evidence that it doesn't so contribute. I've tried both ways for many years. I guess the jury is still out on a definitive answer for me.

I definitely crimp cartridges that will be fired in lever guns and/or in semi-auto rifles. Yes, I crimp for handguns.

My experience with the LFCD as well..It certainly didn't degrade accuracy, that I could tell, at the ranges I normally shoot. (out to 300 yds) Can't say if it aids or hinders at the longer distances. I do like that it doesn't need a cannelure to crimp by.

I only crimp pistol , and tube feed magazines . here are Lymans thoughts on crimping . crimp.jpg

I use a roll crimp on revolver rounds, taper crimp on autos and LEE FCD on everything else! I crimp them enough to "see and feel" a crimp, ha. I personally feel it helps ignition via consistent "bullet pull". I can't prove it except by the chronograph and accuracy. Many of my rifles showed improvements, enough I like to use it. PLUS...it keeps those pesky "compressed loads" from pushing the bullet out during storage! :) More power!

I crimp all my rifle rounds, unless they are purely target rounds to be fed individually. I had a bear that I shot two years ago, shot him 2x with a 300WM, and evidently the crimp I applied was too light. Round #3 was short of spec and round #4 was even shorter (maybe 0.17”). So recoil can move bullets.

I do like the Lee Factory Crimp die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the carbide ring in the pistol caliber FCDs. One can knock the ring out, I understand, but I just reached for the Redding Roll Crimp die. The carbide ring "sized down" my intentionally oversized hard cast I was using in my 45 Colt and .38 Special. Of course, its fine on jacketed rounds.

Can be a controversial topic. I crimp all my reloads. I don't target shoot other than prep for hunting. Hunting ammo is subject to a lot more "abuse" than just loading it up, putting it a nice box and taking it to the range and shooting it. I don't worry too much about bullet pull or setback because it's all crimped. Just like everything else, consistency is key.

Back