Custom Builds, Rebarrels or other Kool Mods Planned?

nodak7mm

Handloader
Jan 19, 2008
Kinda stole this one from another board and thought it was a good one to post here to.

What ya got planned or in the works? I am coming outta turn 4 on my dream project, just shipped the barreled action to the stock guy for fitting. Here are the details:

BAT MB Action LPRB, 30" Kreiger Barrel, Nightforce NBR 12x42, Russo BR Stock in Blue/Black laminate, in 6.5/06 Imp. Built for 1KBR/F-Class..

Next project, rebarrel my 6mm Imp to 6mm BR (I think).

Lets hear em..

Rod

Rod

Sounds like a nice project for sure. Who did the barrel and action for you?

I have a couple projects on the list but won't start then until next year.

338 O'Brien (338-300RUM AI) on a M700 action with a 27" Hart barrel

22-250 Re barrel my M700 VLS with a 24" #5 Fluted Hart barrel.

JD338

Morning JD,

Proud to say I am doing the metal work. I have a cousin that is a master machinest & gun nut with a full blown shop holding my hand.. Just dialing em in on the lathe has been an eye opening experience this last year doing some barrel work, lets just say you get what you pay for.. Brand "A" takes an hour to indicate, brand "B" took 10 minutes to acheive what I couldnt with brand "A".. This is not to say anything is wrong with brand "A", ya just get what ya pay for...

I have been building rigs in my head for yrs, never quite know what I am gonna do from one day to the next. But this 6.5 rig has me peeing all over myself fer sure.

Next project is to fill a niche in my PD battery. I have a .204, 2-250 and my 6mm Imp.. Bout got the 6 barrel shot out and am really thinking about a 26-28" straight 1.25 tubed 6BR, or 6/47L, .243 Imp varient or I may stick with the 6mm Imp. Simplicity of brass work/dies & availability are a driver here. Get too wild and your talking custom dies and lots of brass forming etc..

Hey, we're below zero again over here, how bout you? My youngest is missing Cannonsburg alot this yr.. She sure liked that school pass and the ski hill 4 miles away..

Rod

Nothing planned, but I do have a few ideas bouncing around my dome.

.280 AI, Remington ADL action, 24" PacNor SS barrel, blueprinted action, Timney trigger, McMillan stock- probably Mountain Rifle style, shooting for a ready-to-go weight of 7 lbs even with a Leupy 2.5-8x.

Find a magnum bolt face Remington CDL, true the action, and rebarrel with a 26" PacNor ChroMo tube, matching factory contours, in .300 H&H.

.340 Weatherby on a NH M70 Classic action. Don't quite have the details worked out on this one, but I think I want an all-up weight of 9.5 lbs, with a VX-3 3.5-10x40. Probably a 25" PacNor.

6mm AI, trued Remington BDL action, , 26" PacNor SS, Manners MCS stock with digital camo, Timney trigger, looking for a weight of 9.5-10 lbs with a Leupy 4.5-14x50 LR scope. LR Coyote rifle.

I've still got to finish the one I've got shooting, but that was just a different barrel on a savage 111. I got a 31" med palma PacNor 1-8.5 Poly rifled, CM 264 Win Mag with tight neck and short throat.
I've got more barrels since, but the Action hasn't been trued up at all, the lugs can't be done on a savage with the floating bolt head, but the factory stock is nasty, the factory tirgger needs to be replaced with a riflebasix and it needs a tapered base 20 MOA base. Lastly, I'm still toying with rechambering it to 6.5 STW or 6.5 RUM. Corlanes of Dawson Creek, BC has the reamers for both and have a very good reputation for barrel work, so I'm seriously considering sending it to them. Oh yeah, and I still need to finish the barrel. Most likely will dura coat everything when I find a stock. I like the Bell and Carlson A5, but can't get that stock on this particular action. If I'd done it on a Custom action or a rem 700 I could. The only alternative is McMillan, which is a great tact stock, but the price reflects this. I think the B&C isn't far behind, but it's kind like green farm equipment. Nothing runs like a Deere, or costs as much buy......

JT.

Nothing planned, I have officially retired from any future builds, have had enough them, just going to hunt with what I have now. But it is good to see guys get excited about their projects and builds. I do wish you all the good fortune in the world and I know you will enjoy yourself.

jtoews80,

Like this laminate A5???

LaminateA-5300WSM.jpg

Joel Russo is the guy to contact if interested.... Google his name and gunstocks, you'll see a ton of links to view. Helluva nice guy too... I chose him for my BR stock and couldnt be happier..

Rod

Joel Russo makes one heck of a stock!

Hmmm... I don't have any big gunsmithing plans at the moment, maybe a few tweaks to the .308...

But mostly just shooting and hunting.

It's going to be a 330 Dakota, 338 O'Brien or a 338 Lapua Ai.
Either a Kreiger or a Pac-Nor barrel with a custom brake on a Rem action with a Timney trigger. I haven't mafe up my mind about the stock either.

I am drooling and some times foaming at the mouth when I think about breaking that glassy trigger and setting the 250gr bird loose at 3000fps. I just haven't figured out what cage to keep it in until I am ready to let it fly.

NIce NF scope!!, yeah that stock is exactly the design, but preferably in a composite so it'll be a bit lighter. I imagine that a laminate would pay divedends in stability due to the weight tho too, be a trade off. It's not as tho a 31" heavy barrel is really light either, might be the way to go.
I'll look these stocks.

At the moment my gun vault is going thro a facelift. I sold the 30-378 and bought a 300 RUM Sendero, traded the Pre64 M70 264 for a 375H&H AI built on a CZ 602 with a set trigger and a heavy barrel. Might have to flute it or turn it down to a #4 contour. And I sold the Benelli 12 Ga and bought a Win M70 XTR in 300 win mag. So, now it's I've got 224, 257, 264, 30, 375, 44. And I have my 308 CZ 550 for sale, don't feel the need for it if I have a Sendero in 300 RUM, those funsd will go toward a 7mm Rem.

JT.

Well a long time ago on here I started a thread about a light 270 WSM, that is still on the top of my list. 24" fluted stainless factory conture on a Win M70, looking at Kreiger or Pac Nor. McMilllian hunters edge stock, and a VXIII 3.5X10X40. Should be able to get it started this fall, but if I get my speed goat tag I might just have to try to start it early :lol:

Next in line is a 6mm inproved. 26" Pac nor heavy varmit on a Rem. 700, this gun I'm leaning towards a nice lam. stock. And for glass I have a VXIII 4.5x14x40 LR laying around that need a home.

After that I should be about due for a new Barrel on my 22-250. Will be replaced with a 22-250 improved. Havn't thought out the details on this one yet, but I'm guessing it will be close to the 6mm improved.

Somewere in there I'll be putting a 204 Ruger upper on my DPMS lower, but I don't know if that really counts as a build. Its more like a "put togeather".

I'v got a Rem sa M700 that might become a 358 win not sure what barrel but was thinking about going with #3 pac nor.

I have this youth model 7 .260 that I'm going to do something with. It's one of those issues right now of do not put too much into it and keep it for my wife......? OR>>> :grin: let her have the new .257 Bee and build the .260 for myself as a pack / mountain rifle...? hmmm .. hmmm

Nodak......... 6.5 X 47 ??

JD.... I'm assuming the 22-250 re-barrel will be with a little FASTER twist barrel ????

I have this blue printed Remington 700 Long Action that is waiting for a barrel to mate. I have several option. I have on hand a 7MM - 8 twist Broughton Barrel that I could chamber for 7WSM. An Obermeyer 308 - 11 twist that I'm contemplating for a 30-06 Ackley or better yet a Bartlien 6.5 - 8 twist for a 6.5/284 that I've always wanted. Hmm! decision, decision, decision.

Picture088-2.jpg

I was talking to the guys from the Custom die dept. @ hornady the other day. Some of those guys shoot in IIBC Matches, F class etc. One of them was telling me about a wildcat they are using for long range BR it's a 284-375ruger with I can't recall which shoulder angle. It's angled to spare the throat some and has a bit longer neck like a 6mm rem, but for the life of me I can't recall the name. Something like a 280 H&T, might have been his accent and been sheahayne too. That is a common name in BR, but I spelt it wrong for certain. Anyway, Check with them if you're looking for a hot 7mm accuracy round. Seems like a STW capacity equivalent, but in a standard length case. NOt sure if you're looking to wear out a barrel that fast or not. Just a thought.

JT.

I know I'd sure like to get something done by this firm...

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/

I think I would just give him some general direction, something like, "a sheep rifle in .280 AI with a 23" barrel weighing no more than 6.75 lbs." and see what he comes up with.

As I said earlier, idle speculation, as I do not have the funds right now.

BK,

Looks like he is doing some fine work. There are some attractive rifles some fine examples of his work pictured in his galleries. I can see why you would want to secure an example of his work. It is good to see some of the excellent smiths currently working, especially when we read of the classics from years past. It is obvious that the art of gunsmithing has faded into obscurity in recent decades.

well as many of you know I just got a 700 sps in 300 RUM plan is a new stock of which I cant decide, skeletonized bolt (because it looks really cool) fully teflon coated. and probably a muzzel break since that seems to be a must have for these cannons.

nitis":3ekpv0hc said:
well as many of you know I just got a 700 sps in 300 RUM plan is a new stock of which I cant decide, skeletonized bolt (because it looks really cool) fully teflon coated. and probably a muzzel break since that seems to be a must have for these cannons.

FWIW, a muzzle brake isn't a "must" for the ultra mags. I depends on you and how you handle recoil. I have all four RUMs and I will not put a brake on any of them. The increase in muzzle blast isn't worth the recoil reduction.

For sure, Richracer is correct. A muzzle brake is not necessary if one can handle the recoil, and the recoil on the RUMs is not excessive. One can "work up" to full power loads.

Back