custom competition bullets for hunting????

telkev

Beginner
Sep 11, 2007
Has anyone used the Nosler Custom Competition bullets, primarily the 30 cal. 155grain. I have tried virtually every combination with powder and bullets in my 300 wsm and I cannot get anything to shoot really good except the 155 custom competitions. Do they have a radical expansion or controlled expansion on game? Will they punch through whitetail sized game or stay in? Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

It is only an opinion, but I would highly recommend against the use of ANY match type bullet on game.

Sierra repeatedly repeats that their MatchKing bullet should not be used on game.

Match bullets are very accurate, that is what they are designed for. No particular attention is given to making them perform in tissue. They tend to be VERY erratic!

Even small match bullets like the Sierra 52 or 53 grain HP 22 caliber bullets are erratic as hell on small varmints. One may blow a prairie dog into a jillion pieces while the next one just penciles through like a spear. And this at very high velocity!

Do yourself and the game a favor and stick to hunting bullets for shooting animals.

In my own personal 300 WSM I have shot some really great groups using either 180 Nosler Partitions or 180 Sierra Pro Hunter bullets. Either IMR 4831 or H 4350 seems to be the powder of choice. (The Sierra Pro Hunter bullets routinely shoot half inch groups in my Remington 700 XCR.)

telkev

Welcome to the forum.

RFlowers has given some very good advise!
The J4 Competition bullets are target bullets, not designed got game.
Sierra MK's have been used on game but performance can be erratic.

What bullets and powders have you tried and what kind of accuracy are you getting?
Also, what rifle and scope are you using?

JD338

JD338":13r51f67 said:
telkev

Welcome to the forum.

RFlowers has given some very good advise!
The J4 Competition bullets are target bullets, not designed got game.
Sierra MK's have been used on game but performance can be erratic.

JD338

I agree with JD in every point except one.
Sierra MK's (and every kind of match bullet) have been used on game but performance can be (will be at some point or another) erratic.

If you want to hunt with match bullets hunt paper targets.

I hunt with Sierra 300 grain Matchkings and they do fine on game. But thats because the bullets are so long that the sectional density is so great that even if you lose half your bullet weight, they still are destructive. I would stay away from light match bullets on game for sure.

Thanks for the opinions, rest assured I do not want to us them on game, but I have not found another combination that seems to work. The bullets that I have tried so far are the 155 custom competitions, 150 ballistic tips, 150 CT's, 150 game kings, 165 ballistic tips, 165 hornady st's, 168 bergers, 180 ballistic tips, and a couple of different A max's. I've tried varget, vv n550, vv n560, imr 4350, h4350, reloader 15, 19, and 22, retumbo, and mabe some vv 160. I even tried buying some box ammo. Nothing seems to work better than 1.25" at 100 yds. However the 155 cc's and 60 grains of reloader 15 will consistant shoot less than 1/2 at 200 yds. This is a brand new remington 700 lss with a new burris black diamond scope. We have even tried 2 different scopes on it. Even took it to a very good gunsmith, no bedding problems, nicks, or anything else to cause problems. No copper problems either. I'm going to end up shooting the barrel out trying to find something that will please me. The way its going, it will be cheaper to rebarrel it. But I can't help the fact it loves the 155 cc's. Leave it to me to get a lemon.

I had a 300WSM built when Win first announced the rifle. Win action, High Tech Stock, etc. The one and only load it would shoot; 69.5grs IMR-4831, WLR primer(NOT MAG), Win brass, 165gr Sierra BTHP Gameking. Last time I shot that combo at 300yds, the group was less than 2". Gave that rifle to my new son-in-law for a wedding present.

But no other load came close to that combo. I have loaded several other 300WSMs since that time and it has worked equally well in all. The mag box determined seating depth in all the rifles.Rick.

You Berger VLD bullets, they say are good for hunting. I remeber reading an article about it. In the .308 168 grn VLD box it has a little note saying they can be used for hunting. Not to mention they shoot awsome in my rifle.

Corey

From another site:

The title of your thread compels me to respond. I of course can't help you with the SMK however our Berger Match VLD have been very successful on big game. I'll gladly send a free 30 minute DVD showing what our Match VLD does when used for hunting. Send an email listing your interest in the DVD and your shipping address to andrea.cobos@bergerbullets.com. For more on this we were recently written up in the August 2007 issue of Handloader.

We do not have a 270 cal bullet right now but will have three different weights made in the next few months.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
Berger Bullets

That article in Handloader Magazine makes a compelling argument. Enough so that is why I'm trying it, not to mention the very small groups I shoot with those Berger bullets.

By the way I have not given up on Nosler yet.

Corey

I shot several deer with a 30-06 and 168 SMK's. However, I had an accurate load that was a little under powered so the bullet would hold together quite well. I would think that any of the target ammo would do fine at lower velocities, but they would shred if you tag a thick bone at close range.

Back