Did I screw up

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
Well if I did it is only $15. 38/357 158gr SWC .358. So that's what the box said. Does .358 fit 357 mag brass or even the gun? If I had to guess I'd say no. But you all know I'm new so I'm aloud a couple of mistakes as long as I get everything fix to perfection before I pull the trigger on the gun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think I’ve notice lead rounds are slightly larger than jacketed.

I’d expect that 358 lead SWC with a gas check is fine.

One difference besides the name and length of the loaded rounds, the 38 special takes a 357 diameter bullet.
The 38 measurement was at the neck of a loaded bullet.
357 mag, they went with the bullet diameter.

Maybe someone who cast lead can comment.
On my 44, I see 430 diameter.. lead, and 429 diameter jacketed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You didn’t mention the quantity, but most boxes of cast bullets are 500, 550, or 1000.

$15 sounds like 60-70% off to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's for 100 rounds
e4e697621baeedc754bbffa45b3af25a.jpg

From Montana Bullet Works website "Sizing diameter is a critical element in the accurate cast bullet load formula. In rifles, I recommend a cast bullet that is .001 larger than the nominal groove diameter"

Internet ""It is recommended that the cast bullet be 0.001 to 0.002 larger than the bore."

Oh so I might be ago. Its a learning process

And $15 for 100, not bad. 15 cent each.
Plus 4-5 cents for a primer, probably 2-3 cents on powder.. you’re under 25 cents a round for sure.. I think your making money!

Elkman , thank you for confirming lead bullets run bigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, I stopped buying cast after a couple friends tested high for lead. Some of the smoke is vaporized lead burning. Ventilation is important. I started loading only jacketed. I still have probably 1000 loaded 44 specials and magnums. On the 38/357, I only loaded one box of 550 for my father in law.. I don’t load 38/357 for me. My 357 is a carry gun, so I shoot what I carry.

Dardas makes good rounds in cast. I want to say the 44’s were $50 for 500 a couple years ago..

ronc80":20assp6i said:
Oh so I might be ago. Its a learning process

You will be absolutely fine in 38 Sp. or 357. Undersized cast bullets dont seem to shoot very well from most firearms.

mjcmichigan":eri74bbl said:
FYI, I stopped buying cast after a couple friends tested high for lead. Some of the smoke is vaporized lead burning. Ventilation is important. I started loading only jacketed. I still have probably 1000 loaded 44 specials and magnums. On the 38/357, I only loaded one box of 550 for my father in law.. I don’t load 38/357 for me. My 357 is a carry gun, so I shoot what I carry.

Dardas makes good rounds in cast. I want to say the 44’s were $50 for 500 a couple years ago..

I think most if not all the vaporized lead is coming from the primers rather than the bullets. The primers use lead styphnate as part of the mix that is vaporized. Most people who have problems shoot at indoor ranges that had/have poor ventilation. Shooting them outdoors would note create a problem. Another source of lead is the good old vibrating tumbler. Lots of primer residue in the primer pockets and there is lead there as well.
I've an awful lot of lead bullets in handguns and rifle over a period of 67 years and my lead levels are in the normal range for a person born in 1938. I don't don't I run well over a ton of lead down the barrels of my rifles and handguns. Lead can be dangerous but with reasonable caution and handling there should be no problem shooting lead bullets. Do a good job of washing your hands after shooting them or after tumbling and you'll eliminate a good part of the problem of contamination. If you're casting them yourself, have good ventilation to remove the smoke and fumes. Just plain common sense. Drinking a lot of orange juice also helps the body chelate any lead from your system.

edited to add: cartridges marked NT for non-toxic are loaded with primers that do not use lead styphnate. AFAIK, you can't buy that type of primer, at least not yet.

Paul B.

real funny to see this. when i was a kid my dad used to get 1000 of these for $15! I put a crap ton through his Blackhawk an 586.

Paul, thanks for the clarifications and the comment on oranges.

I do use a soap for shooters after loading or shooting. D-Lead. Made in Wisconsin.

Our club has it available in the indoor range and we’ve got good ventilation.

e5155de5e3f334d0c46c7a8cf29ae4ac.jpg

mjcmichigan":vht5okgl said:
And $15 for 100, not bad. 15 cent each.
Plus 4-5 cents for a primer, probably 2-3 cents on powder.. you’re under 25 cents a round for sure.. I think your making money!

Elkman , thank you for confirming lead bullets run bigger!

Yea that sounds good but I can't find powder or primers. Well unless I want to spend 20 times that. $300 for 1000 small pistol primers. I just can't do it.

Thanks to all, you made my day. I was concerned.

Good price for the lead bullets. The .358" will work nicely in a .357" bore.

JD336

Back