Do I need a 243/6mm or 6.5mm?

What about the Norma 6XC? Seems like it was built for accuracy AND SPEED! Looks interesting.

I have owned 5-6 different 6mm rifles, all .243's except for one 6mm Rem, Ruger M77. The M77 when I finally got it settled down to shoot, would outshoot every other .243 Win which I have even owned.

Maybe it's just me but the "gap" I see is on the bigger end.
No .300, .338, 35 Whelen, or .375 caliber in your battery. I selected a three gun battery for myself that is made up of the .338 Win Mag, 6.5 x 284 Norma, and a yet to be purchased .204 Ruger. In the meantime I also added a 30-06. The three calibers above will do anything I desire to do in North America and probably 90% of the world. The 30-06, recent photo of how it shoots posted in the Reloading Forum, was an unplanned addition that shoots too good to get rid of.
I'm of the opinion that one can almost never have "too much gun" so long as they can shoot it accurately. Being that some big stuff, elk and moose, and asiatic water buffalo is on the tic list I figure the .338 fills a need. If I were going after elephant or Dugga Boy then I'd be looking at the .40 calibers for sure.

Vince

Vince - I spent some time yesterday talking to a fellow who has gone to hunting only with his .416, and yes, he's here in the Pacific Northwest. Apparently it makes quite the elk rifle... Bear, deer, coyote...

Screaming Eagle, with your .22-250 and a .257, I don't see a burning need for anything in 6mm or 6.5mm.

Something in the medium bores, like a .338, .358, 9.3. or .375 would beckon more strongly to me. You've got the "under .30" crowd pretty well represented.

Guy

What Guys saying is take that poor M700 Classic 35 Whelen home. It'll make great friends with your 280 and 257 Ackley! I bet they will become great friends! Ha

What Guy says. :grin:
After I get the 204 I'll have to look at a .416 or something.

I'd actually like to have a 222 Remington. It's always been one of the cool little centerfires. Easy to shoot, easy on powder too.

I have no need, but I would like a big bore someday. One of the 375/416/458 type Winchester Model 70 would be neat to own. Other than that, I am having a bunch of fun with what I have.

ScreaminEagle":2bm68099 said:
Ok, so I need something bigger than my '06. I've always wanted a 22 hornet though!

Well, a 35 Whelen will do pretty much every thing a 22 Hornet will do. :grin:

DrMike":3c67bogn said:
ScreaminEagle":3c67bogn said:
Ok, so I need something bigger than my '06. I've always wanted a 22 hornet though!

An odd way to look at it, but your right :roll:

ScreaminEagle":2f7xhpyx said:
DrMike":2f7xhpyx said:
ScreaminEagle":2f7xhpyx said:

An odd way to look at it, but your right :roll:

Well it will plus a lot more!! From mice to moose!!

I want another 22-.250! I had a nice one years ago that was a real sub 1/4" shooter. Real cheap and fun to shoot, and would flatten a crow in a peanut field at unbelievable distances.
I traded it for a .45 auto which I never did like very much.
Been thinking about building one with a "Remage" type barrel and using a Stiller action. But right now I thinking 6 and 6.5 MM after reading all these posts.

When I start making some money again, I think I want to put together a 6.5x47 Lapua. Remington or Defiance action; McMillan A-something stock (A3 or A5, probably); 24"ish kinda heavy barrel, close to, but lighter than, a Remington Varmint contour; Kepplinger or Jewell trigger, and some sort of DBM. Might not ever happen, but it would be fun as heck if I could swing it.

I think I played with that very gun last time I was in Springfield.

If you prefer the Remingtons in a CDL or Classic and you are wanting a 6 or a 6.5, then you'll have to find a Classic 6.5 x 55 or CDL SF Limited in 6mm Rem.
I've owned a couple of the Classics in 6.5's, and they were great rifles. My first loved the 140gr X bullet with the max load of IMR 4350 from the Barnes #1 manual. 5 shots into less than an inch at 200 yards. It also shot the Ballistic tips well. My favourite practice load was with the 140gr Interloc. I put 500-700 rounds through it off the bench each year while I had that rifle. The second had prettier wood, but wasn't quite as accurate, but was still fine with 1" groups at 100 yards. I will replace it with a LH rifle soon.
Otherwise you have a pretty good selection of calibers to choose from.

As for need, as I taught my wife..."What's need got to do with it?" LOL
If you were wanting a larger caliber, then there are a few choices in the classics, such as that 35 Whelen. But there are others as well: 300 H&H, Win or Wby Mags, 8mm Mauser, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 350 Rem Mag or 375 H&H. A friend has the 300 H&H and loves it! Classic cartridge that doesn't have to be loaded to beat you up, and provides excellent accuracy. Would be very cool, and different from what everyone else is carrying.
Another cool cartridge that would be fun in the Classic, would be the 221 Fireball!

Even being a Winchester nut, I'd love a 6.5x55 in a Remington Classic. I haven't even seen one for sale. I imagine there is a reason.. :lol:

Back