Donor Action.

Harv6

Beginner
Feb 9, 2015
Just curious to see wat you guys are finding Savage 111s for for rifle builds. I found one for $260 tonight in 30-06 plane Tupperware stock and a cheap tasco 3-9. I offered $240 and they bit.

Sounds as if you got a great buy. What are you thinking of building?

That's a fair price.
250-400 (I don't pay 400 for them but I've seen it done)
Mine avg 300 or so
You can find them if you keep your eyes and ears open
Bolt heads are cheap if you can buy the actions
Don't forget the Stevens 200 which is really a 110 action with no accu-trigger and bare bones furniture

Ever since I sold my first rifle, which was a 270 win, I've had the itch for another one. I was lucky enough to have a member from this forum give me a factory Savage stock and barrel in 270 , so ill try that one on and see how it does. If I had to buy a new barrel right now though it'd be a toss up. I like everything the 30-06 has been necked up or down to.

I did a very similar thing a few years ago for my oldest stepson. I found a new barrel on Ebay for $64.00, bought a used Savage 111 at a LGS for $260, and had a local gun plumber swap barrels. The barrel was a slightly heavier contour than the factory sporter so we had to enlarge the barrel channel but that was a minor job.

For a relatively small outlay he now has his very own Whelen and leaves mine alone.

Harv, just my opinion, but I'm very certain that if you became a Whelenite you would be very satisfied with how it performs on anything that gets in front of it, within reason.

Ron

Did I see the words necked up oh I can see a 35 Whelen coming around real soon :wink:.
I am sure that it will all work out for you.

Blessings,
Dan

That would be a good one since all you would have to do to change calibers is to switch or change the barrels and anything made based off the 06 would work ( 35 Whelen Ack Imp ). :mrgreen:

Just think of having a 35 Whelen Ack Imp that will shoot like this.

Attachments

• NCM_0326.JPG
    NCM_0326.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,589
I dunno about Savages. I bought a stack of $299 700s for rebarreling into something other than .270.... 6.5-06, .280, .338-06, .375 Whelen....

Back