Doubt That It Was Worth It

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Re poaching - years ago hunting coyotes solo, well after the regular deer & elk seasons were closed. I was up in the hills watching some mule deer and realized how easy it would be to pop one, haul the meat down to the truck, butcher it at home, let nature take care of the carcass... Fresh backstrap steak. Totally illegal of course.

I wasn't tempted, but I recognized how some folks could be, particularly with a chance at a big trophy deer, elk or moose rack. Moose of course would be difficult to handle alone. Deer, no big deal.

Heck, law enforcement officers make careers out of dealing with greed. There's always a new case, another bad guy to find.

Sigh...

Re poaching - years ago hunting coyotes solo, well after the regular deer & elk seasons were closed. I was up in the hills watching some mule deer and realized how easy it would be to pop one, haul the meat down to the truck, butcher it at home, let nature take care of the carcass... Fresh backstrap steak. Totally illegal of course.

I wasn't tempted, but I recognized how some folks could be, particularly with a chance at a big trophy deer, elk or moose rack. Moose of course would be difficult to handle alone. Deer, no big deal.

Heck, law enforcement officers make careers out of dealing with greed. There's always a new case, another bad guy to find.

Sigh...
All too true, Guy. I know the temptation is always nearby, but character counts for something.

Am I reading this correctly, a lifetime hunting ban, in Montana only?
If so what's to stop him hunting in neighbouring states?
Makes no sense to me, or am I missing something?

The jurisdiction was Montana. Since hunting is regulated by each state, there would be no federal ban. Such a ban could be imposed on migratory birds since they fall under federal jurisdiction. I don't know how adjacent states might react or if there is sharing of such prohibitions. As it stands, without some prohibition by Idaho, Wyoming and the Dakotas, you are correct that he would be able to hunt other states.

"I believe, not sure, that if someone is banned from hunting in one state, some other states, perhaps not all of them, will ban as well.

Like driver's licenses. Suspended in one state, doesn't mean you're good to go in another state."

When I was teaching Hunter Ed, on one of the classes a game warden would come in to give a lesson on the laws. One of the things that came out is if a hunter messed up and was banned from hunting, be it one year or lifetime, the game departments of all the states were notified of the ban and the perp would not be allowed a license or tags. AFAIK, all the states do this. Whether they notify game offices in Canada and Mexico as well, I don't know but it would not surprise me if they did not do so.
Paul B.

Paul is correct, if you have a game violation it is seen by many reciprocating states.
Sad part is that people like that will continue hunting, even without a license. IMHO, he got off way to easy. Five years in the slammer would give it time to sink in!

JD338

It's called the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. Short version: "The Wildlife Violator Compact also includes a reciprocal recognition of license privilege suspension by member states, thus any person whose license privileges are suspended in a member state would also be suspended in their home state."

Long version: https://www.naclec.org/wvc

Member states of the compact: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Will not shed tears, nor lose sleep over this one. As much as I enjoy hunting, I love the outdoors and see conservation as a personal responsibility.

This hit the local news last week, it happened less than 100 miles of here I remember when it first came up in 2020.
Interesting note in the Montana poaching laws there is actually restitution fee added to a poached animal that meet what is considered a trophy ,
1645325652056.png
Dug it up quick, Deer Elk and Antelope have a size requirement, the others are trophy's regardless of size

This only reinforces my practice of taking photos of our local bighorns. I'll likely never draw the tag, but I can hang out with them and photograph them.

rHxYMkml.jpg

It's called the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. Short version: "The Wildlife Violator Compact also includes a reciprocal recognition of license privilege suspension by member states, thus any person whose license privileges are suspended in a member state would also be suspended in their home state."

Long version: https://www.naclec.org/wvc

Member states of the compact: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Will not shed tears, nor lose sleep over this one. As much as I enjoy hunting, I love the outdoors and see conservation as a personal responsibility.
Almost a federal ban then, this makes a lot more sense, hopefully its enforced, if it is the violator is pretty much screwed, and deservedly so!

This hit the local news last week, it happened less than 100 miles of here I remember when it first came up in 2020.
Interesting note in the Montana poaching laws there is actually restitution fee added to a poached animal that meet what is considered a trophy ,
View attachment 16343
Dug it up quick, Deer Elk and Antelope have a size requirement, the others are trophy's regardless of size
I would wonder whether other states would have similar penalties. I don't know that to be the case in the western provinces of Canada, but I do know that a permit to hunt trophy big horn in Alberta is very steep, with some permits auctioned off at $30,000 plus. I would assume that penalties could be stiff if an animal was taken illegally.

I would wonder whether other states would have similar penalties. I don't know that to be the case in the western provinces of Canada, but I do know that a permit to hunt trophy big horn in Alberta is very steep, with some permits auctioned off at $30,000 plus. I would assume that penalties could be stiff if an animal was taken illegally.
Wv has some pretty stiff penalties. Deer penalties increase as the size of the deer increases

Attachments

• 1D058749-73CB-4F2F-8DEE-4763898763E4.jpeg
    1D058749-73CB-4F2F-8DEE-4763898763E4.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 4
Back