Duds

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
The last couple trips to the range with two different calibers I've had one dud each trip. The first one was for my 30-06 with LC match brass that I cleaned in a solution. I think that one there may have still been some liquid in it by chance that ruined the CCI standard primer.

The one last week was for my 308, Nosler brass, CCI primer. I understand that the CCI primers are made from slightly thicker metal than other primers.

I would think if I'm pushing the shoulder back too far during FL resizing, I'd have more than one dud. I have always primed my cases by hand using either the press or an RCBS hand priming tool with no primer tray. So I am handling each primer by hand. I also lube each case with my fingertips w/ the RCBS case lube, just a drop or so. I wipe the cases and my hands off after the resizing. Then clean the primer pocket, trim if needed, and chamfer the rim. Then I prime the shell. But I suppose it's possible I've still got enough sizing lube on my fingers to contaminate the primer on occasion.

My RCBS tool broke and I replaced it with a Lee Autoprime XR w/ tray. So once I order the shell holder, I'll be in business with that and no touching primers again.

I'd just like to avoid having a round go click with a deer in front of me. Any thoughts or ideas on making sure this doesn't happen again? I've got a brick and a half of CCI standard large rifle primers, so I'd like to avoid switching those if possible. Thanks.

Bret

Back the sizing die out 1/4 turn and see what happens....

Having had that issue myself.... It can be very sporadic and hard to sort out.

Just a few thousandths can make all the difference.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

After you back out the sizing die, make sure to chamber some of the resized brass in the rifle to make sure it fits.
Sometimes things just don't go bang.

Went to the range today w new loads for the new gun and they were all over sized duds. I don't why I can't just learn things once and learn them right, but I have to learn the hard way. There really are no short cuts in this reloading game.

You all guessed right, I didn't properly resize by testing in my new gun. Forgot, neglected to, got lazy, and skipped carefully sizing the brass to the new guns chamber. So now I either I have pull it all apart, or see if it'll shoot in my Tikka 308. Thanks for the help guys.

Bret

Another good reason to neck size until cases get snug to closure and then bum the shoulder back 0.002.Rick.

I think what happened is that I set up my RCBS dies, as if it was a Lee FL die, which calls for bringing the ram up to the die and then turning it in another 1/8th to 1/4 turn. I've gradually switched over to Lee die sets that have the collet neck sizer in them, but in 308 I still just have an old RCBS die set. The RCBS ones work perfectly well, when you set them up right, and have gotten excellent results with my Tikka 308. But I'll be getting a new Lee deluxe set soon. I really do like the collet dies and I guess I find the Lee FL easier to set up too.

Also, the loads I shot the first time were either factory, or FL sized to my Tikka. So I'm guessing those two guns have slightly different sized chambers. This is the first time I've had two guns of the same caliber, so it's the first time I've had the issue come up. I guess that probably means I'm going to have to load separately for each gun. I was hoping to come up with a load that worked reasonably well in both .308's. Perhaps if I resize to SAAMI specs, like a factory load, but then it might not be optimal in either gun. I guess I've got to start with getting the new gun to group better than 1.5-3" first. Thanks for the help.

Bret

Like you said, you have to be careful during every step of reloading. I reload for 3 30-06 and 2 25-06. One thing that has worked for me it to run one head stamp for each.

Ruger 30-06=R-P brass
Sauer 30-06=Win brass

For off the bench I don't mind a slight resistance on bolt closure. For hunting ammo I'd prefer not to have any.

I like both ideas of different headstamps and new brass. Now that brass and components are more available, that makes sense.

Back