E-Tip

30-338

Handloader
Jun 12, 2009
Few years back had a 30-06 build used one of Shilen ratchet twist barrels with 1/13 twist. I was just wanting something I could use on a cow elk tag and I worked pretty good load using 150gr E-Tip.

I picked up a left over cow tag 3rd season Nov 2 thru Nov 10 here in Co. At 71 I don't pack camera's etc I'll go back in max couple miles as I hunt alone and pack it long story short I got pretty nice cow and I was impressed with the E-Tip pretty good hole going in and out just little over 100yds. I was up around 9K in some timbers bullet may of hit something going in.

I've shot that load out to 600yds at the gunsmith range at steel plated 12"x12"x1" thick sure ring those plates with that bullet.

My new rifle I had build for this year is 270Wby. Used Rem 700 action in one of D. Holland's stocks and a Mike Rock fluted barrels @ 26". I didn't have the Wby freebore done bullets are seated 30 thou off the lands using 150gr BT and case is headspaced on the shoulders. I've always used IMR-7828/IMR-78289ssc in the Wby I've had build and using Nosler data their start load is 66.6gr/IMR-7828 I started 64gr and I work up to a max of 68gr @ 3201fps. I took that rifle as a back and was going to hunt with for couple days but that didn't happen. The 270Wby is my last build for awhile not doing as much shooting as I use.

I certainly enjoy the E-Tip. I have a couple of loads ready to test in my 30-06 when I get a chance this coming week. I have taken several elk, moose and deer with the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270WSM. The bullet has performed quite well under demanding circumstances.

A friend dropped-off his Rem. 700 CDL SF in .280AI this morning. He wanted the 150 E-tip loaded over 58.0/ RL22 in factory primed Nosler AI cases. He asked for 3.300" OAL, giving about 0.100" to engage in his rifle. He had all the goodies to load. Probally next week sometime we'll hear about his deer hunt!

My first post here but thought I would share a recovered E-tip.

Shot at an elk that was standing away from be about 30 yards away. Placed it under the last rib on the left side. Busted a few ribs there and up by the left shoulder. From there it must have deflected as it ended up just under the right shoulder.

Elk went about 20 yards and fell over. 150 gr starting out and was 148 when I recovered it.

Looks just about like a 180gr E-Tip after running full length through a fat northern Alabama doe:

_IGP2975_zps48abfb86.jpg

I really like E-Tips from magnum velocity cartridges. If I'm able to hunt elk or moose, I'll have an E-Tip chambered for it.

I shoot the ET in a few rifles and have always found that they shoot very well, kill cleanly, and keep on trucking. None of my critters have had enough meat in front of them to stop one yet, but a 200 ET out of a 338 WM take a bit more than a three year old mule deer.

Nice pics!

That looks like a great recovery. Always wanted to try them in the 338 Win Mag, just haven't gotten around to it yet..

Last Saturday, my 14 yr old grandson took his first whitetail buck with a 130 gr ETip out of a 270. Fairly close shot, got a lung & heart, angling across and lodging against skin in the farside neck. First of these, on 5 whitetails, I have recovered. Great performance and delighted with the minimal bloodshot meat..

Congrats buddy! Way to go. Sounds like an excellent bullet, from deer to moose, that bullet has made a great showing..

fishdog52":1dieti46 said:
Last Saturday, my 14 yr old grandson took his first whitetail buck with a 130 gr ETip out of a 270. Fairly close shot, got a lung & heart, angling across and lodging against skin in the farside neck. First of these, on 5 whitetails, I have recovered. Great performance and delighted with the minimal bloodshot meat..

Fishdog52,

Welcome to the forum; we're glad to see you posting. Congratulations to your grandson. Sounds like an excellent shot. Did his granddad build the ammunition for him?

Avneng, welcome aboard. Nice first post!

Elk down, Nosler E-Tip recovered and photographed. Well done!

Guy

Back