E-Tips and 257 Roberts

Scrumbag

Beginner
Feb 22, 2021
Hi folks,

I recently loaded up some Nosler E-Tips in my 257 Roberts and noticed a couple of things?

1) The E-tips are longer than Nosler states
2) if you try and seat to conform to Nosler's published load length, the Ogive is well past the neck? (So much so I had to but a savage crimp in to stop the bullet slipping)

Looks like I will reload those to be somewhat longer than speck to the case mouth sits under the expansion control ring.

Is anyone else noticed this? Or am I serious making a mistake somewhere?

Best wishes,

M

I have also noticed E-Tips are just a little longer than Nosler says, but I’ve never had to seat them past the ogive. The 257 Bob does normally have a more blunt ogive than other .257 cartridges. That may play a part in the required seating depth for your E-Tips. Nosler makes a Partition specifically designed for the 257 Roberts. It has a more blunt ogive profile than those designed for say a 25-06 or the like.

Joec7651":3txdvh93 said:
I have also noticed E-Tips are just a little longer than Nosler says, but I’ve never had to seat them past the ogive. The 257 Bob does normally have a more blunt ogive than other .257 cartridges. That may play a part in the required seating depth for your E-Tips. Nosler makes a Partition specifically designed for the 257 Roberts. It has a more blunt ogive profile than those designed for say a 25-06 or the like.

You may have a point. When I had my "Bob" built I did ask for it to be throated for 117 gr and 120gr bullets so we might get away with not seating them so far into the case.

More experimentation required I think

Scrummy

The E Tip shot well in my 700 Classic 257 Roberts but it's on a long action so I could seat to a longer COL. I don't best accuracy at 0.100" off the lands.

JD338

JD338":1h2awx02 said:
The E Tip shot well in my 700 Classic 257 Roberts but it's on a long action so I could seat to a longer COL. I don't best accuracy at 0.100" off the lands.

JD338

Yes, think I will seat just under the "expansion control groove" (apparently it's not a cannelure...).

Mine is based on an old 7x57 so a "standard" length action. Should be able to seat a fair way out and still get ~ 2 diameters seated in the neck @ ~0.530"

Scrummy

(PS, had a look at seating 87 gr Speer TNTs only have ~0.263" of bearing surface... quite easy to overshoot if trying to load to book lengths)

Back