Elk rifle

Brad,

I'm glad to hear you are a fit hunter, (I'm not sure being good looking makes a difference). With all that long range shooting, I thought you may be somewhat non-mobile. Easy on the orientation, it never crossed my mind. To think of if, I didn't know it was possible to be a avid big-game-hunter and batting for the other team. I suppose anything is possible though.

As I sit here and laugh, (when I should be working) it makes me think of what Lucky Ned Peppers said to John Wayne in Ture Grit. "Thats pretty bold talk for a one eyed fat man". Boy, that comment sure made John angry.

MattStevens":1th3lx4w said:
Jeff,

Those fork/spikes taste better anyway. I have collected the horns of every deer I have ever taken with the exception of one, (that is a story unto itself). I suppose if I really looked hard I could find a couple fork/spikes in there. Good Eats......

I don't have any problem shooting a spike with a spike/doe tag, and in fact I did just that this season too. And I'm not a trophy hunter so horns don't really matter to me TOO much, but geez... my spike actually weighed more at the butcher shop scale, than my "buck" did! :)

Mostly, you could just tell this was one of those days when the deer were up and moving. 3 days left in the season, rut getting started... I would've could've should've held out... I'd filled my spike tag the day before so I had one in the freezer, so to speak... oh well. He'll be good eats, that's for sure.

-jeff

Brad":2uun1c70 said:
MattStevens":2uun1c70 said:
Brad,

Why don't you appear in the photo with the nice bull? After all that has been said in this thread, I'm more curious what you look like.

Matt :)

Matt, I'm a slim, trim and, I'm told, handsome 45 year old heterosexual male... from your question I'm wondering whether you're heterosexual.

I hunt solo for elk but always take self-timed photos... I'm just not in a hurry tp post photos on the internet.

Hey, we should do like on the Dan Patrick show (ESPN radio) when we post:

"this is jeff, 6'3" 205 lbs" DING!

-jeff

Brad":1rffp2pr said:
MattStevens":1rffp2pr said:
Brad,

Why don't you appear in the photo with the nice bull? After all that has been said in this thread, I'm more curious what you look like.

Matt :)

Matt, I'm a slim, trim and, I'm told, handsome 45 year old heterosexual male... from your question I'm wondering whether you're heterosexual.

I hunt solo for elk but always take self-timed photos... I'm just not in a hurry tp post photos on the internet.

Brad

Hmmmmm.....I'm 66 years old, slightly overweight, bald, uglier than smattered shxt.....but I can still climb to 9000' and kill elk!! :lol: :wink: :shock: No 'qualms' for me about posting photos on the net!

Thisabullorwhat.jpg

Not the best bull I've ever taken.....but boy....did it EAT GOOD!! :lol: :lol:

are as 'diversified' as those making them which tells me that......

"One man's gravy.....is another man's poison!"

The elk in the above photo was shot with a .308 Winchester using a 150 gr. Scirocco bullet ahead of 47.5 grs. Varget! He hit on his nose at bullet impact! Shot from 125 yards. :lol: :wink:

You can hit elk in the vitals with a 20MM....and they'll still run half a mile sometimes!! :roll: :roll:

Sharmsman... a revelation for ya. No one's going to solicit you for a homosexual affair (grins)... Congrat's to you. I love the 308,makes good elk medicine.

Funny that our friend from CA would ask for a pic thinking me a fat, old guy. The elk pic I posted is plainly in thick dog hair. Last time I checked that stuff tends to be way up on a given mountain and long shots are impossible. Fact is, I tracked that bull to his bed and shot him at fifty yards while he lay in his bed... he never saw me. This years bull was just an average five point.

Ok Brad, you had to go mention I'm from California. To be absolutly honest, I can't stand the "Golden State." The fact is, you can make a lot of money here compared to other states. I have six years left to retirement and I'm out of here. It's Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or possibly Colorado. Who knows, we could be neighbors.

By the way, I tried to post a self taken photo of a very nice Colorado muley, 7X4 and yes me, but I can't figure out how to do it. I guess I'm lacking the computer skills.

Brad":222uowrp said:
Sharmsman... a revelation for ya. No one's going to solicit you for a homosexual affair (grins)... Congrat's to you. I love the 308,makes good elk medicine.

Funny that our friend from CA would ask for a pic thinking me a fat, old guy. The elk pic I posted is plainly in thick dog hair. Last time I checked that stuff tends to be way up on a given mountain and long shots are impossible. Fact is, I tracked that bull to his bed and shot him at fifty yards while he lay in his bed... he never saw me. This years bull was just an average five point.

Brad

" No one's going to solicit you for a homosexual affair (grins)... "

Whew!! Hot damn....I'm safe! :lol: :lol:

Matt, just messin with ya... seriously. Truth of the matter is I like a lot of California and have a good friend in the Central Coast. I just visited this fall... beautiful place. Love the Sierra's too... maybe my favorite mountain range in America.

For photos, go register at www.photobucket.com

Upload your image to photobucket.

Once that's accomplished you'll have several choices below the photo url, img, etc.

Highlight the entire "IMG" link... drag it into your post. Presto, a photo.

Here's this years bull, average five point:

IM000746.jpg

Brad,

You're right about the beauty of California. The North Coast and the Sierra Nevadas are some of the most stunning places on Earth. The problem is the state has become the nations number one welfare state. It's a liberal blue state, which has become over populated. I don't want to get politically incorrect here, but it aint people like you and I who are the problem, if you know what I mean.

I'm going to the web site you suggested and try the photo thing out.
Matt

Brad here goes, The only thing I can claim is I can walk up just about any mountain and back out again; although, I do admit I've been forced to spend the night, (unplanned) two times. Also, after the hunt Mr. Jack Daniels and I normally see eye to eye.
Untitled-4.jpg

Elksideview.jpg

Both shot with my out-of-state gun. Win Mod 70, boss, 338 WM

Hey bud, great looking animals both!

Pretty handsome and fit guy too (grin)...

DSC00183.jpg

When we don´t have elk here in Sweden i got my "mooserifle", a Sako 75 HS 9,3x62 loaded with 250grn TSX works out to 250yards

Brad":115itrgg said:
For photos, go register at www.photobucket.com

Upload your image to photobucket.

All righty then, if this works then here's last year's blacktail buck and me looking happy. It was a great hunt- I'd scouted the area carefully pre-season, and at the last minute an old college-era buddy of mine and I reconnected and wonder of wonders, he drove all the way from Spokane to go hunting with me! His first time. And then to top it off, I killed this buck on opening day evening with my 30-06 and 180-gn Accubonds- my elk load- and it worked great. Unfortunatly, the picture I wish I was posting, lost in a hard-drive crash and laundering my cell phone, showed the exit wound way far back on his on his right flank which, when you imagine that he was quartering sharply towards me and the bullet broke his left shoulder, is very impressive penetration! Anyway, this was the largest-bodied buck I've killed by about 20 pounds hanging at the butcher. And for you horn guys... hey, that's NOT a bad blacktail, dammit! :)

-jeff
IMG Code - Forums & Boards

Hmmm... I seem to have dragged the link sucessfully but no picture? Maybe it takes a while to upload to the forum? I think I'll stop screwing around and see if that worked <g>!

-jeff

Back