Elk Rifles are Zeroed

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I got out this morning and finalized my elk load for the 338 Win Mag. I tried RL15 and the 210, accuracy was decent, but speed was pretty slow at around 2800. I also tried the 210 PT with IMR4350. It speed was excellent at around 3100, but accuracy wasn't great. So, the final load is the 200 AB, 76.5 RL19, CCI250, and WW cases running right at 3000 FPS.

EDC6D32D.jpg

I wanted the zero about 1.5" low at 300 yards, so I dialed it down a couple of clicks. Also, I used a 6 O'Clock hold for the next three. Easier to center up at 300. Shot these next 3.

77D70562.jpg

DONE!!! I am calling it ready to hunt. With the screws torqued down to 45 inch pounds and LocTited, the gun shot awesome all morning.

87855CD7_zpsb5cae3f2.jpg

The Model 70 7WSM is cranking out the 160 AB's a touch over 3100, and stacking bullets plenty good for me.

27C77956-3689-4C6D-80CE-458F5D8863A2-1885-0000031F34C347E1.jpg

255FD4E4.jpg

C44F6CD7.jpg

I can't wait to hit the mountains. Really excited. I was a little worried the M70 338 wasn't going to make it, but it seems to have wrung me out. It will be sweet to get a chance at a big muley or elk with the rifle. I have all the confidence in the world the 200 AB will smoke elk and deer as far as I wanna shoot...

The 200 AB will absolutely do what you are asking it to do, Scotty. I can tell that you are getting pumped to shoot an elk, go get em and I hope that you see many! That rifle will do fine on elk or anything! I used one of those for 30 years and it worked like a clock, once it was set up and shooting well. Plus it is a very wonderful gift from your wife.

Good going, Scotty. I put three Winchester Supreme 160 ABs through mine to verify my zero this morning as well. Also verified zero on the 7-08. Going to drag the Whelen, .300 WM and .243 out next time, I think.

I can't wait fellas! The rifle has really turned up for me. It shoots well, handles like a good hunting rifle should and I will be elated to hunt my favorite animal on Earth with it!

Kurt, that is just about the same as I am running in the 7mm WSM as well. Hope you are able to take game with yours. I think if I tag an elk with the 338, I will switch out to the 7WSM for deer.. Hard tellin right now though.. It is a fair hike back to the truck.. I might be pretty lazy by that point and just continue to carry the 338!

Scotty

Excellent. You are ready to go and the 200 gr AB will get the job done for you.

JD338

Thanks Jim!

David, how before your hunting elk? Your season must be starting soon.

Either rifle is where you want it to be. I like the guard dogs watching over your 338!

They are good Pups Mike. They are already part of the family!

Yeah, they are handsome dogs. Boxers are all right. I need to squeeze out time to work with my 7WSM again. I need to do some refining on my load.

DrMike":2h90kwm8 said:
Yeah, they are handsome dogs. Boxers are all right. I need to squeeze out time to work with my 7WSM again. I need to do some refining on my load.

Mike, I feel like I'm trying to teach Dale Earnhardt to drive but mine really settled in with 160 ABs, 2.850 COAL, WW cases, CCI250 and 67 grains of RL22. I don't think the groups I post show the true potential of the load. From 300-600 yards it has been very consistent.

I know you said you squirreled away some RL22 as well! Ha!

You're set Scott. That 200 AB load is more than good enough to earn a notch in that Alaskan's stock. Have a great hunt. It looks like there's going to be quite a few of us in search of the mighty Wapiti next week. My Colo hunt starts Sat morning and we roll right into a Mule deer season afterwards.

Here's to good weather and re-sharpening knives!

Looking good, Scotty. That .338 is a timeless rifle; here's hoping you get good view at an elk with it.

Good Luck Scotty,
Those WSMs are awesome.

I'm heading to Colorado on Tuesday for a Saturday morning opening for Elk. My Model 70 Classic 7mm rem mag is stoked with 175 Partitions pushing 2980 fps at the muzzle. I just hope it punches that Elks shoulder as hard as it does mine.

Bruce Mc":38udqr0i said:
My Model 70 Classic 7mm rem mag is stoked with 175 Partitions pushing 2980 fps at the muzzle. I just hope it punches that Elks shoulder as hard as it does mine.

Yowza! I bet. Good Luck Bruce. Where in Co are ya headed?

Bruce Mc":lz4l0gox said:
Good Luck Scotty,
Those WSMs are awesome.

I'm heading to Colorado on Tuesday for a Saturday morning opening for Elk. My Model 70 Classic 7mm rem mag is stoked with 175 Partitions pushing 2980 fps at the muzzle. I just hope it punches that Elks shoulder as hard as it does mine.

Bruce, push me your data when you get a chance buddy. I have my old 7mm Rem Mag that is going to be fed 175 PTs.

Good luck to you all in the mountains. I am hoping the bugles are loud and the elk are plentiful for you all.

Don't forget them big Muleys either. Doesn't get much better than tackling them big grey monarchs.

Scotty,
Glad to see the "Alaskan" shooting as pretty as it looks! Go gett'um!

Scott

muleman":1k6lxgqu said:
Scotty,
Glad to see the "Alaskan" shooting as pretty as it looks! Go gett'um!

Scott

Were going to be in a great camp! All Winchesters! Be lucky if animals even come outta the timber! Ha!

Back