Elk Season is Coming Fast, Fever Anyone???

hightopoutfitter

Beginner
Oct 9, 2008
Only 48 days til the Utah Rifle Elk Season Begins. I am excited to watch some Nosler Accubonds and Partitions put some bulls on the ground again this year. Anybody else getting ELK FEVER!! Lets hear about some upcoming elk hunt plans.

elk25_.jpg

Not an elk hunt but a muley hunt in Wyoming late Oct. It will be my first horseback wilderness hunt so I am both excited and a little worried.

Would love to hunt with you guys for elk. Maybe I'll get lucky and draw a Utah bull elk tag some day!

Washington bear in September.

Washington mule deer in September & October.

Wyoming mule deer in early November... :grin:

Trying to cram a bow hunt in for Washington elk in there somewhere too!

Am really hoping to have a big taxidermy bill and a full freezer by the end of the season! :grin:

Yes, I've got the fever bad. I keep taking my hunting rifles to the range. Loading ammo. Cleaning the rifles. Scouting the local hills for deer sign... Yes... The fever is burning hot! My son has it too! Great stuff!

Hightop - that's one heck of a bull in your photo. What did he score?

I just bought my Colorado unlimited bull elk tag a few days ago when they went on sale for second rifle season begining October 16th. Hope to get a left over cow and doe tag also for second season. They go on sale over the counter August 11th. I will be stretching the legs on my 300 RUM and 7mm Rem Mag tomorrow shooting some steel and setting my drop charts. Lots of loading and prepping in the works today to get ready...

This will be a very action packed fall for me and it is rapidly approaching! Beginning Sept 1st is turkey season, followed by muzzle loader season Sept 12th of which I have a buck and black bear tag, followed by doe antelope season beginning October 3rd then leading into rifle elk/deer seson mid October.

I will take a week of leave each for muzzleloader and rifle season and fit in the antelope and turkey where I can on my normal days off.

Well, it's time to get loading!

Yes, I have the fever, but will not be able to hunt elk this year in Idaho. I have a retirement date from the Air Force early next year and do not want to burn up my leave (vacation time).

Moose opens August 15. Black bear and elk open on September 1. Yeah, its about time.

Drew a bull tag in a very very hard to draw area this year. Can not wait. Taking my 350 REM Mag.

Yes certianly have the "FEVER"! a hair less than 6 weeks now to start Archery Sheep hunting. Will be up scouting both this coming weekend and next and all subsequent if I can pull it off with the "Home Boss" :grin: Also have an Archery Deer tag for the same area. Nothing like the good ole high country Mulies.
Get to follow that all up with the wife having a first season bull tag and my Dad and buddy a second season bull tag.
A lot of hunting to be done....

Good luck to all !

POP... sounds like you'll be hunting some deep dark timber and not the wide open country.

Scott Spencer
'Don't worry!!!
Find a stables near you and take some riding lessons. Let the teacher know what your plans are and they will train you for the hunt. It will make a "BIG" difference in 1. Lack of pain 2. knowlege of how to handle your horse. It's not fun to be saddle sore and lead around by a stubborn horse and it's not hard to handle both situations if you start ahead. I know, I been there!! Start as soon as possible!!!
Greg

hightopoutfitter
Oh Yeah!
The dreams are happening and the bulls are calling. Someday a big one will come my way. I guess I should have been a hunting magazine writer so I could go on all these great hunts. Of course being a millionaire would have been nice too :wink:
Greg

Looking back on my life, I would probably have done better to not be a writer and saved my money for a couple of real good hunts in my life like hitopoutfitter probably provides. It could still happen. I ain't dead yet!
Greg

Str8meat,

Either you are waiting too long to practise at the range, or you plan on shooting a lot of elk. :lol: :lol:

Hope your hunt is successful this fall.

Str8meat,

For sure, it is a classic calibre for elk. What weight bullet are you using?

My buddy and I drew first season elk and all our Colorado friends also drew so just counting the days now.Plan is to use my buds 350 diesel ,with a two ATV rack,and pull my trailer.Meet up with our Colorado friends at dry camp near Lake Avery a week early and fish,scout,and just enjoy good friends..Had to replace all the tires on everything going up this year.Truck,trailer,and ATV.All weather cracked and a blow out waiting to happen..Going to feed some spicy 200 gr AB down the 300 RUM..I'm set on full tilt boogy!!!

230 failsafe bullets. they worked wonders last yaer on a cow and 2 whitetail bucks. they shoot well and group better than 225 gr. ab's dont know why but they do

In my rifles, those that liked Failsafe bullets liked them very much. Those that didn't, wouldn't shoot them for beans. The 160 grain in my 7 RM and the 180 grain in my 300 WSM shoot very well, and I still have a reasonable supply of those bullets.

Back