Enough is Enough?

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
At what point would you say enough is enough as far as prices willing to pay for powder, primers, bullets and reloading stuff? Not talking about all of what we might have on hands and how long it will last. When would you quit reloading due to the price not willing to pay? My son and I were discussing this the other day, and we decided that when out Reloader powders run out we would substitute something else. As for me I would give up on some accuracy instead of paying ridiculous prices. Your thoughts. Dan.

I've never been a good enough shot to hand load for better accuracy. So, for me, it's about two things: making stuff cheaper than I can buy (or being able to make stuff I can't find), and second, just being able to make stuff. How much is too much? I don't know. They keep jacking up the price of ammo, so I suppose it will be a long while before I can't save money by reloading. I've also noticed that certain cartridges are in short supply as well, such as 35 Whelen and 375 Ruger, at least locally. So, some things will remain a reloading only proposition. That leaves reloading just for the pleasure of it. No idea how long that will last. Though, I suppose if it gets too pricey, I suppose I can always turn to making arrows or tying flies.

Yes, ammo and components have become pricey...
But this is still amongst the least expensive part of the past time, when you consider the cost of rifles and optics, and other accessories, and then the cost of the hunts that we go on (food, accommodations, fuel, vehicle, gear, etc.). It becomes a matter of priorities and what one is willing to do to play the game.

No, I am not rich, and have had to pinch my pennies to be able to do what I have done over the years on an income that also had many other responsibilities. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't gamble...so I have this past time in which I spend my entertainment dollar.
I am very fortunate to have that which I have taken years to acquire, and I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to obtain much of that which I desired. I worked, hard to achieve certain goals, and those rewards have been cherished as they have been earned.

So I for one, am willing to pay the cost to keep participating in the past time, and for all that goes with it, as it is my passion, favourite past time, and puts food on the table for me, my family and friends.
It also creates precious memories with family and friends that is priceless!

I’m hoping that the prices will even out more (maybe a change in gov.) Will help with that?
Probably won’t go down much if at all with the way things go, but hopefully.
i plan on reloading until I can’t anymore.
Living in NY has some limitations to say the least, and having to have a background check just to buy ammunition while also having to pay an extra fee just isn’t what I signed up for. So I have no problem making my own.

I use to shoot 2-3 days a week but those are over for now. I have 9 grandkids and they take up most of my spare time. If I knew that grandkids were this much fun I would have started with them. lol With that said, prices have gotten to where I'm just not comfortable spending what it takes to shoot like I use to.

However, I know this thread wasn't about what we already have but I have more than enough to do me the rest of my life but if I didn't I would by just enough to fuel my rifles to hunt and go shoot occasionally

I'm pretty well stocked up with components so my needs are covered. When I get to the point where I have to spend current prices to shoot, I guess I will dig deeper into the wallet. I have no intentions to stop shooting.

JD338

I've got adequate supplies for now. I've been slowing down a bit and don't hunt as much as I used too but I still shoot fairly often. I'll pay what I need to until I finally decide to move in another direction. Things change with age.

I have four rifles that are my favorites and that I shoot when I shoot. I have excellent loads for all of them so now when I shoot it is usually with loads where I want to test something new for them. A different bullet, loads that I haven't shot in ten, fifteen years, etc. Right now, I tend to shoot my 22LR rifles a lot more than I do my centerfires. I will never quit reloading, right now I have enough components on hand to last for possibly eight ten years, and that could be as long as I will be around at 79.

I highly doubt we are going to get back to prices we use to have before 2000. As far as living in NY I live near the PA border and for years now since 1972 I have bought all my supplies in PA.
You are a smart man

JD338

Hunting and shooting are my main hobbies. I don't golf or anything else that takes money. Also, I don't drink, smoke, gamble, or have other vices that people often spend money on. My kids are grown and out of the house, so I have more than enough disposable income at the moment, at least while I'm still working.

I still shoot fairly often, so I haven't really been affected in that way, even when things were really tight a few years ago. However, given that most of my hunting is in the woods at ranges of 100 yards or less, it has not escaped my calculations that my 45 Colt rifle is plenty of gun for me, and I can get lots of loads from a pound of powder, at 20-24gr per load. Given what I have stocked up, I should be fine with just picking up a pound or two here and there, along with a brick of primers when I find them. And if worst comes to worst, I have several pounds of FFg and caps for my Hawken.

Got a notice from Powder Valley they have large rifle primers in stock. $153.93 per thousand with hazmat. $114. before the add on. I could see that if it was local purchase and needed but not sure how high I'd be willing to go otherwise. Reloading has been a very enjoyable hobby for me, but I can see making some cutbacks if this trend in prices continues.

I have more than enough to last the rest of my life which the doctors say is 3-5 years. I do not plan to buy any more components and have had to cut dow/out my shooting. My hunting will be less also. I do have two hunts booked this year. One includes my daughter and son-in-law. When the weather gets better I plan to spend some time at the range if the cancer will let me.
So -sorry to say-- the cost problem will fall on you others. Before I run out I will be in the ground.

Performance always comes at a price. Fly rods, optic, etc. I have the loads I want for my hunting rifles so I'll pay the price. Just cant find 8# of RL26...lol. If you
see any, Let me know.......

I have more than enough to last the rest of my life which the doctors say is 3-5 years. I do not plan to buy any more components and have had to cut dow/out my shooting. My hunting will be less also. I do have two hunts booked this year. One includes my daughter and son-in-law. When the weather gets better I plan to spend some time at the range if the cancer will let me.
So -sorry to say-- the cost problem will fall on you others. Before I run out I will be in the ground.
Hate to hear of the challenge you are facing. None of us know what time we have. We can either make the most of the time immediately before us, or squander what is allotted worrying about what could be or failing to seize the day. Sounds as if you've made your choice, and it is positive. May God give you strength and continued opportunity.

I feel for the ones who are just now picking up hand loading. I couldn't imagine starting from scratch with presses, trimmers, scales and all the other equipment at today's prices. Not to mention finding brass, projectiles, primers, and powder in stock at inflated prices.
I have had a nagging suspicion since 2020 that this incredable reloading inflation is partially because of the amount of new reloaders.
I've been sitting pretty since Obama taught me to buy in good times. But new reloaders post 2020 really have no idea what primers and powders are supposed to cost ( in reality). They've been paying whatever it costs.

It's sad really. This industry is ruined.

Back