Extra rifle?

CamoHunter

Beginner
Nov 11, 2011
This fall I will be driving from Oregon to near Edmonton Alberta for a moose hunt.
I am trying to decide if I should take one or two rifles on the trip. We will be riding ATV's in about 10 miles and hunting out of a spike camp. Space will be limited and outfitter recommended just one rifle. Just curious of what others opinions of this would be. One rifle would be easier for sure.
Thanks,

Camo

I carried two rifles into the mountains for many years. One is more than sufficient if you are familiar with it and it is in good working order. I would expect that your outfitter will be able to equip you in an emergency if that is required. There is some good country in central AB. You should have a good hunt.

Since you are driving, I would have a back up rifle in the truck.
JD338

I've taken two on an expensive hunt (time, money or both) but have also just relied on one. Often the outfitter/guide or someone else in the group has a perfectly fine rifle they're willing to loan you when it is your time to shoot.

When I did my horse-pack trip into the Wind Rivers for elk, I took one rifle and a .44 mag revolver. Mostly for bears. My buddy had another big bore revolver and also his .358 Win, Browning BLR that has accounted for over 20 elk I believe.

I knew I could use his rifle if something were to happen to mine.

When I go to Wyoming, a thousand-mile drive, I take two rifles, just in case. But there's no "pack in" to worry about. I just bring both rifles into the cabin.

Guy

I am headed to Kansas this Dec , and mostly because I will have the option of loading a gun case into my buddys suburban before he leaves Maine, I will most likely be sending both my 25 Whelen & my old .270W, reason being I have seen quite a few problems with optics over the years, after airline travel.............. it is quite common to watch them throw gun cases around .
For years I had my rifles set up with QD mounts and Always carryed an extra scope when hunting a broad. Because none of
My hunting compardre's are LR shooters, I didnt want to travel that far, and have to try and hunt with a borrowed gun, knowing ahead of time the shot will must likely be a long one. So in this case, even the loads for both calibers, and the scopes & the reticles, have been carefully selected , specifically for this hunt.
To have to borrow a rifle to attemp a 4/500 yard shot, with an unfirmilar gun, that would most likely have inferior, caliber, ammunition, Optics, reticles, and likely sighted in incorrectly. Would in my opinion, be a severe disadvantage........
If I never pull the second rifle out of the case we can just haul it back home, but if something goes wrong with either the gun or the scope on this perticular hunt, I want that option of just reaching in a grabing another super tuned gun that I feel totally confident , I can take right out and make that 4/500 yd shot! Jm2cw

In all my years of hunting I have had one rifle failure which was fixed with a ramrod. However I have had two issues with scopes, which without a second rifle along, would have cost me at least two days hunting time. In both cases I have taken the scope from the second rifle and mounted it on my primary.
I "never" leave home without two. Is it not possible to secure your backup rifle at your jump off point? Or by leaving it in your vehicle?

I have had a couple of catastrophic rifle failures. Generally related to 4 wheeling. This is an example of one such incident.

30863596e8252f1df2eccc09c280f100.jpg

In this instance the spare , mounted on the front rack, broke the stock and my primary rifle, slung across my back, had the scope snap in half. It left a neat scope shaped bruise across my shoulder.

Another time I crushed the stock on my 375 RUM, when I slid into a tree while going down a steep hill. I had no spare that trip and turned from a hunter to an assistant guide/packer.

I don't always hunt with a spare, but if going on an extended hunt or traveling very far I like to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always have a backup rifle. Never needed it yet, but need has nothing to do with proper prior planning. 1 is just on the verge of none in my book.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
My initial idea was to take two rifles. The primary will be a Rem 721 in 300 H&H pushing 180 gn NPT or Accubonds. The backup would be a 30-06 with same bullet. Since I am driving up I will care for rifle(s) on the trip, but I am concerned about the trip in on the ATV's and having to leave rifle possibly unattended at camp. My wife will be driving up with me and will take my truck while I am hunting and probably will hang out in Edmunton. The outfitter did say that I would have the opportunity to use a rifle of a guide if I needed it. I definitely feel more comfortable taking a backup but it does create some extra issues for this hunt. We also will do some sightseeing on the way up and take possibly a week to get up there. Hopefully I will have a freezer full of moose meat coming back so the would be a straight drive back.

Thanks again for your replies.
Camo

Sounds like the logistic hassles outweigh the benefits of hauling one.

I probably wouldn't, particularly since your outfitter will have a loaner should disaster strike.

Thebear_78":23m3x5ak said:
I have had a couple of catastrophic rifle failures. Generally related to 4 wheeling. This is an example of one such incident.

Wow, glad you were not seriously hurt. That looked to be some kind of crash...

30863596e8252f1df2eccc09c280f100.jpg

In this instance the spare , mounted on the front rack, broke the stock and my primary rifle, slung across my back, had the scope snap in half. It left a neat scope shaped bruise across my shoulder.

Another time I crushed the stock on my 375 RUM, when I slid into a tree while going down a steep hill. I had no spare that trip and turned from a hunter to an assistant guide/packer.

I don't always hunt with a spare, but if going on an extended hunt or traveling very far I like to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always taken a spare rifle when hunting any distance from home. Only once did I need it. I was in Northern Canada hunting bears. The rain was relentless for hours. Ultimately, the scope fogged and the stock swelled slightly. The stock issue was only cosmetic but the scope was out of commission.

Now, all of my buddies carry an extra rifle even though one spare between us all would be enough.

I often have a back up rifle with me on hunts.

Mostly because I can, and usually have the room to do so.

Quite often it is my old faithful BLR in 358 Win. I also find that if I need something to dig something with teeth and claws out of the bush after an initial shot, this will handle 95% of the work I'll need it to. It has been my saddle/ATV rifle and guide rifle and bow hunting back up rifle for many years.

It is also a handy camp rifle for protection.

On other days, my second rifle is a .22 or my .17 Mach II for grouse, rabbits or other small game.

Funny, that's exactly what my elk hunting buddy had with him all those years ago in the Wind River Mountains - a Browning BLR in .358 Win.

I had the 7mm Rem mag Rem 700. We figured if one rifle went down, we could get by with either.

Guy

The BLR chambered in 358 Win is as classic as it is classy. BlkRam "stole" my last BLR. :cry: Guess I'll have to buy another one day. :grin: It does work well in the bush.

DrMike":1iw8zxc0 said:
The BLR chambered in 358 Win is as classic as it is classy. BlkRam "stole" my last BLR. :cry: Guess I'll have to buy another one day. :grin: It does work well in the bush.

NO NO NO Get a model 71 Winchester 348 !!!!!!!!!!! lol

In regards to the extra rifle, I have NEVER not had two rifles with me. To many things can go wrong and how much room does an extra rifle take up in the truck, snowmobile, sled, canoe,

like Earle mentioned, I would not feel comfortable shooting someone else's rifle for the first time on a hunt, especially a hunt I was paying for, but others may disagree with me and often do lol

yukon huntress":35afx01x said:
DrMike":35afx01x said:

NO NO NO Get a model 71 Winchester 348 !!!!!!!!!!!

What is a Model 71? Is that some mythical cannon that no one has ever seen? :mrgreen:

I know longer have to worry about it since the Major decided to quit working for Uncle Sam. Last year he brought four rifles to camp, including a new browning mdl 71. A couple years ago he brought a 405 Winchester. Handy boy to have around, just wish he would bring more ammo.

When I was invited last fall to hunt with DrMike in the mountains I took 2 rifles with me but took only one of them on the actual hunt storing the other at DrMike. When I have hunted back in the bush normally I take a second rifle & leave it at camp!!

DrMike was so impressed hunting with 4 lefties :lol: I was concerned that I might not be able to find my second rifle to take home :mrgreen: only because I thought that DrMike felt left out.
Gil had mentioned to gerry and myself that he was quite sure that DrMike secretly wanted to be a lefty after seeing our combined unlimited skills (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Back