Factory Seconds...

Finally shot some and I am not real excited about the expansion I saw from the one I could dig up. Barely any mushrooming on them from the 39.0 grain loads. The 37 grain loads shot the best out of my test rounds, but if the 39 grain loads barely expanded then the 37 were more than likely even more dismal. The 39 grain loads were a close second on the accuracy and showed no signs for being too hot so I think I will load up some starting at 39 grains and going up to 39.9 and see what happens. At this point I am thinking IMR 4320 might be a poor choice and I might have to buy a bottle of the superformance just to try it out since it is the only other powder I can get my hands on right now.

I would load 39.5, 40.0 and 40.5grs of 4320 if that's what I was using. I would think it's a touch fast though.

The mono bullets I shoot all shoot their best right around book max charges from .5 under to .5 over. Honestly when I load Barnes or GMX I go 1gr under book max and start working up from there.

Picked up some RL17 this weekend and really tempted to grab some superformance. I wasn't happy with the expansion and if I can get close to the velocity they show in the load data it should improve the expansion a lot.

Finally got a chance to load up some with the RL17 and do some shooting. Wow what a difference! Based on the data I am guessing my muzzle velocity is in the low 3000's. The max load is listed at 46.7 grains so I started at 45.7 and went up to 46 grains. The accuracy still needs some work but the expansion is where I want it now.

Attachments

• bulletlineup2.jpg
    bulletlineup2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,231
  • comeapart.jpg
    comeapart.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,230
Looks as if you are well on your way to a successful load. Congratulations.

Looks good

I know with mine the harder I pushed them the better they shot. Going from 44grs of H4831 to 45.2grs H4831 cut groups from almost 2" for 3 shots to .7" for 5 shots.

I think you will really like those as hunting bullets.

46.1 grains of rl17 seems to be the best shooting load. I went up to 46.5 grains and the accuracy wasn't bad on any of them. The hotter they were the more the bullets came apart so I think 46.1 will be a good place to stop. I am looking forward to putting them through their paces on actual deer. I also picked up some 100 grain partitions so I am going to see if I can get them to shoot better with the rl17....they were all over the place with my beloved h4350. We have a pretty liberal deer season here so I should be able to test out both bullets and see which one I prefer. I am wondering if the rl17 might push the partitions too fast. Being a lot softer bullet than the GMX I am a little concerned that if I push them too fast they might not perform well. Anyone have any advice on partitions and speed?

What kind of velocity are you looking at? It's tough to push a Partition too fast. The front may "over-expand" but it will create a lot of damage while doing so. The rear will continue to penetrate quite well.

That's why Weatherby has used them in their cartridges as factory premium ammo for decades. The Partitions perform well at speed.

BTW - which cartridge are we discussing? I'm guessing the 6mm Rem but I don't know... Must have missed that post somewhere in the thread.

Regards, Guy

chispbrown27, I don't know if you've read the bullet tests on various 6mm/.243 bullets we've compiled, on both artificial medium and actual results on game, but they're well worth reading.

Our well respected member "6mmRemington" published a very interesting test that may be of some use to you, as he also used a 6mm Rem, with the stubby 18.5" barrel. He also has tested the same bullets from his 26" Ruger Number One if you want to see the same bullets at higher velocity:

Link: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19372

David (6mmRemington) and his son are serious hunters and have even taken elk with their wonderful 6mm Rem rifle.

Check out the Bullet Test section if you haven't. It's full of good info from good hunters & riflemen.

Regards, Guy

I have read through the bullet test section and David and I have discussed the Remington 600 in the past. He is definitely a knowledgeable guy on the cartridge and rifle we both shoot. I am not positive on the velocities because I am out of town right now and do not have the data in front of me, but I believe that with rl17 and a 100 gr. bullet the data says in the low 3000's at the barrel. I don't think the speed is needed for the distances I typically shoot but H4350 didn't give me groups like I wanted. Not that they were awful, but the Hornady Interlocks were SO much easier to pull into really nice tight groups. The partitions were certainly "minute of deer", which is certainly good enough, but I like to pull them in good and tight. I will keep you guys updated on how it goes.

RL17 has been very good to me as of late. Took me awhile to figure it out but anyplace 4350 works, RL17 seems to work just as well.

Finding a place to buy RL powders in the Northwest is like the searching for the horn of the Unicorn! I gave up and just stayed with IMR or Hodgdon powders to keep the frustration in my life in balance!

Around here RL is more common than anything. I did happen across some h4350 a few weeks back though. The RL17 has me pretty happy with the GMX's, but still wanna play with the partitions. Had a death in the family last week so haven't had a chance to mess around with it at all....hopefully this week.
On a side note, the family member that passed was an uncle who, along with my Grandpa, taught me most of what I know about hunting and fishing. He was a big man with a heart to match and I can honestly say that every day I now spend out in the field or on a lake somewhere will be slightly less special because I can't share it with him.

Alliant powders are scarce in Canada. Out problem is governmental regulations. Manufacturers must submit powders to government agencies for testing prior to importation. The cost of each new powder is in the vicinity of $10,000. We are essentially a small market compared to the US. Consequently, we don't see many of the newer powders available in the States. Added to the problems of distribution and general availability that is affecting the States, powders can be quite scarce here. It will change ... someday. :(

Next Saturday is opening morning of deer season so we shall see if the gmx's are as impressive on game as they are on paper. Finished loading up what I have left of the bullets today, but luckily Midway still has the factory seconds in stock so I will have to order some more. The accuracy is nice with 46.1 grains of RL17 behind them and based on the expansion I am seeing they should do the trick. I take two kids every year opening weekend, so I won't be the first to take a deer with them. They live an hour to two hours away from me so they don't get much time to shoot, but I always make sure they can put 3 in a 3 inch circle from 100 yards. One has a tendency to goof off when target shooting but always pulls a dead on shot on deer and the other never fails to put his first three shots in the circle but gets the shakes bad when aiming at a deer and pulls the shot off.....go figure! With the cold snap we had this past week the deer are moving hard and it should be a cold but great opener this weekend! Now if I can just keep my toes from freezing!

Back