Family Antelope hunt

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
12 years ago I met my amazing wife Melissa. At the time of our introduction, my wife to be knew I hunted and fished as often as I could. While she loved to go fishing, she did not like guns or hunting. After some time, she slowly began to come around and began to do a little shooting with me. A couple of years after our marriage she even went pheasant hunting with me at a local club that I belonged.

Two seasons ago, she took up archery and even purchased a deer tag. Unfortunately, she never found a buck to shoot but then again maybe that is why she purchased a tag--lack of real opportunity to take a shot. Last spring, she asked if she could go antelope hunting with me in Wy :shock: :grin: . Plans were set into place to develop a load for her 257 Roy in a Remington 700 a gun that we won at an RMEF banquet three years ago. After some fairly significant load development, I took her to the range twice to get sighted in and to get comfortable with her rifle. We also took two trips up to the hills to shoot milk jugs off of shooting sticks. Very soon, she was blowing up milk jugs left and right out to 250 yards :mrgreen:

On the 9/28 we began our trip with our four children to Gillette Wy from the central valley of Ca. The night before the first day, I slept only about four of the eight hours that I lay in bed. I was very excited to have my wife with me on this hunt--it has always been my dream to have my wife and kids hunt with me.

The first morning we put multiple stocks on several bucks but could never get closer than 300 to 400 yards. Both of us wanted her to have a shot at a buck under 250 yards. Finally after about a dozen stocks, we found a cooperative buck at 225 yards. With one double lung shot, the buck was down. It was hard to tell who was more happy my wife, my four kids or myself. I think the smiles say it all--too bad I can't get all four children to smile at the same time.
View attachment IMG_0078.JPG
View attachment IMG_0089.JPG

After whacking her buck she took a nice fat doe with one shot as well
View attachment IMG_0095.JPG

Later that evening, after quatering out Melissa's two antelope we went out for an evening hunt that produced a nice little buck for my self
View attachment IMG_0109.JPG

I am such a lucky man

And on top of this wonderful trip the STW and the 257 Roy both killed their first animals

That's really great :) congratulations to all of you and especially Melissa on her pronghorns. Love the group shot of her and all the kids too, you are a lucky man.

Great story.
Congratulations to your bride and yourself.

JD338

Life long memories all around...like you said, you are a luky man. Well Done! Congrats to your wife! By the way that is a pretty nice buck yourself. What did he measure? CL

Great photo's! Sure nice to see the kids and whole crew in there together. Antelope hunting is so fun and it's a hunt you can take everyone along on, young and old. Thanks for sharing.

What a great account of a very special hunt! You are a blessed man. Not only does your bride share your hunts, but you have four lovely children watching mom and dad share in this great sport. Congratulations to each of you.

This isn't really how it reads but,

"A family that plays together, plays together!"

I love those family hunting pics. Memories recorded forever !!!

Oops that last pic should have been of my antelope and the children. Thanks guys. This hunt was one of the high lights of my life. For a long time, I didn't think that I would get my wife to hunt with me. Now she is making plans for the next antelope season

View attachment IMG_0127.JPG

Tht's a great shot of you and your kids, it will definitely be a treasured memory for years to come.

Thanks Gerry. I take the kids deer hunting with me here in Ca. every year. At the end of the year, my wife takes pictures of the years hunts and places them on a coffee cup. I have three coffee cups with the years pictures so far. Every day at work I look at the cup and smile no matter how bad the day is going.

A great picture, indeed. You are a blessed man. And what a neat idea to have the hunt memorialized on a coffee cup!

Dr. Mike, Starbucks sells the cup. The cup has a clear plastic sleeve over the plastic or stainless in cup. The base unscrews and you can glue/tape you pictures together or on top of a piece of paper and place in between the clear plastic and the inner core. I love it.
View attachment IMG_0762.jpg

I have a similar cup with pictures of my six grandchildren. I alternate between it and one with a whitetail deer on it. One will almost always be with me when I'm carrying my coffee with me. That is a neat cup, however.

I can't wait until my 2 boys get big enough to go although I doubt mom will partake in any hunting. Congrats runtohunt.

I'm telling you, the smiles of your children--just because they are with Mom and Dad--are priceless. You'll treasure the memories of such hunts until the day you must leave this earth.

That is what it is all about. That hunt will never go away in the minds of your wife and children.
Thank you for sharing that it made my season :)

Blessings,
Dan

Back